The Story Of My Grandfather's Guitar (long)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets just make this the official instrument discussion spot, since it's a pretty good thread. I am putting a fretless neck on my 1997 Fender Jazz Bass.It is missing some paint and has a sticker that says "Bipolar" beneath the bridge. There are dings, gouges and even a burn mark. I love it like a child... Wouldn't trade it for a brand new Fender Jazz Bass or an old, rare, vintage one. Once upon a time, I was an epic 'collector' of guitars. When I turned 28, it was like a lightswitch got flipped and suddenly, it was less about the collecting of new instruments and more about playing the hell out of them. Sold most all of the 'collection' and kept the few that were attached to my soul. That is all.

Lets just make this the official instrument discussion spot, since it's a pretty good thread. I am putting a fretless neck on my 1997 Fender Jazz Bass.
I've always liked those fretless necked basses (sp?), ever since I saw Lisa playing one in Zack Attack on an episode of Saved by the Bell. I haven't played my bass for years because it was in my dad's garage. Looking forward to playing it when I get back from uni, slightly afraid it will be damaged somehow. Anyway, my bass is really unspectacular; it's plain black, some cheap model, 3/4 size because I am a girl with small, weak hands. I know I stuck a sticker of Audrey Hepburn on it, but I'm hoping I didn't stick any others on there. I have my dad's steel string acoustic guitar and when I was in my punky phase I stuck tons of stickers on it, which I then came to hate. Tried to rip them all off a few months back but ended up with a lot of sticky residue and one sticker that won't budge. Cleaning up that mess is a project for another day.Yeah, I'm not a 'collector', and I am not even good at playing guitar or bass. I hope to get back into bass though, I'd like to learn some Talking Heads songs and pretend to be Tina Weymouth.

Those interested in this thread should also look into this one:http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...40&start=40Maybe that's a better place to talk about guitar collections, since P.O.RAC has a nice thread of guitar talk going there.

Those interested in this thread should also look into this one:http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...40&start=40Maybe that's a better place to talk about guitar collections, since P.O.RAC has a nice thread of guitar talk going there.
Nah, that thread is for "guitar experts", I'm more of a novice. This thread is for more personal rather than technical discussion, I think.
Lets just make this the official instrument discussion spot, since it's a pretty good thread. I am putting a fretless neck on my 1997 Fender Jazz Bass.It is missing some paint and has a sticker that says "Bipolar" beneath the bridge. There are dings, gouges and even a burn mark. I love it like a child... Wouldn't trade it for a brand new Fender Jazz Bass or an old, rare, vintage one. Once upon a time, I was an epic 'collector' of guitars. When I turned 28, it was like a lightswitch got flipped and suddenly, it was less about the collecting of new instruments and more about playing the hell out of them. Sold most all of the 'collection' and kept the few that were attached to my soul. That is all.
I suffered thru Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) too. In retrospect, for me I think my GAS was due to talent limitations. I was concentrating on the easiest thing to change. Gear is easy to buy and upgrade. Ability takes some work. Now that I am more confident in my playing, I find less need to keep changing my gear. I still lust after certain things, but my American Vintage 52 Reissue Telecaster has been my primary girl for years.
Since you are going to India, I will share this one. This is one of my favorite instruments I own. It's a tanpura, which is just a drone instrument. But it's made by Rikhi Ram, one of the most famed Indian instrument makers. If you happen to be in Delhi, stop by the shop in Cannaught Place. The person currently making the instruments is the 3rd generation of these guys. photo-1.jpgphoto%202.jpgphoto%203.jpg
Since you are going to India, I will share this one. This is one of my favorite instruments I own. It's a tanpura, which is just a drone instrument. But it's made by Rikhi Ram, one of the most famed Indian instrument makers. If you happen to be in Delhi, stop by the shop in Cannaught Place. The person currently making the instruments is the 3rd generation of these guys.
That is so cool. Seriously. I'd make a special trip just to snag one of those. Perhaps get a little custom inlay....and then slap a Lindy Fralin High Output Humbucker on the sucker!
Since you are going to India, I will share this one. This is one of my favorite instruments I own. It's a tanpura, which is just a drone instrument. But it's made by Rikhi Ram, one of the most famed Indian instrument makers. If you happen to be in Delhi, stop by the shop in Cannaught Place. The person currently making the instruments is the 3rd generation of these guys.
Epic.By any chance, do you know how to repair a busted strap on a tabla bayan? I had one break when I was tuning it a while back. Still plays fine, but it's kinda ghetto playing with a broken strap and I've never spliced one before. Definitely, though, instruments are priority 1 while I'm over there. I figure I'll pick up an electronic Shruti since they're way cheaper here than there (and the ebay shippers really scalp westerners) and probably a full size sitar, at minimum.
Epic.By any chance, do you know how to repair a busted strap on a tabla bayan? I had one break when I was tuning it a while back. Still plays fine, but it's kinda ghetto playing with a broken strap and I've never spliced one before.
I think you'd have to take it to someone who knows what they are doing. I can do most of the work my sitar needs, but have no experience fixing tablas.
Definitely, though, instruments are priority 1 while I'm over there. I figure I'll pick up an electronic Shruti since they're way cheaper here than there (and the ebay shippers really scalp westerners) and probably a full size sitar, at minimum.
I walked through the slums of Bombay to get this sucker: photo%203-1.jpgIt wasn't ultimately that much cheaper than I could have gotten here, and it has shocked me several times, but certainly means a lot more to me now because of how I got it. My sitar came from Calcutta. It as a simple look but a great sound. My teacher had a whole bunch of them brought to us in Delhi where he rejected most of them and picked this one out for me. photo-2.jpgphoto%202-1.jpg
That is so cool. Seriously. I'd make a special trip just to snag one of those. Perhaps get a little custom inlay....and then slap a Lindy Fralin High Output Humbucker on the sucker!
You can see I have attached a pickup to the sitar but this is not normally done. All the classical musicians perform by putting a microphone next to the instrument.

Here's the neck I'm getting from a guy off ebaybassneck.jpgIt was defretted and epoxied- no coating. I'll probably use a slotting saw to reslot the old fret ways and refill them with a white epoxy so I have visible fret markers. Chink machine heads, but I'll probably keep them anyway. Also have to get used to playing with flat wounds now ... :club: But, whatever. Fretless. Yay.

Here's the neck I'm getting from a guy off ebayIt was defretted and epoxied- no coating. I'll probably use a slotting saw to reslot the old fret ways and refill them with a white epoxy so I have visible fret markers. Chink machine heads, but I'll probably keep them anyway. Also have to get used to playing with flat wounds now ... :club: But, whatever. Fretless. Yay.
Very cool. I know virtually nothing about playing fretless. How difficult is it to get used to no frets? Does it become more of a feel thing or an ear thing to find the note? Do you need to recut the nut to allow for lowering the action?
  • 4 weeks later...
Here's the neck I'm getting from a guy off ebaybassneck.jpgIt was defretted and epoxied- no coating. I'll probably use a slotting saw to reslot the old fret ways and refill them with a white epoxy so I have visible fret markers. Chink machine heads, but I'll probably keep them anyway. Also have to get used to playing with flat wounds now ... :club: But, whatever. Fretless. Yay.
I never knew you played bass. Awesome. Always cool to meet fellow bassists. I use LaBella 760FMs on my '08 American P-Bass. I originally wanted the thicker gauge "Jamerson" flats, but they were out of stock and I needed them quickly, so I went down a gauge to the 760FMs. Flats take some time getting used to, but I prefer the higher tension of bigass flats. I set my action a bit higher than normal as well, and installed a foam mute under the bridge cover of my Precision to give it that classic tight thump. I'm so in love with this bass it's pathetic.Some pics of "Kelly 2.0"4dc23c4a310805e50d8191bf65af5136_5683052.jpgeb5c6a265d15ef22b826245aeab7591e_5683040.jpge1e3e7f92934cc2262b5a69d25598251_5179595.jpg1f2278d8e62e49bc9cbd64717172810a_5179589.jpg
I tore through probably 7 basses in under a year because I couldn't find "the one" that I really connected with and felt "right". I tried everything from Warwicks to Stingrays to various fenders, Ibanez etc. Since I'm not rich, or even financially comfortable, I'd save, then sell them when I didn't like it, then get another that I loved in the store but didn't stand the test of my furious ADD. I had an old POS P-Bass that I liked a lot except for the gross neck warp, so I decided to get an American Stan. P bass, and kind of make it a nod to my old strat that I played in HS. Olympic white, tort pickguard, maple fretboard, post 2008 model, after they made all the upgrades to the American Standard series. A guy on the bass forum I'm on had one of the exact models I was looking for within an hour of me, so I picked it up from him, installed the pickup and bridge covers, tug bar and flatwounds and haven't looked back. I personally can't wait until it gets that naturally weathered look. I love the look, but would never buy a "relic" bc I feel like it's cheating to have someone else weather your instrument just so you can look like you've played it a while. My bass had one ding in it on the lower horn, but that's it. Now it's got some additional marks, and I can feel that the finish on the body is wearing a bit thinner where my forearm rests/sweats when I play. I'll probably pick up other basses along the line (my band is looking into either Fender or Lakland sponsorships after our album is finished) but this one will be my #1. I can't see finding a finer instrument for me.
I've always liked those fretless necked basses (sp?), ever since I saw Lisa playing one in Zack Attack on an episode of Saved by the Bell. I haven't played my bass for years because it was in my dad's garage. Looking forward to playing it when I get back from uni, slightly afraid it will be damaged somehow. Anyway, my bass is really unspectacular; it's plain black, some cheap model, 3/4 size because I am a girl with small, weak hands. I know I stuck a sticker of Audrey Hepburn on it, but I'm hoping I didn't stick any others on there. I have my dad's steel string acoustic guitar and when I was in my punky phase I stuck tons of stickers on it, which I then came to hate. Tried to rip them all off a few months back but ended up with a lot of sticky residue and one sticker that won't budge. Cleaning up that mess is a project for another day.Yeah, I'm not a 'collector', and I am not even good at playing guitar or bass. I hope to get back into bass though, I'd like to learn some Talking Heads songs and pretend to be Tina Weymouth.
I didn't realize how many musicians were around these parts. I guess that's what happens when one doesn't come here for years at a clip. Anyhoo, if anyone is interested in checking out a great bass forum go to talkbass.com. Tons of great info and discussion on everything imaginable.
I never knew you played bass. Awesome. Always cool to meet fellow bassists. I use LaBella 760FMs on my '08 American P-Bass. I originally wanted the thicker gauge "Jamerson" flats, but they were out of stock and I needed them quickly, so I went down a gauge to the 760FMs. Flats take some time getting used to, but I prefer the higher tension of bigass flats. I set my action a bit higher than normal as well, and installed a foam mute under the bridge cover of my Precision to give it that classic tight thump. I'm so in love with this bass it's pathetic.Some pics of "Kelly 2.0"4dc23c4a310805e50d8191bf65af5136_5683052.jpgeb5c6a265d15ef22b826245aeab7591e_5683040.jpge1e3e7f92934cc2262b5a69d25598251_5179595.jpg1f2278d8e62e49bc9cbd64717172810a_5179589.jpg
Oh good God, that thing is beautiful.

Playing SIT semiflats right now. Love them. Decided I'll probably coat my fretboard not because I'm concerned about wear, but because I want it to say 'mwah' and a coated board can help achieve that tone.Probably go the Jaco/Boat Epoxy route, but I don't know. Right now, semi's on rosewood with an 'oddly set' action though passives has a pretty good sound.cardwarfare, if you've ever considered semi's, try out a pair of these SITs. I was really surprised how much I liked them and their tone.

Do you need to recut the nut to allow for lowering the action?
Yes and the guy I bought this neck from did not reslot the nut to account for new depth, so the strings tower over the board (not too bad, but noticeable) . Funny thing, though... If I draw down the saddles really far, the shallow (for a fretless fingerboard board) slotting leaves me with this really neat buzzy pitch on the high end and it sounds killer when compressed and flanged. honestly, I don't think I even want to change it. I'll just deal with it.
Playing SIT semiflats right now. Love them. Decided I'll probably coat my fretboard not because I'm concerned about wear, but because I want it to say 'mwah' and a coated board can help achieve that tone.Probably go the Jaco/Boat Epoxy route, but I don't know. Right now, semi's on rosewood with an 'oddly set' action though passives has a pretty good sound.cardwarfare, if you've ever considered semi's, try out a pair of these SITs. I was really surprised how much I liked them and their tone.
How are the tension compared to regular flats?Part of the reason I love my 760FMs is because of the tension. When I was learning I played a jazz bass, and always plucked close to the bridge. I liked the feel, but didn't like the loss in depth I'd get. When I switched to the P bass I realized I would need to pluck over the pickup (or slightly next to it with the covers on) and i needed the higher tension to offset that.
I can almost literally hear the *thump* and feel it in my chest just looking at her.
The first time I plugged her in and ran it through my sansamp into my rig it knocked 2 picture frames off my wall
  • 2 weeks later...

About 1/2 the time I go to my doctors office, I see this bassist standing on the UIC Med platform of the Red Line (aka, 'The Soul Train') with the body of his bass in a garbage bag.For the past three visits I kept bringing my shitty gig bag for him (the zipper taps are broken and the canvas is worn to shit, but it all still works and it's better than a garbage bag)- finally saw him today and he was happy. So, now I guess I need a new gig bag. I hate hardshell cases. What's the best gig bag?