Pokervt Review

I just returned to the Poker Scene in July after a 3 year break. The first thing I noticed on the FCP boards was the announcement of Poker VT. I had always been a fan of DN and respected him as a player and a person. It was his name that got me to sign up for PokerVT. The PokerVT Website is fantastic. The developers listened to the subscribers requests and implemented a lot of them. The site design is great and the technology is top notch. I hadn't heard of Small Ball and went through DN's section on this right away. It wasn't anything ground breaking, but did re-emphasize some points that I would look over on occassion. Again, the technology used to present the information was great. Once I was passed the Small Ball, I turned to DN's videos. DN has always been a great speaker and teaches his concepts well. I was just getting started with HU play online and it was nice to have him walk me through his thought process throughout the hands. Next I moved on to JC's content. The first video I watched was from October... 2007! I find it kind of hard to believe that they have been producing videos this long and still have such a shortage of content on the website. It was fairly obvious that JC had never really coached anyone before and DN had not trained him on how to properly instruct an audience. It seemed like JC just launched a table and hit record. It didn't look like he had any concepts in mind and simply walked us through his hands. Most of his comments were similar to, "I am going to push here", "I'm going to check raise here", etc... He really didn't go into why he was choosing specific actions against specific players in relation to the board and position.JC has come a long way since his original video and I think he is trying harder than anyone else on the website. It is going to be very dificult for him to receive feedback on his videos when the PokerVT crew waits over 2 Months to post it! I remember one of his videos where he mentioned the date and asked for feedback at the end. Turns out the video was produced over 2 months ago. How is JC supposed to improve as an instructor with that kind of lag in submissions? Adam's videos were fairly similar. He has a lot of them, but the majority of them are fairly old and obviously done a long time ago. Again, it doesn't look like DN offered up any training before setting the guys loose. One thing that I really liked was the video where Adam and JC play heads up. The video was edited so that you could hear each player's thoughts throughout the hand. I thought that was a great format. Too bad it was such a short video and the idea was never revisited. Annette has just 3 sections? (I don't count Q&A) She obviously isn't taking the project seriously. Don't know why she is even involved at this point. As many have mentioned in this forum, the lack of updates is absurd. I fully blame DN, or whomever is running the site. I have seen DN online many, many times since PokerVT was launched. DN also played in a lot of the WCOOP Events. As far as I can tell, he didn't bother to record a similar session. How hard is it to get your mic out and start recording? Honestly, there is absolutely no excuse for the subscribers to miss out on the WCOOP content. If he did record it, why haven't we seen it yet? It has been 3 months! DN also does commentary for live games. He rehashes the same hand over and over and over. In essence, we really only see 1/3 the number of hands evaluated as they would lead you to believe. Again, no effort! DN's latest update was duplicate material! He submitted the same content that we saw on day one! That is so insulting, we are not idiots! This obviously isn't a mistake as it has been posted in this forum before and still hasn't been corrected. Do they really think we are that dumb? Most updates are "Q&A" sessions. Give me a break! The "Ask the Pro" questions were obviously all filmed over 1 or 2 days (same clothes), and they post a few responses each week trying to drag it out? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the content, but making me click on 50 independant videos one at a time rather than stringing a group of them together so that PokerVT can count each question as "content" is a joke. The initial sign up fiee was ridiculous! The three month price was more than 6 months at all the other sites. One of the admins was on here once stating how it is comparable with other sites in the industry... Wrong! Double is not comparable. It is quite obvious that they are out to make the quick buck rather than keep customers along for the long term. Any successful business owner will tell you that consistent, loyal, long term customers are what you go for. DN has put this site together for the sole purpose of the Hit and Run! There is no defense for him, he obviously has no interest in it as he is "busy" with other things. I understand he has a lot going on, but 2 hours a week to support something that his name on is too much to ask? My next comment is not meant to be mean, but to make a point. JC and Adam really don't know what they are doing. And by that, I mean no one is really giving them any direction. No one is giving them assignments. They are poker players, not instructors by nature. DN is obviously not suggesting that they play a $5 SNG, play a short-handed MTT, play $50 NL. I know some of that might be boring to them, but let's face it... the high stakes players are not looking for training. Especially from novice trainers! DN should be evaluating ALL of their videos (again, the site is attached to his reputation) and offering suggestions on how they can better present the information. I am pretty sure that over 80% of the subscribers to PokerVT are $100NL or lower cash players or $55 and lower tourney players. I understand their time is worth a lot more than 1 or 2 buyins per hour at that level, but it is not about the money made at the table, but the content put on the website that keeps users coming back which in turn puts money into everyone's pocket. 5 Hours a month of $25 or $50NL would probably have tons of people continuing their membership equating to thousands of dollars. The math is simple, sacrifice a few hours for a future return. From what I have read on the forum, it sounds like JC has actually contributed A LOT of material, and some genius at PokerVT is rationing it to us with one update from him every 3 or 4 weeks. Again, this does nothing to help the sites image, the subscribers education, or the trainers skills. In conclusion, I have cancelled my membership. I went in with very high expectations and was severly disappointed. This project had tons of potential but DN has let it fall apart. He was obviously after the quick buck. I personally have lost all respect for DN. His actions in this business say a lot about who he really is. Nice guy or not, he just wants our money. Don't get me wrong, I like money too, but everything that I do is done with a sense of pride and ownership. I would never deceive people that look up to me in an effort to take their money and give them nothing in return. JC and Adam, good luck with the site. You guys are truely trying, but it is going to be very tough for you to be successful with this project due to the lack of leadership from the top.

Agree with you 100%.Feel its very insulting when you put up a decent amount of money and they give you 1 hour tops of content each month.Im going to cancel my subscription before November 31th, love the idea of the site but they aren't simply trying good enough to make this site work.

Agree with you 100%.Feel its very insulting when you put up a decent amount of money every month and they give you 1 hour tops of content each month.Im going to cancel my subscription before November 31th, love the idea of the site but they aren't simply trying good enough to make this site work.
Be patient you guys. DN is filming a 1/2 no limit video as we speak. He's working hard to fix it, ad as we all know, DN's a huge winner in online cash games, so his insight is going to be world class.
Be patient you guys. DN is filming a 1/2 no limit video as we speak. He's working hard to fix it, ad as we all know, DN's a huge winner in online cash games, so his insight is going to be world class.
We should not have to declare a full scale exodus before he does something. Reposting past videos is WEAK. No doubt he has something to say, and is a fantastic teacher, SO SAY SOMETHING AND TEACH US! We're listening, but he hasn't said anything for a LOOONG time.

Excellent review, agree with you 100%. I'm also quite disheartened at the latest upload of "New" content. There's no denying Daniel is an impressive instructor, theres simply just a lack of suitable content for specific sections. The Poker VT marketing team must realize the online cash game instructional videos are what most novice players are attracted too most, the site just simply needs more of them, LOTS more. I agree about the Q and A, waste of space really, it's very general stuff you could probably see in a Cardplayer interview. Hopefully content will increase in the right areas soon or I'm sure they will find themselves very short of subscribers in the not to distant future.

Disappointnig. I am looking into seriously getting back into poker and was expecting PokerVT to be a good investment/the way to go about it, but after reading this it sounds like the concept is good but the content is lacking. I'll wait until the reviews improve to pony up my $150!Thanks for the review.