The Real Winners At The World Series Of Poker

You guys need to get more creative. Dummy up some gambling losses and your net win is zero. IMO they should all play golf with some poker celebs and blog about it and claim they lost there asses to ivey and negreanu
You have obv never seen these 2 play. The govmt would never believe that you lost money to them
Why all the whining here?Obama will soon redistribute this money to all of us!!!SHIP IT! :club:
HAHAHA, I am in class and just laughed my ass off when i read this.... thanks!

Also, I am pretty sure that the players at the final table found and hired a account manager/lawyer in the break between the tourney and the FT.... whatever tax loop holes they could get, the got....

You guys need to get more creative. Dummy up some gambling losses and your net win is zero. IMO they should all play golf with some poker celebs and blog about it and claim they lost there asses to ivey and negreanu
Yea, but the government, unlike your pesky friends who find out you won money at poker, don't ask, "but how much did you lose?" They just care that you paid on what you won.

Wow that is terrible.Eastgate is fine with a 72% tax rate as long as he doesn't pay it, takes the countries free healthcare etc.Soon as he's up to the plate to pay, he bails and moves to London.Paying taxes is patriotic!

Ylon Schwartz of Brooklyn, New York, finished in fourth place for $3,774,974. He is a professional gambler so he'll owe self-employment tax on his winnings. He'll also owe state and New York City income tax. His likely tax bite is $1,396,304 to the IRS and $387,966 to the New York Department of Tax & Finance.This is shamefulThe guy makes $3.8 and pays $1.8 in taxes.He should have moved to Nevada or Florida and saved $400KOh well, at least we have a new republican in the ranks for 2010.

Monaco would be the safest place to go. This is also why you should not sign a contract with any major poker sites if your Canadian because than poker becomes your proffesion and you will be subject to more taxes. At least thats what someone told me who placed in the money at the NF wpt.

Plus:

Russian Ivan Demidov, who won $5.8 million for placing second at the World Series of Poker, said he will share most of that with a Russian financial supporter who helped him get here.
"I have a backer that pays for me, and, yeah, I'm going to share the monies with him, with him getting more than me," said Demidov
, 27, who did not identify the supporter.The entry fee for the main event at the World Series is $10,000. Demidov said he had no regrets about cutting in the backer, whose investment would not have paid off had Demidov gone out early."Without him, I wouldn't be able to even come and play here," said Demidov. "He also took me to some previous tournaments, where I was able to get the experience I needed to finally do well at this tournament."This year's winner, Peter Eastgate of Denmark, said he paid the $10,000 entry fee. Did he receive any backing that might entail sharing his $9.15 million?"That's confidential," said Eastgate.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/poker/2008-...-eastgate_N.htm

"I have a backer that pays for me, and, yeah, I'm going to share the monies with him, with him getting more than me," said Demidov, 27, who did not identify the supporter.
yakov.jpg

Eastgate moved to England after the first part of the tournament, as far as I know, can not blame him, there are some talks about him not having to pay taxes, but no one knows for sure, even SKAT has to look into it, and they are also looking into 30 other high stakes players at the momentHowever the rules on online Poker are much better, if the Pokersite have a license within the European Union, the winnings are taxfree.

well... we all know his monetary gains from winning the wsop will far exceed his first place winnings anyways.. he's obv set if he can do his "poker ambassador" duties for pokerstars (if anybody will even be able to understand what he's saying in the commercials)... not to mention he won't have to buy himself into tourneys anymore.but yes.. that is a huge cut..

Ylon Schwartz of Brooklyn, New York, finished in fourth place for $3,774,974. He is a professional gambler so he'll owe self-employment tax on his winnings. He'll also owe state and New York City income tax. His likely tax bite is $1,396,304 to the IRS and $387,966 to the New York Department of Tax & Finance.
I don't think this is true, since the money was not earned in NY. I'm not 100% sure b/c gambling income may be treated differently, but I know if you work in several states in a given year, you have to pay taxes in the states you do the work in.
What's the point of even having large poker tournaments when that much money is stolen by the government? Lets say I get together with a group of people. We all have money that we have already paid taxes on when we earned it from our jobs. We decide we want to redistribute that money by playing a game. What gives the government a right to a cut of that money again once it has been redistributed via said game?
Well, yeah, except the WSOP ME isn't played among friends at someone's house.