• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can make a logical distinction between the slowroll and showing cards. When you show cards, you are trying to deliberately manage the perception of how you are playing the game. Slowrolling can only be depicted as trying to change the perception of the type of person you are. Showing a bluff can make your opponent think "He plays a wide range from EP". Slowrolling can only make your opponent think "This guy is a major assface."That said, I won't try to make the point that this particular distinction crosses an ethical line (or doesn't).
And that's absolutely a fair distinction, but the same basic ethical question is in play. You know, by showing your cards, that it could very well anger them and tilt them. Few people, when you show them a big bluff, will just coldly react to it emotionlessly, noting to themselves " That man has a wider range from EP than I thought", you know they will react to it on an emotional level, and are hoping for some sort of reaction. (and, if the player does react with an emotionless range adjustment, this is not the type of player you should be giving free information to anyway). There are also other factor's that cause people to show big bluffs, that have nothing to do with strat, and everything to do with their own emotions. My point is, when you show a bluff, you do so knowing that it could very well make someone mad and be perceived as "showing them up", and you still do it anyway. So why doesn't showing a bluff have this distinction of being classless.(and it does, by the way, with many old timers. Showing bluffs is considered bad etiquette with many older players, who will really, truly hate you when you show them a big bluff, and think you are scum. )

Yes, slowrolling people can get them to play differently against you and if you make proper adjustments it can be slightly more profitable. But so can torturing the guy who's ahead of you for that promotion, as long as you have a lack of a conscience, and are a complete piece of shit.In any other sport it's a penalty, like taunting in the NFL. It's not needed and it's extremely disrespectful.There are many other things you can do to make people play worse against you that are within the rules of the game and the standard ethics of the human race.

Yes, slowrolling people can get them to play differently against you and if you make proper adjustments it can be slightly more profitable. But so can torturing the guy who's ahead of you for that promotion, as long as you have a lack of a conscience, and are a complete piece of shit.In any other sport it's a penalty, like taunting in the NFL. It's not needed and it's extremely disrespectful.There are many other things you can do to make people play worse against you that are within the rules of the game and the standard ethics of the human race.
Why does slow rolling upset you so much? WHy is it so reprehensible? Don't you think that people's reaction to it is more than a little disproportionate to it's actual effect? It's not like someone cheated you.

lol stop arguing with him.. he's trying to look all high and mighty and super smart by trying to play devil's advocate and generate "stimulating" discussion amongst those of us here in genpo when in fact he just seems like a total retard who has just wasted everyone's time.sry for creating this thread btw.

lol stop arguing with him.. he's trying to look all high and mighty and super smart by trying to play devil's advocate and generate "stimulating" discussion amongst those of us here in genpo when in fact he just seems like a total retard who has just wasted everyone's time.sry for creating this thread btw.
LOL at "High and mighty" and also, I don't need your validation to know that I am already "super smart", I don't need to try and look it, I am it. I really am just legitimately trying to talk about this, and I think this kind of discussions are fun, and don't understand why you are so apparently threatened by it.
Why does slow rolling upset you so much? WHy is it so reprehensible? Don't you think that people's reaction to it is more than a little disproportionate to it's actual effect? It's not like someone cheated you.
To this, I'd say absolutely not. I'd give an answer, but you're probably going to respond with a Philosophy teacher-like, "but, WHY?"You should go into politics. It's not often I've seen someone proved wrong in their opinion (or hypothetical opinion) and still support their side unconditionally.
LOL at "High and mighty" and also, I don't need your validation to know that I am already "super smart", I don't need to try and look it, I am it. I really am just legitimately trying to talk about this, and I think this kind of discussions are fun, and don't understand why you are so apparently threatened by it.
It has NOTHING to do with the actual strategy of the game. it's just spitting on your opponent/kicking him when he's down.I don't know how familiar you are with the social aspect of the game but that could be playing a factor into your stubbornness.
To this, I'd say absolutely not. I'd give an answer, but you're probably going to respond with a Philosophy teacher-like, "but, WHY?"You should go into politics. It's not often I've seen someone proved wrong in their opinion (or hypothetical opinion) and still support their side unconditionally.
Well, you did answer my question. The degree of your negative reaction to it is wholly emotional and has no logical basis, and thus you can come up with no answer that can be logically defended. I also not sure you know what "proved" and "unconditionally" mean, as no one has proved anything in this thread (including myself), and my "support" of slowrolling has been repeatedly conditional.
It has NOTHING to do with the actual strategy of the game. it's just spitting on your opponent/kicking him when he's down.I don't know how familiar you are with the social aspect of the game but that could be playing a factor into your stubbornness.
I get tired of you assuming that I've never played live. I've played about 10 times more live than I have online, am intimately aware of the social aspect of it, and prefer to play live because of it ( because I think a good player's edge is much greater in social live games than they are in more competitive online games of the same limit ( This isn't including the overall edge you can have in multi-tabling, or taking into account hands per hour, I'm talking strictly hand per hand basis.)). Just because I am making a case for slow rolling, don't assume that I do it, am going to do it in the future, or think that it's something I should do. As I said earlier in the thread, I have a jovial, friendly image at a poker table, and I like people to assuming I'm a big dumb recreational fish. This image works for me. But I have seen, first hand, that a confrontational image works for others, and am merely making a logical argument for it.
I get tired of you assuming that I've never played live. I've played about 10 times more live than I have online, am intimately aware of the social aspect of it, and prefer to play live because of it ( because I think a good player's edge is much greater in social live games than they are in more competitive online games of the same limit ( This isn't including the overall edge you can have in multi-tabling, or taking into account hands per hour, I'm talking strictly hand per hand basis.)). Just because I am making a case for slow rolling, don't assume that I do it, am going to do it in the future, or think that it's something I should do. As I said earlier in the thread, I have a jovial, friendly image at a poker table, and I like people to assuming I'm a big dumb recreational fish. This image works for me. But I have seen, first hand, that a confrontational image works for others, and am merely making a logical argument for it.
king1305: im gay

FINALLLLLYY!Full Tilt Poker Game #8961943024: Table Covelo (6 max) - $0.10/$0.25 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:33:20 ET - 2008/11/13Seat 1: KSYHA1980 ($23.85)Seat 2: yulimarcol ($9.25)Seat 3: BCRyan ($25.05)Seat 4: vtlaxer09 ($25)Seat 5: grasleb ($19.20)Seat 6: spshelton777 ($5.90)spshelton777 posts the small blind of $0.10KSYHA1980 posts the big blind of $0.25The button is in seat #5*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to vtlaxer09 [Td Th]yulimarcol raises to $0.85BCRyan foldsvtlaxer09 raises to $2.75grasleb foldsspshelton777 foldsKSYHA1980 foldsyulimarcol calls $1.90*** FLOP *** [As Ts Tc]yulimarcol bets $5.85vtlaxer09 calls $5.85*** TURN *** [As Ts Tc] [6d]yulimarcol bets $0.65, and is all invtlaxer09 has 15 seconds left to actvtlaxer09 has requested TIME<------USES ENTIRE TIMEBANK AND SLOWROLLS THE **** OUT OF THIS GUY.vtlaxer09 calls $0.65yulimarcol shows [6s 6c]vtlaxer09 shows [Td Th]*** RIVER *** [As Ts Tc 6d] [9h]yulimarcol shows a full house, Sixes full of Tensvtlaxer09 shows four of a kind, Tensvtlaxer09 wins the pot ($17.95) with four of a kind, Tensyulimarcol is sitting out*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $18.85 | Rake $0.90Board: [As Ts Tc 6d 9h]Seat 1: KSYHA1980 (big blind) folded before the FlopSeat 2: yulimarcol showed [6s 6c] and lost with a full house, Sixes full of TensSeat 3: BCRyan didn't bet (folded)Seat 4: vtlaxer09 showed [Td Th] and won ($17.95) with four of a kind, TensSeat 5: grasleb (button) didn't bet (folded)Seat 6: spshelton777 (small blind) folded before the Flop

Boom HeadshotFull Tilt Poker Game #8962175336: Table Lanning (6 max) - $0.10/$0.25 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:49:24 ET - 2008/11/13Seat 1: vtlaxer09 ($43.95)Seat 2: stix983 ($20.15)Seat 3: DQMAFIA ($18.70)Seat 4: LayinDaBoom ($21.75)Seat 5: bige1122 ($22.30)Seat 6: rico1961 ($8.60)vtlaxer09 posts the small blind of $0.10stix983 posts the big blind of $0.25The button is in seat #6*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to vtlaxer09 [Js Jd]DQMAFIA foldsLayinDaBoom raises to $0.75bige1122 calls $0.75rico1961 calls $0.75vtlaxer09 raises to $3.75stix983 foldsLayinDaBoom foldsbige1122 foldsrico1961 calls $3*** FLOP *** [8h Jc As]vtlaxer09 checksrico1961 bets $4.85, and is all invtlaxer09 has 15 seconds left to actvtlaxer09 has requested TIMEvtlaxer09 calls $4.85rico1961 shows [8s 6h]vtlaxer09 shows [Js Jd]*** TURN *** [8h Jc As] [4c]*** RIVER *** [8h Jc As 4c] [6s]rico1961 shows two pair, Eights and Sixesvtlaxer09 shows three of a kind, Jacksvtlaxer09 wins the pot ($18.05) with three of a kind, JacksLayinDaBoom: wow wutta slowrollrico1961 is sitting out*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $18.95 | Rake $0.90Board: [8h Jc As 4c 6s]Seat 1: vtlaxer09 (small blind) showed [Js Jd] and won ($18.05) with three of a kind, JacksSeat 2: stix983 (big blind) folded before the FlopSeat 3: DQMAFIA didn't bet (folded)Seat 4: LayinDaBoom folded before the FlopSeat 5: bige1122 folded before the FlopSeat 6: rico1961 (button) showed [8s 6h] and lost with two pair, Eights and Sixes