• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if Olberman ever has a functioning brain he would be forced to kill himself out of contempt for his own stupidity.
Olberman should have stuck to Sports Center, since he left I have come to realize what a complete moron he is.
I can see why you guys dislike him. What kind of an insane radical calls for more love and tolerance in the world?
Actually H, Olbermann is to the liberals what Rush is to the conservatives. That's not to say either of them don't have something useful to say once in a while. It's just that you have to wade through so much garbage to get to it that it's not worth it.

I'm at work so I can't watch the video, but...Who would have guessed that Obama being elected also was probably the main reason prop 8 passed? One of my oldest and closest friends is a lesbian who was married last year in Massachusetts (you know, I think that is the first time I've written the name of that state out since HS - it felt foreign to me, lol), and she told me it would pass because African Americans generally are anti-homosexual. I was a bit doubtful of that because you just expect something like this to be shot down in California, but she was dead on. African American voters were over 70% in favor of prop 8, and Obama's candidacy obviously insured a larger than normal turnout from that group of voters.

I'm at work so I can't watch the video, but...Who would have guessed that Obama being elected also was probably the main reason prop 8 passed? One of my oldest and closest friends is a lesbian who was married last year in Massachusetts (you know, I think that is the first time I've written the name of that state out since HS - it felt foreign to me, lol), and she told me it would pass because African Americans generally are anti-homosexual. I was a bit doubtful of that because you just expect something like this to be shot down in California, but she was dead on. African American voters were over 70% in favor of prop 8, and Obama's candidacy obviously insured a larger than normal turnout from that group of voters.
It was actually from a big mormon population and push in CA. Did you see all the people on the major street corners holding the yellow yes on 8 signs? The majority of them were mormon.
It was actually from a big mormon population and push in CA. Did you see all the people on the major street corners holding the yellow yes on 8 signs? The majority of them were mormon.
Yes, I'm Mormon. That's why I just smoked a pack of newports and had three vodka tonics.
AA vote > Mormon vote by the numbers. If you want to talk money that came in for yes on 8 from the Mormon church and other out of state 'interested parties', then sure, but as far as the actual voting demographics go in _this_ election, I'd much rather have the minorities behind me (52% of Latinos also voted yes on 8, and just under 50% of Asians, both which voted with Obama).
AA vote > Mormon vote by the numbers. If you want to talk money that came in for yes on 8 from the Mormon church and other out of state 'interested parties', then sure, but as far as the actual voting demographics go in _this_ election, I'd much rather have the minorities behind me (52% of Latinos also voted yes on 8, and just under 50% of Asians, both which voted with Obama).
I was more talking from an influence and marketing standpoint, than a shear numbers game.
Actually H, Olbermann is to the liberals what Rush is to the conservatives. That's not to say either of them don't have something useful to say once in a while. It's just that you have to wade through so much garbage to get to it that it's not worth it.
Nimue, They arent exactly equalsEstimated Viewership for Olbermann, 670,000Estimated Listernship to Rush 14 million
I was more talking from an influence and marketing standpoint, than a shear numbers game.
Yeah, but my point is that if Obama is not a candidate, then the voter turn out amongst AAs (and other minorities to a lesser extent) would probably have been low enough that prop 8 passing would have been much more in doubt then it ended up being. The Yes on 8 campaign was ran much, much better then the opposition, and that was partly/greatly due to money/volunteer work from the Mormon Church, as well as other religious/conservative groups.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as the “Mormon” or LDS Church) has gone too far in promoting the 2008 California Proposition 8, which would claims to amend the California state constitution to define marriage as one man and one woman in order to supersede a state supreme court opinion issued earlier this year. [Whether the proposition was a lawful amendment or a revision that cannot legally be made by a voter initiative remains an open question.]http://www.hulu.com/watch/42402/the-daily-...chuck-and-larry

One of the controversial mormon-funded ads used the scare tactic of claiming that if Prop 8 passed, our kids would be taught about gay marriage in schools, and that the laws say the schools have no obligation to notify the parents or allow them to opt-out of this kind of thing. The opposition to 8 launched a counter-attack saying that this is nonsense, that nothing in the law would require schools to teach children about gay marriage and that there is nothing to worry about. I found this to be a strange reaction from the No-On-8 side. If gay marriage is no different than straight marriage why should it not be taught in schools? By not biting the bullet and instead arguing about whether or not it would actually be taught in schools they seem to have implicitly agreed that there is something wrong with teaching kids gay marriage. I found this to be interesting.

One of the controversial mormon-funded ads used the scare tactic of claiming that if Prop 8 passed, our kids would be taught about gay marriage in schools, and that the laws say the schools have no obligation to notify the parents or allow them to opt-out of this kind of thing. The opposition to 8 launched a counter-attack saying that this is nonsense, that nothing in the law would require schools to teach children about gay marriage and that there is nothing to worry about. I found this to be a strange reaction from the No-On-8 side. If gay marriage is no different than straight marriage why should it not be taught in schools? By not biting the bullet and instead arguing about whether or not it would actually be taught in schools they seem to have implicitly agreed that there is something wrong with teaching kids gay marriage. I found this to be interesting.
Well marriage is not taught in schools at all, or at least should not be.
That commercial rated high on my unintentional comedy scale.
Well marriage is not taught in schools at all, or at least should not be.
The California law says that if a school teaches sex education, they have to compliment it with teachings of committed relationships and marriage.
The California law says that if a school teaches sex education, they have to compliment it with teachings of committed relationships and marriage.
Dumb. We all know marriage has nothing to do with sex, like, at all. I mean they are almost two completely different subject matters.I find no correlation and this entire notion to be silly and pointless.
Nimue, They arent exactly equalsEstimated Viewership for Olbermann, 670,000Estimated Listernship to Rush 14 million
I never said they were equal in viewership - only in partisanship. Basically they're flip sides of the same partisan coin.
I never said they were equal in viewership - only in partisanship. Basically they're flip sides of the same partisan coin.
Not even remotely comparable.Rush is an entertaining likeable harmless little fuzzball.Olberman is an idiot who will knowingly tell a lie as long as it makes Bush look bad. Look at his last 9-11 show where he blamed Bush for there not being a new World Trade Center yet.
Not even remotely comparable.Rush is an entertaining likeable harmless little fuzzball.Olberman is an idiot who will knowingly tell a lie as long as it makes Bush look bad. Look at his last 9-11 show where he blamed Bush for there not being a new World Trade Center yet.
I've listened to both and there's not a nickel's worth of difference between the two except for which side they're on. If you think either one is harmless or entertaining then that really shows more about you than anything else.

So it looks like the rally for support of gay marriage in Palm Springs won't end up with a bunch of gay guys going to jail after all.A 69 year old woman decided to make a styrofoam cross and carry it on the sidewalk during the No on 8 rally ( held 5 days after the election).Well she was swarmed, the cross ripped from her hands and broken into peices, she herself was pushed and cursed at. The police had to move in to protect her from the angry crowd. She decided not to press charges.The couple standing a block away that had a yes on 8 sign had to get police protection.I read that someone had their car keyed in the church parking lot at Rick Warren's church for having a Yes on 8 bumper sticker.I've never seen more closed mindedness and refusal for others to have differing opinions than from the left.