The Official Southern State Secession Thread

Was secession a possibility originally built into the Constitution? I know that states' rights were very important at that time to the founders. Was the ability to secede from the union considered one of those states' right?
Excellent question
this thread is stupid.
Dumb remark. Get into the spirit of speculative debate!
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping this thread was more about snow-machine champion Todd Palin.If states want to secede they can (though the Constitution is silent on the issue). I dont see how you can force them to stay....that would be messy. I can think of a few states we dont really need. I liked the idea of turning North and South Dakota into "Dakota" and then annexing Iceland.

TheSouthWillRiseAgain.JPG
From its ass to its knees....That said by a native (and I went to high school in Johnson City, 20TN40!).The South is not even remotely interested in seceding. Alaska, on the other hand, ... I never did quite understand how Palin was a "real American" who also wanted to LEAVE America, but Republicans are the kings of self-contradiction and unintended irony.The Constitution is indeed silent about secession, but it is clear that the Founding Fathers did not consider it an option. My history concentration wasn't the Revolution, so I'm not an expert, but I can't think of a single major statement about it from any of them, and they never created any kind of mechanism that would support it or even make it practical. They were totally focused on knitting the colonies together into a nation, and while it must have occurred to them that it might come apart, they spent all their effort on creating a web of trade agreements, open borders, and collective government that would have made it virtually impossible for a colony to leave once it had joined.I always thought that if bullets hadn't flown and the South had just been allowed to secede, within a couple of generations it would have been a completely bankrupt, ruined Third World country (so much different from today) BEGGING to be let back in to the prosperous, thriving United States. Cotton was ruining the soil and no economy based on slave labor and lacking a merchant class can last forever.

Since we're talking about southern pride, I'd like to talk about everyone's favorite subject, the Confederate flag. It is absolutely the best example of how in denial about racism many Republicans/conservatives are. Southern Conservatives will say that the Confederate flag (which is, if nothing else, a symbol of treason) is a symbol of "southern culture" and "southern pride" and has nothing at all to do with race. Even though, Confederate flags didn't start showing up on state houses or in the state flags of southern state's till the fifties, as a backlash against segregation. It is a clearly racist symbol, that people completely and openly lie about ( Perhaps even to themselves). My favorite usage of the flag, however, was in my high school in Nebraska. There were a group of guys in my school called, unimaginatively, "the rednecks" that all wore cowboy boots, and belt buckles and cowboys hats, and drove trucks ( even though they never like, did farm work or needed the trucks), and talked in faux southern accents. They were "country" as hell. Anyway, they all had Conderate flags everywhere, stickers in their locker, as handkerchiefs, hanging up in their trucks. This is Nebraska, Mind you, which wasn't even a state yet, and it was a territory that belonged to the north when the civil war broke out. You can't claim that the confederate flag is a symbol of "southern pride" when you live in nebraska and you aren't southern. What is was, and is, a symbol of is White pride. And at least these racist fools in my high school were intellectually honest enough to admit it.

Since we're talking about southern pride, I'd like to talk about everyone's favorite subject, the Confederate flag. It is absolutely the best example of how in denial about racism many Republicans/conservatives are. Southern Conservatives will say that the Confederate flag (which is, if nothing else, a symbol of treason) is a symbol of "southern culture" and "southern pride" and has nothing at all to do with race. Even though, Confederate flags didn't start showing up on state houses or in the state flags of southern state's till the fifties, as a backlash against segregation. It is a clearly racist symbol, that people completely and openly lie about ( Perhaps even to themselves). My favorite usage of the flag, however, was in my high school in Nebraska. There were a group of guys in my school called, unimaginatively, "the rednecks" that all wore cowboy boots, and belt buckles and cowboys hats, and drove trucks ( even though they never like, did farm work or needed the trucks), and talked in faux southern accents. They were "country" as hell. Anyway, they all had Conderate flags everywhere, stickers in their locker, as handkerchiefs, hanging up in their trucks. This is Nebraska, Mind you, which wasn't even a state yet, and it was a territory that belonged to the north when the civil war broke out. You can't claim that the confederate flag is a symbol of "southern pride" when you live in nebraska and you aren't southern. What is was, and is, a symbol of is White pride. And at least these racist fools in my high school were intellectually honest enough to admit it.
wow, how old are you?
Perhaps since you are not from the South, you believe you understand Southern pride from the books you have read. The South, in it's entirity, is competative. Pretty much any motor vehicle you see will have some sort of NASCAR flag/tag, football flag/tag, and at least one "my kid is better than your kid because......" flag/tag. WE don't understand why people drink tea without ice and sugar, can't believe you all don't enjoy biscuit and white gravy made with bacon/sausage drippings, and why you don't get that butter and Crisco are food groups all unto themselves. In the South, you won't find 1 person out of 10 that displays a Confederate flag because it's a WHITE thang. For THIS generation, it is merely a symbol that states our pride in the South and challenges the North to come on down, we want a rematch. It is no more a racist thing than me flipping off a stupid Florida fan when they cut me off in traffic and make fun of Georgia fans when their bulldog licks his nuts on TV. Stop trying to equate 1960 with 2008 because it just doesn't fit any more.
Perhaps since you are not from the South, you believe you understand Southern pride from the books you have read. The South, in it's entirity, is competative. Pretty much any motor vehicle you see will have some sort of NASCAR flag/tag, football flag/tag, and at least one "my kid is better than your kid because......" flag/tag. WE don't understand why people drink tea without ice and sugar, can't believe you all don't enjoy biscuit and white gravy made with bacon/sausage drippings, and why you don't get that butter and Crisco are food groups all unto themselves. In the South, you won't find 1 person out of 10 that displays a Confederate flag because it's a WHITE thang. For THIS generation, it is merely a symbol that states our pride in the South and challenges the North to come on down, we want a rematch. It is no more a racist thing than me flipping off a stupid Florida fan when they cut me off in traffic and make fun of Georgia fans when their bulldog licks his nuts on TV. Stop trying to equate 1960 with 2008 because it just doesn't fit any more.
That all may be true but it doesn't change the fact that it's a symbol of both historic and current racism and to deny that is pretty telling. The Swastika is a sacred symbol to Hindus but it doesn't change the fact that's it's also a symbol of Nazism and all that it represents.
s. In the South, you won't find 1 person out of 10 that displays a Confederate flag because it's a WHITE thang. For THIS generation, it is merely a symbol that states our pride in the South and challenges the North to come on down, we want a rematch. It is no more a racist thing than me flipping off a stupid Florida fan when they cut me off in traffic and make fun of Georgia fans when their bulldog licks his nuts on TV. Stop trying to equate 1960 with 2008 because it just doesn't fit any more.
Oh, is that true, is it? How many blacks you see sporting confederate flags, then?
Oh, is that true, is it? How many blacks you see sporting confederate flags, then?
Thanks McGee I was going to ask the same thing. Though they might deny it to themselves, the Confederate flag does represent a historical time in history when white people owned black people as property. It will be a very very long time before that ever changes if it ever does. Chances are the United States will not longer exist as a nation before that. For southern pride you can do better.

Neighbors to my friend of mixed races in Noblesville, Indiana flies a Confederate Flag. He views that as both goofy and a threat. I understand a desire to keep control of your own symbols, but being pragmatic, you have to know the real-world effects on everyone else. Couldn't the same general goal be served by flying your State flag?I say this, but I have to admit that I'd tell anybody to stuff it if they objected my flying a Gadsden Flag.

Thanks McGee I was going to ask the same thing. Though they might deny it to themselves, the Confederate flag does represent a historical time in history when white people owned black people as property. It will be a very very long time before that ever changes if it ever does. Chances are the United States will not longer exist as a nation before that. For southern pride you can do better.
But, more than that, it got brought back to the south as a symbol of segregation. This whole "southern pride"movement was as a direct result of the federal mandates forcing the south to desegregate. The Southern flags started being displayed on court houses as a blatant and obvious symbol of racist defiance. Just because today's youth is too stupid to know what happened five years ago, much less in the 50's, doesn't mean it's any less of a racist symbol. And when someone flies the Southern Flag in Indiana, you can have no doubt what message they are trying to get across.

well I live in the south, and personally I really like it when people fly rebel flags or have rebel flag stickers. that way, when I see somebody with a rebel flag sticker on their car, I know automatically "hey! a retard." saving me from having to do any real analysis of their character.

well I live in the south, and personally I really like it when people fly rebel flags or have rebel flag stickers. that way, when I see somebody with a rebel flag sticker on their car, I know automatically "hey! a retard." saving me from having to do any real analysis of their character.
You're giving developmentally disabled people everywhere a bad name saying that you know.