Don't believe me, vote in a pro-abortion candidate next time, see how strong your " we're not with those religious guys" republican numbers are without us.You'd have to all learn to speak spanish and vote for Cinco de Mayo to replace Easter to ever have a chance in any national election again.Or you can go on pretending the religious right is powerless and small in numbers.
But that's exactly what bothers us. That the guys with good economic policies are being leveraged like this by the elephant worshippers who want eating peanuts on sundays to be illegal.
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that's exactly what bothers us. That the guys with good economic policies are being leveraged like this by the elephant worshippers who want eating peanuts on sundays to be illegal.
I know this is going to be hard for you.But being religious doesn't equal being full of bad economic policiesIf it did you would have a point,Since it doesn't, you don't
I disagree, I think for a largely Christian country we've done a remarkable job of NOT conjoining the two. And if the Europeans "have us crushed" its because they have become "more godless", not because they have found some better way to balance the two.
That position basically amounts to saying "well, it could be worse!"shoulder_shrug.jpgI don't think our country is any more obliged to 'balance' the interests of religious fantasy and government as we are to make sure that "Dungeons and Dragons" has some sort of a role in our economic planning. The point is, human government and religion are two institutions that bear no relevance to one another. No where is anyone suggesting that we 'shut down churches'. I also think it's perfectly acceptable if a government representative has private religious beliefs. It's only when "WWJD" becomes a governmental decision-making mantra that we stray and since that is a central pillar of the Republican party, they've strayed the furthest, in this regard.
Yes they do. But polls Ive read show a distinct drop in the percentage of Europeans who attend Church even on a casual basis, and a drop in the percentage who believe in god at all. (You're new here...I'm an atheist, so Im not implying thats a bad thing, I just take issue with a claim that somehow governance/legislation in the US is unduly influenced by religion.)
1. well, that's a social problem, not a governemental...2. but it is in many ways. i just read an article about it (in german only unfortunately). the article was dicussing how Bush's turning to religion heavyly influenced his political decisions (btw: he himself stated once that he is led by god's instructions. scary, imo). and they wrote about palin's home church and their belief, that every occurrence is part of god's plan. and they pointed out that palin might be thinking that her nomination and everything could be part of this plan. of course, just theory, but as her strong belief and the beliefs of her church are known, it semms possible. scary, too, imo.
That position basically amounts to saying "well, it could be worse!"I don't think our country is any more obliged to 'balance' the interests of religious fantasy and government as we are to make sure that "Dungeons and Dragons" has some sort of a role in our economic planning. The point is, human government and religion are two institutions that bear no relevance to one another. No where is anyone suggesting that we 'shut down churches'. I also think it's perfectly acceptable if a government representative has private religious beliefs. It's only when "WWJD" becomes a governmental decision-making mantra that we stray and since that is a central pillar of the Republican party, they've strayed the furthest, in this regard.
You're just sore that convicts can't vote, but people that dance with rattlesnakes can
You're just sore that convicts can't vote, but people that dance with rattlesnakes can
I can vote.The notion that no where in the US can someone with a prior conviction vote is about as mythological as the Easter Bunny, or, the events that bunny commemorates.
I can vote.The notion that no where in the US can someone with a prior conviction vote is about as mythological as the Easter Bunny, or, the events that bunny commemorates, or the idea that the religious right is the reason the republicans are losing this year
While a majority of states restore voting rights to convicted felons after they complete their prison terms or probation periods, at least ten states, including Virginia, Delaware and New Mexico permanently prohibit former felons from voting.
(btw: he himself stated once that he is led by god's instructions. scary, imo). and they wrote about palin's home church and their belief, that every occurrence is part of god's plan. and they pointed out that palin might be thinking that her nomination and everything could be part of this plan. of course, just theory, but as her strong belief and the beliefs of her church are known, it semms possible. scary, too, imo.
dont believe everything you read the way it is spun by the MSM and the left wing bloggers. If you read the original the thoughts are much more benign than youre made to believe.
I don't think our country is any more obliged to 'balance' the interests of religious fantasy and government as we are to make sure that "Dungeons and Dragons" has some sort of a role in our economic planning.
But it sure would be fun if we decided foreign policy with 20 sided die and cleric with +12 healing power.
I know this is going to be hard for you.But being religious doesn't equal being full of bad economic policiesIf it did you would have a point,Since it doesn't, you don't
No, you misunderstood me. I think the religious side has good economic policies. My problem is that the good economic policies are yoked to the religion and the other stuff that comes with it.
dont believe everything you read the way it is spun by the MSM and the left wing bloggers. If you read the original the thoughts are much more benign than youre made to believe.
well, i read it in our leading political magazine, wich is considered to be neutral/center in the political spectrum. and since it has obv no value in supporting one side in a foreign election, i think it is pretty objective in this case.
I can vote.The notion that no where in the US can someone with a prior conviction vote is about as mythological as the Easter Bunny, or, the events that bunny commemorates.
While a majority of states restore voting rights to convicted felons after they complete their prison terms or probation periods, at least ten states, including Virginia, Delaware and New Mexico permanently prohibit former felons from voting.
yep, scram's right.
graphpie.jpg
No, you misunderstood me. I think the religious side has good economic policies. My problem is that the good economic policies are yoked to the religion and the other stuff that comes with it.
Is it possible that the good economical policies are because of the religious leanings?Biblical principles like:The borrower is the slave to the lenderHe who does not work, does not eatRender unto ceaser what is ceaser'setc.?
Is it possible that the good economical policies are because of the religious leanings?Biblical principles like:The borrower is the slave to the lenderHe who does not work, does not eatRender unto ceaser what is ceaser'setc.?
Maybe... but regardless of its origins there is no necessary relationship between conservative economic policy and religion.
Maybe... but regardless of its origins there is no necessary relationship between conservative economic policy and religion.
Okay instead of origin, how about regional.Heartland = conservative economical principlesHeartland = Religious strongholdsCities = leftist economical mismangement policiesCities = stunted religious influences
Once again atheist show that they will gladly waste money to explain why they are right, instead of helping people.We call that self centerdness with a touch of egomanical self image problems
Once again atheist show that they will gladly waste money to explain why they are right, instead of helping people.We call that self centerdness with a touch of egomanical self image problems
Looks to me like the message in the ad is designed to help people.