he is a man of his word.
I'm still in shock, but I always knew Rob would do this. I would probably not have and then tried to bribe Jamie with a lifetime of free martini's.Rob is teh huts. He should write a book soon....just one that doesn't include any poker advice. Please.We wouldn't respect his raises anyway... :club:
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still in shock, but I always knew Rob would do this. I would probably not have and then tried to bribe Jamie with a lifetime of free martini's.
Why? It's not like Cali isn't in the bag for obama already.... BG could vote for Bob Hope for all the difference it would make. I doubt he would have made this wager if he was in an actual swing state. I myself am in a state that's in the bag for McCain ( Nebraska, the last time Nebraska went Dem for president was FDR), so I'm considering a Bob Hope ballot. I actually voted for Bush in 2004, 'cause I know washington state was going Kerry, and I wanted to annoy hippies by telling them I voted for bush. The electoral college is a fcking sham.. I never in the world thought that it could survive a debacle like 2000, and yet I was stunningly wrong, as people focused on hanging chads instead of the fundemental flaw in our democracy that renders millions of votes literally meaningless. If the election was by popular vote instead of electoral college, BG's wager would have been actually meaningful.

I guess that's why your system doesn't make sense to me. As for Rob and Checky to make a bet on a vote wow, I can understand why it kills Rob. But I am glad he is a man of his word. Reading the threads here on FCP you get to know a lot about some people and I do Respect both Rob and Checky. Sometimes the logic just does not make sense lol

Why? It's not like Cali isn't in the bag for obama already.... BG could vote for Bob Hope for all the difference it would make. I doubt he would have made this wager if he was in an actual swing state. I myself am in a state that's in the bag for McCain ( Nebraska, the last time Nebraska went Dem for president was FDR), so I'm considering a Bob Hope ballot. I actually voted for Bush in 2004, 'cause I know washington state was going Kerry, and I wanted to annoy hippies by telling them I voted for bush. The electoral college is a fcking sham.. I never in the world thought that it could survive a debacle like 2000, and yet I was stunningly wrong, as people focused on hanging chads instead of the fundemental flaw in our democracy that renders millions of votes literally meaningless. If the election was by popular vote instead of electoral college, BG's wager would have been actually meaningful.
That would be ironic thoughMe voting for Bob Hope, while Bob Hope is voting for Obama in 13 key battle states.
That would be ironic thoughMe voting for Bob Hope, while Bob Hope is voting for Obama in 13 key battle states.
ironic enough for a double post imao, that's okay Rob the last 2 Federal elections here I have not voted for my party but for the canidate who represents a different party in my riding. She is a great person but works for the wrong party. But locally she does a great job representing us. I am not happy with the choice of our federal leader, nor our local canidate. Now that Our Federal leader has chosen to step down, I am hoping for some big changes. I am hoping my brother will be going to the Leadership convention if he does I will ask to go with him.
I myself am in a state that's in the bag for McCain ( Nebraska, the last time Nebraska went Dem for president was FDR), so I'm considering a Bob Hope ballot. [...] The electoral college is a fcking sham..
These two statements don't really go well together. Without the electoral college, Nebraska (and most states) would basically have no say in the election. The candidates would spend all their time catering to the 5 biggest cities, promising them more and more of our tax money. The electoral college is the only thing that gives a voice to those of us in states outside of NY, CA, and IL.
Don't worry, BG. When St. Peter questions you about this on your way to Heaven, I've got your back. I'll vouch that you really didn't want to do it and only did it out of honor.
Who said BG is going to Heaven? BG...you thought Palm Springs was hot!!!
I'll vouch that you really didn't want to do it and only did it out of honor.
Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences
Don't worry, BG. When St. Peter questions you about this on your way to Heaven, I've got your back. I'll vouch that you really didn't want to do it and only did it out of honor.
I can just imagine Yorke meeting the Almighty @ the pearly gates. God: Welcome all ye scientists and mathemiticiansYorke: Where are all the religous zeolots?God: None made it. You guys had it right all along. The science is 100% correct except for one thing. Someone had to create the bleeping science.
These two statements don't really go well together. Without the electoral college, Nebraska (and most states) would basically have no say in the election. The candidates would spend all their time catering to the 5 biggest cities, promising them more and more of our tax money. The electoral college is the only thing that gives a voice to those of us in states outside of NY, CA, and IL.
THIStoo bad more people don't have this fundamental understanding of the electoral college.
I couldn't disagree with this more. With the electoral college, the only votes that matter are the votes up to the one that beats the runner up. If McCain gets up to X votes in California, and Obama gets X+1 votes, then all of the votes for McCain in california are meaningless, as are all of the obama votes over X+1. Let me give you an extreme example of this. Lets say McCain wins every state but California by 1000 votes, and lets say Obama wins California by 10,000,000 votes. Obama would have won the popular vote by 9,951,000, and would have gotten slaughtered in the election. All of those extra ten million votes he won in Cali would have meant nothing, all of those voters may have well stayed home.In states that are clearly going to one candidate, there is absolutely no reason for supporters of the runner up to vote. Like in Nebraska, there is no reason for me at all to vote for Obama, no matter what I do, no matter how much I campaign, McCain will win Nebraska by like a 70-30 margin. This isn't democracy. If only the general election mattered, my one vote counts just as much as someone from Ohio, or someone from California. Everyone would have an equal say in the matter. As it is, places like Ohio and Florida are the only votes that matter, the rest of us are just sitting around wondering what president 5-10 states are going to pick for the rest of us. If you don't live in a swing state, you may as well stay home.
THIStoo bad more people don't have this fundamental understanding of the electoral college.
Don't be condescending, I understand the electoral college just fine. I just think it is an undemocratic anachronism that a modern democracy doesn't need.

the ironic thing about all of this is that NY ****ed up my voter registration and didn't tell me until it was too late, so unless i can figure out a way to get an iowa absentee ballot right quick, BG voted for me in a very concrete way, lol.

The electoral college as it rest right now is outdated. It was implemented before Television and Radio and the internet, now people in Montana and South Dakota have the same access to the nominees that I do living in CA.With that being said, I do not know what the correct change is. General election isn't it. Maybe electoral votes by counties? That way not all of big states like CA, TX, NY go to the same party year over year over year.

The electoral college as it rest right now is outdated. It was implemented before Television and Radio and the internet, now people in Montana and South Dakota have the same access to the nominees that I do living in CA.With that being said, I do not know what the correct change is. General election isn't it. Maybe electoral votes by counties? That way not all of big states like CA, TX, NY go to the same party year over year over year.
Living in Illinois, this state goes Blue beause of Cook County (chicago & a few collar suburbs).If you look at how the election shook out in 2004 - only 15 of 102 counties voted for Kerry ....12,831,970 people live in Illinois & 5,288,655 live in Cook County
Living in Illinois, this state goes Blue beause of Cook County (chicago & a few collar suburbs).If you look at how the election shook out in 2004 - only 15 of 102 counties voted for Kerry ....12,831,970 people live in Illinois & 5,288,655 live in Cook County
So in my recently made up system with no basis for being factual or working, Cook county would have 4 or 5 of the 11 votes.
What the hell is wrong with general election? what is wrong with one person, one vote? It's good enough for every other elected official in our country.
What the hell is wrong with general election? what is wrong with one person, one vote? It's good enough for every other elected official in our country.
agreed.

just to be clear, the electoral college was actually included in the original formulation of our political system as a safeguard just in case the "masses" decided to elect mickey mouse or george bush or something, so that the better informed could right things before an idiot/nonexistent thing was inaugurated. there's nothing to prevent electoral college members from voting against their state's popular vote. i'm pretty sure that's happened a couple times, but i'm not adept enough at google to figure out when that was.the electoral college will indeed be outdated, imo, when the media that informs the public is owned by more than 5 major conglomerates.

At least you know in Cook County the election is going to be handled fair and square. :club:
Yes, the founders intended for the people to directly elect the governors of their respective states, but they did not intend for the people to elect the president. The president was to be elected by the states, thus the electoral college.
just to be clear, the electoral college was actually included in the original formulation of our political system as a safeguard just in case the "masses" decided to elect mickey mouse or george bush or something, so that the better informed could right things before an idiot/nonexistent thing was inaugurated. there's nothing to prevent electoral college members from voting against their state's popular vote. i'm pretty sure that's happened a couple times, but i'm not adept enough at google to figure out when that was.the electoral college will indeed be outdated, imo, when the media that informs the public is owned by more than 5 major conglomerates.
this from comrade checky.