Ugh, this whole thread was one big head scratching yawn fest...not to mention 5 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. Listening to you guys argue about which candidate is more racist is just...wow. This thread was more racist than the original comments by McCain or Rev. Wright lol.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course it is. Even if in the context of the Vietnam War it wasn't racist (and it seems to me that it certainly was, although surely I have to defer to you on that issue) it most certainly is now, and is widely interpreted as an offensive racial slur. I don't think you're going to find too many Asians who don't find it offensive. Mirriam-Webster:Pronunciation: \ˈgük\Function:nounEtymology: origin unknownDate: 1920usually offensive : a nonwhite or non-American person ; specifically : asian
They find it offensive if its misused to refer to them. My point is that the people you are accusing of being racist, John McCain and VN vets dont use it that way.Any word that refers to a race or nationality can be considered racist if misused. That is a problem of the user, not of the word itself.
They find it offensive if its misused to refer to them. My point is that the people you are accusing of being racist, John McCain and VN vets dont use it that way.Any word that refers to a race or nationality can be considered racist if misused. That is a problem of the user, not of the word itself.
wasn't there some racism outcry as a result of mccain saying "that one" in reference to obama during the debates?that kind of made me giggle, even if it is fox news BS. heard it from my parents, so it's almost a lock to be fox news BS.
wasn't there some racism outcry as a result of mccain saying "that one" in reference to obama during the debates?that kind of made me giggle, even if it is fox news BS. heard it from my parents, so it's almost a lock to be fox news BS.
Why would Fox raise it as an issue, except in response to some liberal rag claiming it was racist?
Why would Fox raise it as an issue, except in response to some liberal rag claiming it was racist?
you tell me, man. I'm just relating my experiences. I found it hilarious and overly sensitive, even though I wouldn't expect positive results if I pointed to a black person and said "that one."given that I attend KU, I might as well be saying "that football or basketball player."
you tell me, man. I'm just relating my experiences. I found it hilarious and overly sensitive, even though I wouldn't expect positive results if I pointed to a black person and said "that one."given that I attend KU, I might as well be saying "that football or basketball player."
the answer is simple...they didnt.
You're totally backwards on this. The fact that the word was used in war to describe enemy Asian soldiers is exactly why the word still exists as a racial slur. It's not like "gook" was used to describe the Nazis and now it's a racial slur for Vietnamese. It was most recently used in war in Vietnam, and today as a racial slur it is most-often directed towards Vietnamese people. If a soldier came back from Somalia and said 'I hate the niggers,' would it be an acceptable defense to say 'Oh that's what we called them there???'"Gook" is and always has been an offensive and derogatory term.
You're totally backwards on this. The fact that the word was used in war to describe enemy Asian soldiers is exactly why the word still exists as a racial slur. It's not like "gook" was used to describe the Nazis and now it's a racial slur for Vietnamese. It was most recently used in war in Vietnam, and today as a racial slur it is most-often directed towards Vietnamese people. If a soldier came back from Somalia and said 'I hate the niggers,' would it be an acceptable defense to say 'Oh that's what we called them there???'"Gook" is and always has been an offensive and derogatory term.
If you say so.
You clearly dont get it....The Wright example simply shows you that you cant Get BHO to admit anything... He just denies denies denies and you guys lap it up...You would have to have to be very naive to think he never heard or didnt hear those things...McCain when confronted admits it and tries to give context... but doesnt denyYou cant pin Obama down on anything
So an admitted racist is better than one who MAY have listened to some allegedly racist sermons occasionally?
How many times in this thread have I said McCain's comments were in excusable...Are you really buying he could sit in those pews for 20 years an not hear those racists spews from Wright..
Yes I could because I'm willing to bet that he wasn't in those pews more than 2 times a month. It's just the nature of his line of work that you don't get that many days off. And regardless, there is nothing to show that he agreed with those aspects of Reverend Wright's philosophy. You still haven't shown me ONE LINK of Obama saying anything RACIST. UNLIKE JOHN MCCAIN!. Which just goes to show how far you will go to defend John McCain and smear Obama.

Already pretty clearly proven that dehumanizing the enemy during a war is an effective way to help our soldiers deal with the action of killing them.So we train a guy for vietnam, then it's his fault he uses the word?He gets captured for 5 years, watches friends killed he himself is tortured and has pain for life, from the people our government taught him to call gook.I think you would be better served to make fun of him for not using a computer since he can't type with his hands after 5 years of torture.

Already pretty clearly proven that dehumanizing the enemy during a war is an effective way to help our soldiers deal with the action of killing them.So we train a guy for vietnam, then it's his fault he uses the word?He gets captured for 5 years, watches friends killed he himself is tortured and has pain for life, from the people our government taught him to call gook.I think you would be better served to make fun of him for not using a computer since he can't type with his hands after 5 years of torture.
ThisIs why I said this
This right here is the difference.
The war was a long time ago. I think (hope) that McCain has been "re-humanized."
So being captured and imprisoned for 5 years by these people, where he was frequently tortured is something he should just forget about? And he shouldn't have at least some animosity towards these people?
The war was a long time ago. I think (hope) that McCain has been "re-humanized."
You are missing the point Timmy. I don't think anyone is saying that him using that terminology is appropriate, I think most are saying they understand why.He was trained by a military at the time who pounded into their heads, "Kill those dirty Gooks" and other racial epitaphs just like BG said to dehumanize the enemy, so it is easier to kill them. Some really disturbing stuff happened in Vietnam that we have never seen in modern day wars, before and since.To top that off the people who he already was programmed to hate, captured him, tortured him and slowly killed his fellow service men right in front of him.
So being captured and imprisoned for 5 years by these people, where he was frequently tortured is something he should just forget about? And he shouldn't have at least some animosity towards these people?
What do you mean "these people"?
You are missing the point Timmy. I don't think anyone is saying that him using that terminology is appropriate, I think most are saying they understand why.He was trained by a military at the time who pounded into their heads, "Kill those dirty Gooks" and other racial epitaphs just like BG said to dehumanize the enemy, so it is easier to kill them. Some really disturbing stuff happened in Vietnam that we have never seen in modern day wars, before and since.To top that off the people who he already was programmed to hate, captured him, tortured him and slowly killed his fellow service men right in front of him.
But Tim's right,After a couple years you got to move on and leave this stuff behindLike when they used to give me swirleys in jr high, I had to release that back in '02 or I was never going to move on.

Just to be clear, in say twenty years it will be understandable for our President, who is a veteran of one or both Iraq Wars, to say 'Yeah I hate sand-niggers, of course I hate them'?

Just to be clear, in say twenty years it will be understandable for our President, who is a veteran of one or both Iraq Wars, to say 'Yeah I hate sand-niggers, of course I hate them'?
No, but it would be hilarious.
Never said it was right. Just said it was different, and understandable.
So an admitted racist is better than one who MAY have listened to some allegedly racist sermons occasionally?
I love the fact that you don't care about obama and wright, but when mccain said 'gook' he's automatically a racist. It's so funny to see you up in arms about mccain's gook comment, but in other situations, you seem to ignore the same type of racial tones and attitudes. As long as a democrat said it, it's not racist. And by funny, I mean incredibly stupid reasoning.
Yes I could because I'm willing to bet that he wasn't in those pews more than 2 times a month. It's just the nature of his line of work that you don't get that many days off. And regardless, there is nothing to show that he agreed with those aspects of Reverend Wright's philosophy. You still haven't shown me ONE LINK of Obama saying anything RACIST. UNLIKE JOHN MCCAIN!. Which just goes to show how far you will go to defend John McCain and smear Obama.
You're willing to bet he was gone more than half the time. What are you basing this on, other than you pulling this out of your ass? Now you're explaining away obama's relationship with an admitted racist as, "Oh, obama was really busy, he probably wasn't even paying attention to the message" or "Obama's been friends with the guy for 20 years, but there is no way obama subscribes to the same racist thoughts as wright. He just attended wrights church, listened to wrights sermon's for 20 years, but never in a million years is obama a racist, and he would never ever do anything like that."That's what you're saying, all the while calling mccain a racist? Nimue, you can't be serious here, can you?
I love the fact that you don't care about obama and wright, but when mccain said 'gook' he's automatically a racist. It's so funny to see you up in arms about mccain's gook comment, but in other situations, you seem to ignore the same type of racial tones and attitudes. As long as a democrat said it, it's not racist. And by funny, I mean incredibly stupid reasoning.You're willing to bet he was gone more than half the time. What are you basing this on, other than you pulling this out of your ass? Now you're explaining away obama's relationship with an admitted racist as, "Oh, obama was really busy, he probably wasn't even paying attention to the message" or "Obama's been friends with the guy for 20 years, but there is no way obama subscribes to the same racist thoughts as wright. He just attended wrights church, listened to wrights sermon's for 20 years, but never in a million years is obama a racist, and he would never ever do anything like that."That's what you're saying, all the while calling mccain a racist? Nimue, you can't be serious here, can you?
She apparently is slipping further and further from reality..its easy to see when you only read her when shes quoted. To believe that he never heard those comments, never saw the CDs RW was selling, never heard a comment from someone else in the church "woohoo, Rev tore the US a new one last week", is the epitome of hook line and sinker.