Life Tilt - Starting Over

All,I just wanted to get some advice, as I am starting my online poker career over. I'll give a little bit of background. I have played for over 12 years and was playing stud online as far back as 1999 (Paradise Poker - home of the eternal disconnect). In June I decided to really get my game back together and try to make some money playing online. Over the years, I have made probably $3-4K, but could never seem to really get on a roll. I would then get bored and take my BR out and start over months later.In June I deposited and started playing MTT and some small $10 SnG. The SnG did not go well, but the MTT did very well and I was up $8k in the first 3 months, so I cashed out $4,500 to make sure I held back some profit. After that, I started playing the SnGs a lot better and did a lot of studying for them. I have had pretty good results at the $30 and $50 level.Then came the downswing and it started with 2 big (relatively speaking) cashes. I finished 9th in a 30r, despite starting the table as the chipleader and losing 3 consecutive hands to a 4 flush all-in, a set over set (QQ v. AA) and then I busted on my K,J v 10,2. My payout was $660, the winner got over $8k.Next came my busto in a 50r. I was in 4th out of 6 at the final table and the big stack was playing everything. I of course get KK and shove on his standard 3bb raise. He insta calls with A,J off and I lose after a flop of A,K.8 to a turn 10 and a river Q. I get $1,150, the winner gets $5k and change.After this I started playing horribly and was only able to make some really minor cashes. Eventually lost the remaining $3,500 I had in my account and now I am back at zero (bad play and bad luck in about a 50/50 ratio).I have taken a break, studied, and am now going to re-deposit. Does anyone have any advice for me? My plan was to play the 33+3 and 55+5 turbo SnGs to grind out my deposit bonus. Has anyone else successfully done this? Any and all comments appreciated, sorry this was so long.Thanks

All,I just wanted to get some advice, as I am starting my online poker career over. I'll give a little bit of background. I have played for over 12 years and was playing stud online as far back as 1999 (Paradise Poker - home of the eternal disconnect). In June I decided to really get my game back together and try to make some money playing online. Over the years, I have made probably $3-4K, but could never seem to really get on a roll. I would then get bored and take my BR out and start over months later.In June I deposited and started playing MTT and some small $10 SnG. The SnG did not go well, but the MTT did very well and I was up $8k in the first 3 months, so I cashed out $4,500 to make sure I held back some profit. After that, I started playing the SnGs a lot better and did a lot of studying for them. I have had pretty good results at the $30 and $50 level.Then came the downswing and it started with 2 big (relatively speaking) cashes. I finished 9th in a 30r, despite starting the table as the chipleader and losing 3 consecutive hands to a 4 flush all-in, a set over set (QQ v. AA) and then I busted on my K,J v 10,2. My payout was $660, the winner got over $8k.Next came my busto in a 50r. I was in 4th out of 6 at the final table and the big stack was playing everything. I of course get KK and shove on his standard 3bb raise. He insta calls with A,J off and I lose after a flop of A,K.8 to a turn 10 and a river Q. I get $1,150, the winner gets $5k and change.After this I started playing horribly and was only able to make some really minor cashes. Eventually lost the remaining $3,500 I had in my account and now I am back at zero (bad play and bad luck in about a 50/50 ratio).I have taken a break, studied, and am now going to re-deposit. Does anyone have any advice for me? My plan was to play the 33+3 and 55+5 turbo SnGs to grind out my deposit bonus. Has anyone else successfully done this? Any and all comments appreciated, sorry this was so long.Thanks
shitty deals on running so bad but good on ya for trying to give it a go.. my game of choice is SNG's as well and this thread seemed to have alot of decent info it it (if you haven't read it yet..)Tournament strat threads.GL and hope some of this helps..
Bankroll management...you should not be playing 30r and 50r with a roll that small...but I'm sure the regs in those tourneys don't mind you doing so.
With an $8k roll? The 50r was 1+1 for a max outlay of $150 and my ROI in it was 189% in 26 starts. I'm not saying I'm going to play them now, but $150 is less than 2% of my BR at that point.
With an $8k roll? The 50r was 1+1 for a max outlay of $150 and my ROI in it was 189% in 26 starts.
if you are playing a rebuy and are only planning of buying in 3 times you should not be playing.with an 8k roll look at playing regular $50 tournaments.also, an ROI of 189% is impossible over a large sample and therefore mostly meaningless. over a short sample you can take it to mean that you are either playing well, running well, in an incredibly soft game, or any combination of the three.
so is the level he is playing at not good for the roll or for his belief in his ability?
in all honesty?i would consider it unlikely that somebody can win at those levels and post something like this. no offense to op.
so is the level he is playing at not good for the roll or for his belief in his ability?
Huh? All I'm saying is that I don't care if it's $1 buyin tournies or $100,000. You need a lot more than 26 tournies to even out variance. If someone luckboxed their way to a top 3 finish and then busted first in the next 25 tournies they would still have a ridiculous good ROI
Huh? All I'm saying is that I don't care if it's $1 buyin tournies or $100,000. You need a lot more than 26 tournies to even out variance. If someone luckboxed their way to a top 3 finish and then busted first in the next 25 tournies they would still have a ridiculous good ROI
I wasn't originally talking about variance. Just that 8k would be enough to play a 1r + 1a $50 tourney.
I wasn't originally talking about variance. Just that 8k would be enough to play a 1r + 1a $50 tourney.
I'm pretty sure they say 100 buyins for the tourney you want to play, 30 if you are playing single table sng's. So, no technically not a big enough roll.
I'm pretty sure they say 100 buyins for the tourney you want to play, 30 if you are playing single table sng's. So, no technically not a big enough roll.
if your playing two or 3 50+1+1 a week 8k is enogh to take shots imo. just gotta realise when to stop ..
Ahh. I see..afraid my ignorance is showing.. I'm extremely green when it comes to all aspects of poker (outside of the actual game itself..) BR management and the majority of the math side of the equation.. :club:

antistuff... he's talking about a 1r1a... so.. last time i checked u can only be in for 3x the bi lol..I dont know how good he is.. but the 501r1a on tilt is one of the best structures on full tilt... so.. he's well within his roll to play it a few times here and there.. and the 301r1a is absolutely fine as well. as long as he's mixing in some lower buy in tourneys as well.. I see nothing wrong with playing some of these as long as he's a good player (which he might not be).. sure he might not have the perfect bankroll for it.. but you guys are acting like he commmited a mortal sin. lol.

antistuff... he's talking about a 1r1a... so.. last time i checked u can only be in for 3x the bi lol..I dont know how good he is.. but the 501r1a on tilt is one of the best structures on full tilt... so.. he's well within his roll to play it a few times here and there.. and the 301r1a is absolutely fine as well. as long as he's mixing in some lower buy in tourneys as well.. I see nothing wrong with playing some of these as long as he's a good player (which he might not be).. sure he might not have the perfect bankroll for it.. but you guys are acting like he commmited a mortal sin. lol.
i didn't even know those existed. the 30 would be will within an 8k roll then. the 50 i think would be pushing it but not bad. sorry for the misunderstanding.
pretty much agree, /
What ^^^ said.I get bankroll management and all, but if someone doesn't rely on poker as their only source of income, what's the big deal about taking shots and occasionaly playing out of your roll?

people often say that for rebuy tournaments you need like 2-400x the buyin for "proper" br management....1r1a documents prob like 10k roll for the 501r1a...that being said, taking shots is ok you nits:-p

Ahh. I see..afraid my ignorance is showing.. I'm extremely green when it comes to all aspects of poker (outside of the actual game itself..) BR management and the majority of the math side of the equation.. :club:
BR management might be the most important aspect of the game. Along with emotional control and just basic fundamentals.Math is nice to have, but BR management is crucial, and I speak from experience.