God On Trial -- Only On Until 10/16

Masterpiece Theatre on PBS just aired a stunningly moving and powerful movie set in Auschwitz called "God on Trial." The prisoners debate, in extremely learned theological ways, whether God has violated his covenant with the Jews by allowing the Holocaust to unfold, or whether He is testing them or something else entirely.I'm absolutely serious that there is some hellacious learning here -- in just a couple of minutes they establish that Jews are a people of law who entered a legally binding agreement with God, and that they have a history of debating with God and even getting him to change his mind at times. They go on to quote scripture smoothly and in context, and to ask a question that honest people of faith have struggled with for millennia: when suffering is all around, where is God?It is truly a riveting piece of work. But it is only available to be watched online until this Sunday, 11/16. If you care at all about issues of belief, do yourself a favor and go here to watch it:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/godontrial/watch.htmlI have nothing to gain by telling you this, and no agenda to push. I was just blown away by the show.

Masterpiece Theatre on PBS just aired a stunningly moving and powerful movie set in Auschwitz called "God on Trial." The prisoners debate, in extremely learned theological ways, whether God has violated his covenant with the Jews by allowing the Holocaust to unfold, or whether He is testing them or something else entirely.I'm absolutely serious that there is some hellacious learning here -- in just a couple of minutes they establish that Jews are a people of law who entered a legally binding agreement with God, and that they have a history of debating with God and even getting him to change his mind at times. They go on to quote scripture smoothly and in context, and to ask a question that honest people of faith have struggled with for millennia: when suffering is all around, where is God?It is truly a riveting piece of work. But it is only available to be watched online until this Sunday, 10/16. If you care at all about issues of belief, do yourself a favor and go here to watch it:http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/godontrial/watch.htmlI have nothing to gain by telling you this, and no agenda to push. I was just blown away by the show.
Very cool....thanks for the heads up !

Just finished watching it. It's pretty well written and acted. I thought the strongest part was toward the very end, with the last character (the silent rabbi?) who went on his rant in the next to last chapter.There isn't anything "mind-blowing" about the arguments presented obviously, but it was definitely worth watching.

Just finished watching it. It's pretty well written and acted. I thought the strongest part was toward the very end, with the last character (the silent rabbi?) who went on his rant in the next to last chapter.There isn't anything "mind-blowing" about the arguments presented obviously, but it was definitely worth watching.
Yea...there wasn't any great revelation but it was interesting to watch.Knowledge is good....
Tell that to the people of Sodom and Gomorrah
Is that the story that includes someone's wife who turns around to see the action and turns into salt (or ash, or something)? As a kid, I remember being amused by the fact that my teacher expected us to buy it.
Is that the story that includes someone's wife who turns around to see the action and turns into salt (or ash, or something)? As a kid, I remember being amused by the fact that my teacher expected us to buy it.
LOL...Yea... all the homos lived in those 2 towns.Astronomers...or is it astrologers now think that area was destroyed my a meteor.Which...if you think about it... this happened in Genesis so if a meteor did blast those towns...one could come to the conclusion that God did it.
I always thought Jesus was a Jew. Guess I was wrong.
The king of them, which they did not accept, with new rules and regulations freeing them from the law, which they did not accept as well. For Christians this is a non-issue in that a Jew can be a Christian just as easily as anybody else can. Jesus wasn't just a Jew, he was the most supreme Jew ever, bar none. Part of renouncing being a Jew is/would be accepting the Bibles position on what happened. I suppose that must be hard. Oh, well, everyones go a cross to bear I guess. At least ours is not literal.
Astronomers...or is it astrologers now think that area was destroyed my a meteor.
It's neither astronomers nor astrologers.
Which...if you think about it... this happened in Genesis so if a meteor did blast those towns...one could come to the conclusion that God did it.
One could certainly come to that conclusion.
The king of them, which they did not accept, with new rules and regulations freeing them from the law, which they did not accept as well.
A king that is not accepted is like a donut with no hole.-Ty Webb
Part of renouncing being a Jew is/would be accepting the Bibles position on what happened. I suppose that must be hard.
Yes, accepting the Bible is what makes it hard for Jews to convert to Christianity.

When we were in DC last summer... we were confronted by a group called Jews for Jesus.We took their flyer to read at lunch...then on the way to the White House we were confronted by a group called Jesus for Jews. I said "No thanks...we already got the flyer on the other side." My daughter noticed the difference so for the rest of the day we made jokes about "We aren't the Judean Peoples Front. We are the Peoples Front of Judea!" (Monty Python) Back on track... I didn't understand how someone could be a Jew AND a Christian. It seems to me that "Christ" is the part that separates the 2.

Back on track... I didn't understand how someone could be a Jew AND a Christian. It seems to me that "Christ" is the part that separates the 2.
They're not, bud. They're Christians that are using a ridiculous argument to try and gain new converts. And they waste a ton of money doing it for almost no results...apparently they didn't get the memo reminding them that jews are a generally intelligent people.
Good idea. Let me just turn around and tell---Oh noes! I'm salt!
l o ****ing l