Car Talk

Thoughts;
I think it looks pretty ugly, especially the rear half of the vehicle, but if someone gave me one I probably wouldn't be pissed.
1987 Suzuki Samurai.Fuel pump has a nipple/tube at the bottom and it looks like it's leaking oil out of it. Is this nipple/tube supposed to be connected to something?
probably not, but if you are leaking gas it will be a smart idea to take it into a shop rather than die.
  • Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

$411. The quick lube place is going good for it though. The service manager at the dealership i took it too said this place is their best customer lol, but there always good about fixing their **** up

Pickup trucks are their own category

probably not, but if you are leaking gas it will be a smart idea to take it into a shop rather than die.
Researched this online a bit and it appears that if the vent tube is leaking oil then the diaphram is not working and the pump needs to be replaced.Thanks brvheart.
Researched this online a bit and it appears that if the vent tube is leaking oil then the diaphram is not working and the pump needs to be replaced.Thanks brvheart.
ANYTIME!
ANYTIME!
Hope you didn't think I was being sarcastic...... :club:
  • 4 weeks later...

i just bought a used 1998 mazda mpv 4x4 suv/minivan thing for the harsh winters on gravel roads (way) up north.i'm pleased with the purchase--it has a 3l v6, roof rack, 208k km, no rust, full (basically non-existent) maintenance records, etc., and seems to get decent mileage so far for something so ginormous (about 20mpg hwy), and i talked a dealer down to just over book value. it runs quiet and smooth, has basically new off road tires, and everything under the hood is clean to boot.i have a couple questions, though:i can't really find too many good reviews of this thing online. how long should we expect this to last? when it starts up, there is this light that says "leveler" that comes on and flashes for about 1-2 minutes. the manual says that this corresponds to a hydraulic system in the back that is making the car level based on load, but doesn't say anything about how long it should take or whether one can drive while it's sorting itself out back there.also having to do with the suspension--it's a bit stiff for my tastes, and i was wondering how much it costs/if it's possible to switch that out for a smoother ride.also, if anyone knows how easy it is to get a stock mazda stereo deck out of the dash and replace it, i would appreciate that info.

i just bought a used 1998 mazda mpv 4x4 suv/minivan thing for the harsh winters on gravel roads (way) up north.i'm pleased with the purchase--it has a 3l v6, roof rack, 208k km, no rust, full (basically non-existent) maintenance records, etc., and seems to get decent mileage so far for something so ginormous (about 20mpg hwy), and i talked a dealer down to just over book value. it runs quiet and smooth, has basically new off road tires, and everything under the hood is clean to boot.i have a couple questions, though:i can't really find too many good reviews of this thing online. how long should we expect this to last? when it starts up, there is this light that says "leveler" that comes on and flashes for about 1-2 minutes. the manual says that this corresponds to a hydraulic system in the back that is making the car level based on load, but doesn't say anything about how long it should take or whether one can drive while it's sorting itself out back there.also having to do with the suspension--it's a bit stiff for my tastes, and i was wondering how much it costs/if it's possible to switch that out for a smoother ride.also, if anyone knows how easy it is to get a stock mazda stereo deck out of the dash and replace it, i would appreciate that info.
Is it an ES or an LX?

Technical Service Bulletins:0902209 04/06/2009 Body - Service Bumper Specification Change0700608 10/15/2008 A/C - Musty/Mildew Odor Elimination0100608 02/11/2008 Engine Controls - Oxygen Sensor Removal Precaution0200607 10/03/2007 Wheels - Stain Prevention Information0501406 01/16/2007 A/T - Cooler Line Flushing Procedure0105106 01/10/2007 Electrical - Battery Charging Precautions0700506 11/28/2006 A/C - Tracer Dye Usage Recommendations0903906 10/27/2006 Body - Wind Noise From Around Windows0800306 10/27/2006 Air Bag System - Affect of Accessories On Air Bag Sys.0103606 09/19/2006 Ignition System - Spark Plug Removal/Installation0103806 09/19/2006 Cooling System - Reconditioned Coolant Recommendations0200106 07/20/2006 Wheels - Wheel Lock Installation Precautions0102504 01/13/2005 Battery - Test Procedures0901003 12/31/2003 Audio System - No Sound From CD Player/Speakers0800103 05/08/2003 Air Bag System - Parts Replacement After Deployment0100100 04/01/2003 Engine - No Start/Rough Idle After Timing Bel R & R0100200 04/01/2003 Engine - 60K Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley InspectionM0100699 04/01/2003 Engine Controls - Hard Cold Engine StartingT00198 04/01/2003 Instruments - Tachometer Needle on Wrong Side of PinS00398 04/01/2003 Body - Sliding Sunroof Water Leaks0901000 04/01/2003 Keyless Entry - Transmitter Battery Inspection0900700 07/28/2000 Interior - Cigarette Lighter Does Not Work Properly0100100R 03/09/2000 Engine - No Start After Timing Belt Replacement0100200R 03/09/2000 Engine - 60K Timing Belt Tensioner Inspection0901299 08/23/1999 Paint - Iron Particle/Industrial Fallout Damage0101899 05/28/1999 Year 2000 - Computer Systems ComplianceF01498 12/09/1998 Throttle Adjustment Screw - Adjustment PrecautionG00198 10/22/1998 Battery - Dies In A relatively Short Period Of TimeST00698 09/30/1998 NGS System - Test Lead InspectionST00598 08/25/1998 NGS System - Reprogramming ServiceS0902198 08/05/1998 Front Power Window - Chatter/Grind/SqueakS0800598 08/05/1998 Seat Belt - ExtendersS0901898 07/29/1998 Door Weatherstrip - Wind Noise Around DoorsN00198 04/15/1998 Steering Wheel - Slightly Off Center.T0900398 04/08/1998 Audio Unit - IdentificationS0900398 03/18/1998 Sliding Sunroof - Water Leaks To The InteriorST00198 02/23/1998 Star Tester - New Version Program CardsS02097 10/23/1997 Bumper - Painting PreparationST00397 10/10/1997 Tools - Special ServiceST00497 10/10/1997 NGS System - Reprogramming ProcedureST00895 10/24/1995 A/C - R134a Training/Equipment RequirementsST00394 10/28/1994 Brakes - Use On Car Brake Lathe to Correct JudderLet me know if you want to read one of these in particular and I'll post it.

REMOVAL 1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.radio1.gif 2. Remove the hole covers by inserting a small, tape-wrapped, flathead screwdriver into the slot and carefully prying them off without scratching the center lower panel. Pry up and pull off the hole covers carefully to prevent the posts from breaking off. 3. With the beveled parts of the SST facing inward, insert them into the audio unit.radio2r.gif 4. Pull the SST as shown to slide out the audio unit. 5. Disconnect the audio unit connector and antenna jack to remove the audio unit.INSTALLATIONCAUTION: * Make certain that the wiring harness and antenna feeder are not caught between the audio unit and center lower panel. If the harness or antenna feeder is caught between the audio unit and center lower panel, it may become the cause of trouble or malfunctions.radio3.gif 1. Connect the audio unit connector and antenna jack. 2. Insert the audio unit until each clip clicks. 3. Insert the hole covers. 4. Connect the negative battery cable.

ES afaik. the LS has leather, right? (i can't find this written anywhere, tbh)the bulletins you listed are like recall notices but not that drastic, right?
They aren't necessarily recall notices... but instead, things that have happened so many times, that they had to come up with a solution for them.
99 Isuzu Rodeo 2WD 4 CylinderBrakes have started locking up when it's raining and you hit the brakes fairly hard and also occasionally when it is not raining and you are breaking while going over bumps or divots in the road. The car just slides for about 2 - 3 seconds until the brakes 'catch' and stop. Brakes and rotors appears to be fine and we had the ABS recall fixed several years ago when it came out. After a couple of google searches I've read some similar issues where the remedy was as simple as replacing the front shocks? Would/Could shocks actually have anything to do with the brakes locking up?Here is one of the responses from another forum word for word "Sounds like your problem is with your shocks. Sounds weird but the way ABS works is that it looks for wheel slip. When your shocks are bad, any little bump causes the tires to lose contact with the ground and the ABS sees the speed difference between different tires and reads 'slip'. The grinding noise and the pulsation you feel in the pedal is the ABS pump cycling to pump your brakes. The bad part about 'pumping' is that it almost always increases stopping distance on dry pavement which is why you hit something and messed up your QP."btw that response wasnt directly to us, we never hit anything, its just a post that was similar to our situation
FU - I finally put on some new front shocks and did a slight rear pad adjustment & seems to have fixed this issue. Wont know for sure until we have a good rain.
  • 2 weeks later...
I will hit 188,888 miles on my way home from work today.I know you all care.
RIP Monte Carlo. 192,XXX miles on it.Picking up a new Blazer tonight.Probably going to donate the car to get rid of it ASAP with ease.
  • 2 weeks later...
get to a light and when I come to a complete stop, the engine dies. put in park and car starts up fine. drives and sounds like it normally does.laughing-jesus.jpg
fypSeveral things could cause the problem... I'll try to ask a mechanic about it tomorrow. What's the VIN number? If you don't know or can't get it... tell me year make model engine size, etc etc... including SX SEL EX LX or whatever letters are at the end.My initial guess is something is causing low idle.
get to a light and when I come to a complete stop, the engine dies. put in park and car starts up fine. drives and sounds like it normally does.laughitup.jpg
fypSeveral things could cause the problem... I'll try to ask a mechanic about it tomorrow. What's the VIN number? If you don't know or can't get it... tell me year make model engine size, etc etc... including SX SEL EX LX or whatever letters are at the end.My initial guess is something is causing low idle.
fyfyp2003 mazda protege 5danke

So I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 and earlier in the summer I started getting a real "creaking" sound from the front driver side when I turn left or right. It sounds like an old door creaking when it slowly opens or shuts. After closer inspection it's definitely coming from the front driver strut, but I know NOTHING about cars. When I got my oil changed yesterday, I asked about it and the guy said mine would be greaseless struts, so odds are I'd have to replace it.Is that the case? Is there something I could do, even temporarily that would prevent the heavy creaking sound? Nothing I can spray in it? Is there a spring in that box that probably needs replaced?Sorry, once again I don't know much but it's going to be impossible to sell this car with that sound.

How come when I fill up my car I get about 265 miles the first half of the tank and then only 160 miles the second half?
I actually think I know this one. If I'm not mistaken it's because as the tank gets more empty there is more room for the gasoline to vapourize which takes away from your fuel.I could also be dead wrong, something a friend told me a long time ago.
How come when I fill up my car I get about 265 miles the first half of the tank and then only 160 miles the second half?
How do you know it's only 160? Have you driven it until it's out of gas?
I actually think I know this one. If I'm not mistaken it's because as the tank gets more empty there is more room for the gasoline to vapourize which takes away from your fuel.I could also be dead wrong, something a friend told me a long time ago.
Interesting, it makes sense I guess. So would filling my car when I get to around a half tank ultimately get me greater mileage in the long haul?
Interesting, it makes sense I guess. So would filling my car when I get to around a half tank ultimately get me greater mileage in the long haul?
That's what I've always thought.