Final Table Delay

Was delaying the final table 3 months worth it?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Delaying the final table:

• Brought a lot more publicity to poker
    • Brought a small amount of extra publicity to poker
    • Didn't hurt or help poker
    • Wasn't really worth the delay
    • Wasn't worth the delay and hurt the excitement for the final table

Ok, now that we're almost there. Just curious how everyone feels about the delay. Was it worth it? Hopefully Daniel will post as I know he was a big proponent of it and might have some insider perspective for us.gogogo.Mark

Hated the idea initially, think it's cool now.I'm excited to watch this.
I'd be excited to watch a complete FT, but a next day 2 hour edited version sucks. wait, I'll be in vegas during the FT but I don't even know where it's being held.

The idea behind the layoff was to build up hype for the FT. Didn't really happen. In fact, I'd say doing the Bowl Game-style layoff kind of dulled the excitement. Outside of family members and locals, any other interested spectators went home after the WSOP proper and probably aren't making the trip back to watch, if for no other reason because of one other factor: inbetween then and now, the economy went kaboom.I'm curious how the busted economy will affect turnout at next year's WSOP, in fact.

Personally I am more excited to watch this final table due to the fact that I don't yet know who won. I don't know if I can avoid all news between the time the FT ends and the telecast takes place. If so I might enjoy this broadcast a great deal. If not, oh well, probably not worth the delay.I don't think it has brought any more "hype" or PR to the tourney, maybe more attention within the poker community, but has anyone seen any more attention from outside of it? I haven't.

ESPN failed for the early part of the tournament by not really mentioning the final table was live and hyping that it was different this year than other years. But its still to early to tell, as we havent seen next weeks shows. It was definitely a plus for those nine that made it, and im sure that it was also a bit of a plus for the general poker media/publications. And it should create a spike in ratings for ESPN too.Oh yeah im f**cking pissed they dont have ppv. That has been a great party for me and friends the past few years. Plus, what if u happened to make the final table, you would have tons of friends/relatives that would love to order the ppv and check out how your doing live.

Funnily enough, what I expected to happen, the opposite happend.Initially I didn't like the idea for the same reasons as everyone else, but now as the final table draws closer, I'm starting to realise I'm actually kinda excited to see who is gona win.I also thought that the delay would increase the interest from the public. The FTers would be interviewed by main stream media, it could be hyped up as a live final by ESPN, the anticipation would be built up similar to that of a cup final in a sports cup competition. From what I've seen, that has not happened. I initially thought that I would have heard the 9 names so much that the names would just roll of my tongue, but right now, I couldn't even name all 9 players. If you mentioned 30 names, I may only be able to pick 6 or 7 that actually are at the FT.Also, the economy does effect it (as it effects absolutely everything!), so I guess you cannot get a 100% accurate view of whether the delay was good or bad. Also, out of interest, has anyone noticed easier games online in the last ~3 months?

ESPN failed for the early part of the tournament by not really mentioning the final table was live and hyping that it was different this year than other years. But its still to early to tell, as we havent seen next weeks shows. It was definitely a plus for those nine that made it, and im sure that it was also a bit of a plus for the general poker media/publications. And it should create a spike in ratings for ESPN too.Oh yeah im f**cking pissed they dont have ppv. That has been a great party for me and friends the past few years. Plus, what if u happened to make the final table, you would have tons of friends/relatives that would love to order the ppv and check out how your doing live.
?? Its not live.Mark

also, I haven't seen the ME episodes yet. How are they showing it? Is it as a "we are doing this live and don't know what is going to happen tomorrow" (as it is like last year), or is it "here's what happend in the main event this year, this is just for you to know what happened before we show you the FT

"we are doing this live and don't know what is going to happen tomorrow" (as it is like last year)
That much is the same.I personally have found myself to be more excited about seeing who wins. That being said, and as others have said, I haven't heard a word about the "November 9" in the MSM. I think it's bad timing with the election dominating all the news and talk shows. We did only just see who made the final table though, so maybe ESPN will do more in promoting the players between now and then.

only person i can think of is chino .. from the FTwhen is the FT date played also lol .. yea they failed at promoting and hyping it up .only way this idea works is if a known "tv pro" made it, otherwise who effin cares .

nit pick, much?
Wasn't trying to be silly or anything. But the final table isn't live in any way shape or form any more than it ever was. Its just played much closer to actual airtime now. But there isn't anything 'live' about it so not sure why ESPN would hype it that way.If we could watch it go down live with hole cards, that would be pretty sweet!Mark

I dont know... i actually wanna get a game going while i watch it.. sort of like a super bowl party thing. but i am addicted to tv poker, so i'm not a really good example of what they were looking for. Interested in what their ratings will actually be.

I have yet to hear anyone who isn't already a big poker fan talk about the final table (or anything WSOP related for that matter), and those casual fans are the ones that this was trying to reach out to imo.Thus, it had little to no effect either way I think (unless you were one of the November 9, then you probably got a little more publicity and sponsor $$).All that being said, I am going to hibernate from poker websites for 2 days in a couple weeks because i want to watch the final episode(s) w/o knowing what happened.

I've actually heard two people who play very casually(our drunken home game, and a free bar tourney once in a blue moon), who remarked they didnt know the WSOP wasn't over. They were both kind of excited and wanted to get caught up on episodes. Phillips being from here has been good for st. louis poker. Everyone wants to know if you've played with him, and is rooting for him to do well. So there is a bit of buzz from the very casual fan, take it for what it's worth. I haven't kept up on the main event much. I probably watch each episode 20 times over the course of the year. I usually know the result of events, so I watch more for the hand to hand play rather than the progress of the tourney. I should get caught up too. Anyone know if they plan on running any marathons in the near future?

As an already existing fan Im definitely more excited to watch the FT since I dont know who won. So I like the format and think the players benefit from it enormously. Although I feel bad for the guy who goes out first, no more money for him.I think a terrible job was done of promoting the fact. ESPN has a ton of guys watching it constantly, why are poker commercials on primarily during poker shows? Shouldnt it be the opposite?