Random Football Fun

Just a thread to post any funny, bizzarre, exceptional or diabolical moments in football. I'll start with this candidate for Greatest Own Goal Ever.Cracking header though.Cicinho

God I'm bored today. Hungover and bust = scouring youtube.Impressions

James those are amazing!And Hollywood: I believe it comes from "Association Football". I'm not sure who decided that the "soc" part would make a good abbreviation but I'm going to guess it was an American...

James those are amazing!And Hollywood: I believe it comes from "Association Football". I'm not sure who decided that the "soc" part would make a good abbreviation but I'm going to guess it was an American...
Very cool...thanks. Never heard that.... not real sure what "Association Football" means but that makes sense I guess.Stupid americans.I'm Canadian now.
Other useless information on it. According to the Queens language, football was any sport played with your feet, commoners basically as most of the royal sports were used with horses. So soccer is apparently a more appropiate way of saying it as football is a broad term of sport where you are on foot.
Other useless information on it. According to the Queens language, football was any sport played with your feet, commoners basically as most of the royal sports were used with horses. So soccer is apparently a more appropiate way of saying it as football is a broad term of sport where you are on foot.
Silly Queen... what does she know about foot sports?
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Who decided to call it soccer?
Not what I expected my first post to be, but I can answer that.Its an English word, short for 'association football' that was created to seperate the different types of football. They would say "Do you want to play rugger (rugby) or soccer?"So if a Brit ever tells you to stop calling it soccer, tell them its actually their word.As for the 'association football' part, its the full name of the sport. FIFA is a French abbreviation for "Fédération Internationale de Football Association" which translated to English is the "International Federation of Association Football".
Not what I expected my first post to be, but I can answer that.Its an English word, short for 'association football' that was created to seperate the different types of football. They would say "Do you want to play rugger (rugby) or soccer?"So if a Brit ever tells you to stop calling it soccer, tell them its actually their word.As for the 'association football' part, its the full name of the sport. FIFA is a French abbreviation for "Fédération Internationale de Football Association" which translated to English is the "International Federation of Association Football".
Any chance to ruin someones first postHi
And Hollywood: I believe it comes from "Association Football". I'm not sure who decided that the "soc" part would make a good abbreviation but I'm going to guess it was an American...
Welcome