Car Talk

Truck got egged the other day and didn't notice it for a couple of days. Tried power washing and got most of the baked-on egg off. Short of getting a screwdriver to pry off the few remaining bits of eggshell and yolk still stuck to the hood, any ideas on how to remove them?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

$411. The quick lube place is going good for it though. The service manager at the dealership i took it too said this place is their best customer lol, but there always good about fixing their **** up

Pickup trucks are their own category

I see Brvheart hasn't been in this thread for nearly a month, so I dunno if he's still doing this, but figure why not. This is a two-parter. First:I have an '04 Pontiac Grand Prix , VIN being 2G2WP522241103887, zip being 46256. Roughly has ~65k miles on it.Let me preface this by saying my hearing goes in and out - no condition, just laziness of cleaning my ears out - I mean I can still hear fine, but just not as well as I should on the good days. Everytime I initially start my car and leave the driveway backing out, and turn the wheel completely, it sounds like there is some sort of strenuous activity going on when creeping and turning the wheel. I have also heard the same noise when I am at a drive-thru and going around their ****ing mazes. I don't know how else to describe the noise. Before this car, I had an '01 Grand Am, and had the same noise, but it was accompanied by a grinding feeling when I turned the wheel while driving - turned out the Power Steering fluid was incredibly low. The current problem with my 04 Prix does not have the grinding, just the strenuous sound - and I've checked the level of the PS fluid. Any ideas? It's just annoying to me to hear that noise.Second:I have used the same shop, a Midas, for the last 3 years (the entire time I've owned the car). Pretty much out of convenience (as it is not even 5 minutes from my house and always gets me in, especially when I need something checked out) and I don't even shop around cuz they do the work immediately for me. I like the garage, and the manager, but I've always wondered if I'm getting scammed by what they're charging. I'm going to list everything I've had done by this garage work wise below, and would love to know if I'm being hoodwinked or getting a fair shake. Also, are you aware of any good mechanics in the Indianapolis/Fishers area if these are bad prices. If you don't have the time, then I understand - I think this is a great thread, and don't want to take up a lot of your time.- 04/16/2008 (Brakes- I was able to do my Grand Am's, but felt uncomfortable doing the Prix's Brake Pad = 120.99 + 50 labor Disc Brake Rotor = 105.99 + 12.81 labor Brake Pad = 66.99 + 50 labor Disc Brake Rotor = 63.99 + 12.81 labor Brake Fluid Flush = 27.03 + 42.96 labor Grand Total: 830.57- 06/11/2009 (Brought in bc car was overheating) Diagnostic Labor = 85.37 Thermostat & Gasket = 55.11 + 128.06 labor Wynn's Cooling System Service = 47.03 + 48.66 labor Grand Total: 402.56- 07/25/2009 (Brought in bc car wouldn't start nor jump) Megatron Battery: 100.95 + 25.61 Labor = 134.46- 11/21/2009 (Brought in bc car was overheating) Wynn's Cooling System Service = 47.03 + 48.66 labor Wynn's Fuel System Service = 37.03 + 48.66 labor Intake Gasket Set = 289.99 + 469.54 labor Grand Total: 1019.27- 02/05/2010 Wynns Cooling System Service (No Charge for some reason) Coolant Elbow = 14.70 Starting/Charging Test = 25.61 labor Belt Tensioner = 235.99 + 213.43 labor Belt (Unspecified, part 375k6) = 104.99 Grand Total: 630.07- 04/14/2010 (Brought in bc ABS and Check Engine Lights came on) Front Hub Assembly = 259.99 + 110.98 labor Rear Hub Assembly = 251.99 + 85.37 labor Grand Total: 804.16The Wynn shit really makes me think I'm getting taken to the ringer, plus all the labor. Appreciate input.Thanks in advance!

I see Brvheart hasn't been in this thread for nearly a month, so I dunno if he's still doing this, but figure why not. This is a two-parter. First:I have an '04 Pontiac Grand Prix , VIN being 2G2WP522241103887, zip being 46256. Roughly has ~65k miles on it.Let me preface this by saying my hearing goes in and out - no condition, just laziness of cleaning my ears out - I mean I can still hear fine, but just not as well as I should on the good days. Everytime I initially start my car and leave the driveway backing out, and turn the wheel completely, it sounds like there is some sort of strenuous activity going on when creeping and turning the wheel. I have also heard the same noise when I am at a drive-thru and going around their ****ing mazes. I don't know how else to describe the noise. Before this car, I had an '01 Grand Am, and had the same noise, but it was accompanied by a grinding feeling when I turned the wheel while driving - turned out the Power Steering fluid was incredibly low. The current problem with my 04 Prix does not have the grinding, just the strenuous sound - and I've checked the level of the PS fluid. Any ideas? It's just annoying to me to hear that noise.
This noise is almost certainly a pump getting ready to go out. They start whining when they are near death. Since it's when you're turning, it's probably your PS fluid pump.1.3 labor hours is standard, so any labor charge less than $130 is reasonable. Buy the part on your own and bring it in to the shop.Something everyone needs to understand. When you buy parts from a mechanic, they are just ordering them from the local Napa or Autozone and getting them delivered to the shop. They then look at the invoice and MULTIPLE the total by 2.5 or 3. That means when a part is $5, you're paying $15, but when a part is $100, you're getting sexed in the rectum. If your mechanic won't install parts that you bring in, and many don't, then find a new mechanic. The labor will not be covered under warranty, which is why many places don't want to do that. If the part fails or whatever, then you will have to pay the labor charge again. This is still the poker equivalent of pocket aces for the customer. Always buy your parts on your own and have them installed. The only time I wouldn't suggest that is on a part that has a very high chance of failing, like a transmission. The labor charge to install a transmission will be around $600-$800, and if you buy a transmission on your own, like many people do, and the transmission fails (industry wide, transmissions have a 35% failure rate, used transmissions from junk yards are about 50%), then you are paying another $600-$800 to try again. That's when it's not worth it.
]I have used the same shop, a Midas, for the last 3 years (the entire time I've owned the car). Pretty much out of convenience (as it is not even 5 minutes from my house and always gets me in, especially when I need something checked out) and I don't even shop around cuz they do the work immediately for me. I like the garage, and the manager, but I've always wondered if I'm getting scammed by what they're charging. I'm going to list everything I've had done by this garage work wise below, and would love to know if I'm being hoodwinked or getting a fair shake. Also, are you aware of any good mechanics in the Indianapolis/Fishers area if these are bad prices. If you don't have the time, then I understand - I think this is a great thread, and don't want to take up a lot of your time.- 04/16/2008 (Brakes- I was able to do my Grand Am's, but felt uncomfortable doing the Prix's Brake Pad = 120.99 + 50 labor Disc Brake Rotor = 105.99 + 12.81 labor Brake Pad = 66.99 + 50 labor Disc Brake Rotor = 63.99 + 12.81 labor Brake Fluid Flush = 27.03 + 42.96 labor Grand Total: 830.57
The brake pads would have cost you like $30 for a lifetime guarantee at Napa, but the labor was reasonable.
- 06/11/2009 (Brought in bc car was overheating) Diagnostic Labor = 85.37 Thermostat & Gasket = 55.11 + 128.06 labor Wynn's Cooling System Service = 47.03 + 48.66 labor Grand Total: 402.56
Again with the parts cost. You paid 3x more than you would have on your own, but this isn't out of line, price wise. You probably didn't need a coolant flush, but I wasn't there, so there is no way of knowing if they tested your fluid. Next time you are told to get the fluid changed, ask them to show you the tester. A fluid tester is something that everyone should buy. They are super cheap at Napa or where ever, and you just fill it with a little fluid from your car and if the 5 little balls float, then your fluid is still good. Armed with that knowledge you will be able to press your mechanic on why he's suggesting the $100 service. (other than to just inflate your final invoice.)
- 07/25/2009 (Brought in bc car wouldn't start nor jump) Megatron Battery: 100.95 + 25.61 Labor = 134.46
You need to learn how to replace a battery. It's so easy, and would have saved you at least $40. Next time, get a buddy to take you to Wal-Mart and buy a $60-$80 battery. Remove two bolts, and replace.
- 11/21/2009 (Brought in bc car was overheating) Wynn's Cooling System Service = 47.03 + 48.66 labor Wynn's Fuel System Service = 37.03 + 48.66 labor Intake Gasket Set = 289.99 + 469.54 labor Grand Total: 1019.27
This all depends on the shape of the gasket, and I have no way of knowing if you got screwed. If they had to do the lower gasket set, then the labor is 4.6 hours. (times $100, seems to be what they charged you on labor, which is reasonable for a lower gasket.) But the upper gasket is only 2.7 hours. I don't know if they charged you for the lower gasket and just changed the upper gasket. That kind of thing happens all the time across the country. The best way to prevent it is asking questions. (It's hard though when you don't even know that there are two different intake gaskets.)The parts cost of $289 seems unbelievably out of control. I don't know what the price of the gaskets were, but gaskets are usually dirt cheap and all labor... I don't have time to check the price, but this is just more proof that you should buy the gaskets and bring them with you. I'm guessing that they were around $40 or $50 for the shop, but they charged you like they were closer to $100. That seems really high... but even if they were $100... I would rather pay $100 then $289.99.When they changed the gasket, they would have definitely needed to add several gallons of coolant, but they charged you for a "Cooling System Service". This was them just pouring in several gallons of fluid and charging you $100. (Their cost < $10.)I have no comment on the fuel system service since I didn't see your car and it was fairly cheap.
- 02/05/2010 Wynns Cooling System Service (No Charge for some reason) Coolant Elbow = 14.70 Starting/Charging Test = 25.61 labor Belt Tensioner = 235.99 + 213.43 labor Belt (Unspecified, part 375k6) = 104.99 Grand Total: 630.07
Belt tensioner is my only comment here. Labor is 1.5, so they overcharged you. Part was probably in the $20-$40 range from Napa.Belts are a bear to replace on these cars, so that was reasonable for the belt. They probably felt bad for jamming the rod up your anus on the tensioner.Also, they shouldn't have charged you for the coolant service, you didn't need new coolant. (you had your coolant replaced only 3 months prior, and coolant will last for years/100,000 miles) Buy a tester. They just had to fill a little fluid that came out when they replaced the elbow. Many places would charge you $100 for the coolant service here, and many people would happily pay it, without knowing that nothing was done. They probably added 1/4 of a gallon, at a cost to them of <$1.
- 04/14/2010 (Brought in bc ABS and Check Engine Lights came on) Front Hub Assembly = 259.99 + 110.98 labor Rear Hub Assembly = 251.99 + 85.37 labor Grand Total: 804.16The Wynn shit really makes me think I'm getting taken to the ringer, plus all the labor. Appreciate input.Thanks in advance!
Did you replace all four hubs or just one in the front and one in the back.Labor on both fronts is 1.6. One front is 1.0.Labor on both rears is 1.6. One rear is 1.3.Labor right now is pretty commonly in the $85-$110/hr range. So the labor here seems low and the parts costs seem crazy high.You can call Napa in the morning and price out the wheel hubs to see if they took you to the cleaners, but remember that the common practice is cost x 3 when you are buying parts from your mechanic.

Thanks a bunch for taking the time to reply. It's good to know that about the Wynn's stuff - I would never have known it was good for another 100K miles. Also good to know, with the exception of that intake gasket set, that they have been somewhat reasonable. I was just somewhat concerned that over that 2 year period, I had to take it in 6 times (albeit brakes and battery are a must). I have read a few places on the interweb that this car isn't the best car to own with all the problems it can and might have. Anyways, thanks again. And I definitely will be coming into this thread next time I have a problem to see what you geniuses have to say. I forgot how great this Off Topic forum is - it's amazing that this is probably the only part of the forum that is worth a visit anymore. The strat and general poker forum is horrendous now. I'm just assuming, but would I be wrong to think that a well known mechanic such as Midas would not install a part I bring in, whereas a mom and pop mechanic (sorry, or a corner mechanic) would be more reasonable and more apt to installing a part I bring in? One last thing, and this happened to me this morning, which jarred it in my head. I'd say 20% of the time that I try to start my car, you can hear it try to start up and purr, but it won't keep runnin. Trying again and revving it a few seconds to help it purr keeps it going. The other 80% of the time, the car starts fine. This has happened from day one back in '07. Should I be concerned?And thanks again man, for the quick reply. This is a great thread to have started for the community.

I'm just assuming, but would I be wrong to think that a well known mechanic such as Midas would not install a part I bring in, whereas a mom and pop mechanic (sorry, or a corner mechanic) would be more reasonable and more apt to installing a part I bring in?
I worked at a national brand, like Midas, for 2 years, and we installed customer parts all the time. We just made sure that they realized that the labor wasn't under warranty if the part was bad or went bad. You'll just need to call and ask.
One last thing, and this happened to me this morning, which jarred it in my head. I'd say 20% of the time that I try to start my car, you can hear it try to start up and purr, but it won't keep runnin. Trying again and revving it a few seconds to help it purr keeps it going. The other 80% of the time, the car starts fine. This has happened from day one back in '07. Should I be concerned?
Have Midas adjust your idle.
Have Midas adjust your idle.
What should I expect that sort of thing to run? And if I were to go in, I would just ask to have my idle adjusted?
What should I expect that sort of thing to run? And if I were to go in, I would just ask to have my idle adjusted?
Just explain to them that the car is dying at idle, and they should be able to take care of it. Depending on what's actually causing the problem, I would guess < 1.0 labor hours.

This is a pretty awesome service Brvy.I'm having what I think is a pretty simple and common problem. My gas leaks when I fill it up, and also sometimes when parked on a hill. The problem has been getting very slowly worse, and I may now be able to afford to fix it. A mechanic told me a while ago the fix basically meant replacing something that resembled a jug (I told him to talk to me like I was an idiot), and that I didn't need to fix it so long as it was not bothering me too much. As the problem is in the jug, and not the gas line, it should not get significantly worse, nor be dangerous.He suggested I not do it, as the jug alone cost more than $100, and would run about an hour's labour.Thoughts?

This is a pretty awesome service Brvy.I'm having what I think is a pretty simple and common problem. My gas leaks when I fill it up, and also sometimes when parked on a hill. The problem has been getting very slowly worse, and I may now be able to afford to fix it. A mechanic told me a while ago the fix basically meant replacing something that resembled a jug (I told him to talk to me like I was an idiot), and that I didn't need to fix it so long as it was not bothering me too much. As the problem is in the jug, and not the gas line, it should not get significantly worse, nor be dangerous.He suggested I not do it, as the jug alone cost more than $100, and would run about an hour's labour.Thoughts?
Didn't we already talk about this like 2 months ago!? You need to fix something that is leaking gas, I don't care if your mechanic is comfortable with it. Mechanics are crazy. You need to fix it or sell your deathtrap car.
Didn't we already talk about this like 2 months ago!? You need to fix something that is leaking gas, I don't care if your mechanic is comfortable with it. Mechanics are crazy. You need to fix it or sell your deathtrap car.
Probably. My point was that it has gotten slightly worse, and I can afford to get it fixed, so I'm going to. Just wanted to make sure I understood the repair and potential cost.

I bought a battery recently at a store called batteries plus. They are actually as cheaper or cheaper than Wal Mart for the batteries I have researched. I went to grab the battery from the sales guy and leave and he said "we'll install it". I informed him I could do it, it was not a problem. He then told me they did it for free when you buy a battery. Well. Ok.I drove around back and not only did they replace the battery but they cleaned all the connections and really made sure it was all secured properly.Unless forced to, I will never buy a battery anyplace else.

I bought a battery recently at a store called batteries plus. They are actually as cheaper or cheaper than Wal Mart for the batteries I have researched. I went to grab the battery from the sales guy and leave and he said "we'll install it". I informed him I could do it, it was not a problem. He then told me they did it for free when you buy a battery. Well. Ok.I drove around back and not only did they replace the battery but they cleaned all the connections and really made sure it was all secured properly.Unless forced to I will never buy a battery anyplace else.
they should really emphasize the "plus" in their name better, you think?
they should really emphasize the "plus" in their name better, you think?
BP-Logo.jpgI couldn't find a storefront of it, but their logo is pretty much the same. It is in orange... that's emphasis!
BP-Logo.jpgI couldn't find a storefront of it, but their logo is pretty much the same. It is in orange... that's emphasis!
It might have something to do with the cost of labor, but I think JLL's point was more of a 'you should promote this seemingly awesome courtesy that you extend to your customers more than putting a + in your name'.Or something?I'm pretty impressed that you save your records. I couldn't tell you how much I have spent on my cars in their lifetimes.
I'm pretty impressed that you save your records. I couldn't tell you how much I have spent on my cars in their lifetimes.
I like to be reminded of how many times I get bent over.Plus, I want to make sure the same things don't keep recurring.
I like to be reminded of how many times I get bent over.Plus, I want to make sure the same things don't keep recurring.
I imagine it would be difficult to confront your current store with the idea that you are getting hosed. It might be easier to buy parts from napa and politely insist on better pricing or something. Obviously once you arm yourself with some knowledge they don't have the upper hand, and it seems like the labor is fair. If you are happy with that aspect and they are willing to install customer parts, why find another shop?
  • 5 weeks later...

So I stopped my Midas today and said...Me: "I've got an 04 Grand Prix that is dying on idle. Can you give me an estimate on what that would run?"Jackass: "Well, just getting it in for inspection is $69.99. Then we go from there."Me: "Well, all that needs done is adjusting the idle."Jackass: "Well it's done by computer, so it could be the computer, or it could be the computer not letting a part get enough idle"WTF? Seems a bit of a hassle. Is this something that NEEDS to be fixed at some point? Or is it optional? Will it do damage to the car if I don't repair it? Keep in mind, this only occurs when starting, never driving or idle after driving. Just starting.

So I stopped my Midas today and said...Me: "I've got an 04 Grand Prix that is dying on idle. Can you give me an estimate on what that would run?"Jackass: "Well, just getting it in for inspection is $69.99. Then we go from there."Me: "Well, all that needs done is adjusting the idle."Jackass: "Well it's done by computer, so it could be the computer, or it could be the computer not letting a part get enough idle"WTF? Seems a bit of a hassle. Is this something that NEEDS to be fixed at some point? Or is it optional? Will it do damage to the car if I don't repair it? Keep in mind, this only occurs when starting, never driving or idle after driving. Just starting.
They are correct, and no it doesn't need to be fixed.

brv, i just picked up a 1968 Dodge Charger RT that needs a resto. (its in mediocre shape, got a great deal on it, but it needs a lot of work. numbers match 440 with 4 speed pistol grip, B5 blue, paid 9k for it.) do you know of a place that might sell or have replica parts for original Chargers? Thanks in advanced.

brv, i just picked up a 1968 Dodge Charger RT that needs a resto. (its in mediocre shape, got a great deal on it, but it needs a lot of work. numbers match 440 with 4 speed pistol grip, B5 blue, paid 9k for it.) do you know of a place that might sell or have replica parts for original Chargers? Thanks in advanced.
What parts do you need? All of them?
What parts do you need? All of them?
new wiring, new suspension, im going to rebuild the engine and im sure that ill need some new parts for that. interior is in great shape for sitting in a barn for 20 years. and probably transmission.

I don't know of any dodge specific sites that sell new parts for a 68, but Beans might. You may want to PM him.

I don't know of any dodge specific sites that sell new parts for a 68, but Beans might. You may want to PM him.
k, thanks for the help.
just found a great site dedicated to muscle mopars for anything. moparts.com. hah. google is awesome.
  • 2 weeks later...