<<the Official 2009 Texas Rangers Thread >>

5 game win streak... haven't given up a single run in 2 games... 3 shutouts in 5 games... outscored opponents 27-6 in last 5 games.. Swept the team with the best record in baseball last week.Still... no respect.Now bring on the Tigers...who for whatever reason seem to own our arse. Which Colby Lewis will show up tonight?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
That article brought tears to my eyes.
I've been mostly unaffected by this story. I mean, yeah, it's super sad and all that, but it didn't really have any sort of emotional resonance with me.Then I read this:"Shannon Stone, 39, fell over a railing in left field during Thursday night's game in Arlington, Texas, as he reached for a foul ball tossed to him by outfielder Josh Hamilton. Stone was at the game with his 6-year-old son, Cooper.Stone's mother, Suzann, told The Associated Press her son had gone to the ballpark in hopes of catching a ball. Suzann Stone said Friday that Shannon Stone and his son had even stopped on the way to Arlington on Thursday to buy Cooper a new glove."That got to me.

This is pretty tragic and hits home with me..I recently took my 6 year old to his first MLB game, and all he wanted was a souvenir ball..We went there 90 minutes early to watch batting practice. Our tickets were first row in the outfield..For about 30 minutes I tried to get the attention of the opposing player to toss me and my son a ball..He finally did as he tossed the ball very similarly to what Josh Hamilton did..I caught it and there was no bigger joy than watching my sons face as i handed him an official MLB baseball.Im sure this is exactly what this poor man wanted to do for his kid..Its a tragedy and I cant imagine what this boy has gone through and will have to live with the rest of his life watching his father fall to his eventual death.Tragic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hearing that boy cry and watch his dad die was very sad.... tough thing to forget.On a lighter note.... winning 11 in a row does NOT suck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
i know what you've been up to.
Last summer?Back to Back WORLD SERIES Championships !Good game Tigers!And Joe Buck can suck it.... Rangers hater and horrible announcer. Hey Joe... it's obvious you know little about baseball and nothing about the Rangers.... just an FYI is pronounced "Wa-Hara" .. not "U-E-Hara" and it's pronounced Elvis ANDREWS not "OnDruss"... friggin idiot.
2hnstnm.jpg
Jesus! I'm guessing that's not any of our old gamblers from FCP who are now serious poker players, but is just some random dude? Also, it would have been insane to bet $100k on them a week earlier, but the odds must have been equally insane. On the 29th they'd already made the playoffs.I don't have much rooting interest, but I'm mildly rooting for the Cardinals - even though it's kinda boring to see them in another WS - just because of their incredible run to take the WC and then beat the Phillies (and the Brewers, but beating the Phils was more impressive).
Jesus! I'm guessing that's not any of our old gamblers from FCP who are now serious poker players, but is just some random dude? Also, it would have been insane to bet $100k on them a week earlier, but the odds must have been equally insane. On the 29th they'd already made the playoffs.I don't have much rooting interest, but I'm mildly rooting for the Cardinals - even though it's kinda boring to see them in another WS - just because of their incredible run to take the WC and then beat the Phillies (and the Brewers, but beating the Phils was more impressive).
Darren Rovell tweeted it, but I don't know who made the bet.I'm rooting for the Rangers because fuck LaRussa. That sentiment is half-hearted at best though. I hope it's a high-scoring series. I only like pitching duels when it's the top-tier guys dueling. CJ Wilson vs Chris Carpenter is nice, but not exactly Verlander vs Halladay.
Darren Rovell tweeted it, but I don't know who made the bet.I'm rooting for the Rangers because fuck LaRussa. That sentiment is half-hearted at best though. I hope it's a high-scoring series. I only like pitching duels when it's the top-tier guys dueling. CJ Wilson vs Chris Carpenter is nice, but not exactly Verlander vs Halladay.
The anti-TLR is pretty much my only rooting interest too. I hope he keeps yanking his pitchers after the 5th inning, and the relievers start getting hammered. With the Cardinals success against lefties, it'll be a tight series. I just couldn't stand it if TLR's luck + overmanaging led to a win here and added to his mostly undeserved lore.Love to see the Rangers win by just putting good hitter after good hitter out there, overpaying for free agent relievers, and in general just giving a middle finger to traditional analysis. Also, I hope the final out is a Mike Napoli defensive play because Jeff Mathis is just an inferior human.

Yeah now that you guys reminded me of LaRussa and how annoying he is (just mentioning his name reminds me how annoying he is), I'm pretty ambivalent about who wins. It would be kind of okay to see the Rangers win their first ever championship. I agree with DA that close, high-scoring games would be the most entertaining, unless somebody has a really amazing pitching performance like a no-hitter or something crazy. I also enjoy any "pitching duel" if it comes with a lot of exciting defensive plays. Basically, I hope it goes 7 games and is a memorable series.

These first 2 games have been pretty awesome baseball.... some fantastic plays and great pitching.I think now that the series has shifted back to Texas... the offense(s) will take over. The Ballpark in Arlington is pretty home run friendly and the warmer temperature is going to help.