I Completely Lost Focus

The reasoning in your post LMD is one reason why I have come to the conclusion that I can't vote for either major party candidate. It's my contention that God isn't on the side of the Republicans or the Democrats. Both have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God and also short of the Founding Father's original vision of the United States. But I have a feeling that if this goes much further the thread will be moved to the Religion forum.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to put down the bible and educate yourself.
Just because someone is atheistic doesn't make them intelligent. It goes the reverse way also.That is, if someone does believe in God or spirituality, that doesn't somehow automatically make them stupid.
Just because someone is atheistic doesn't make them intelligent. It goes the reverse way also.That is, if someone does believe in God or spirituality, that doesn't somehow automatically make them stupid.
However, there is indeed a correlation between education, intelligence, and likelihood of strong religious belief.
I never said that.
True enough. His comment wasn't a generalization, but rather a specific barb aimed at a specific person. He didn't say all relgious people need to put their bibles down and educate themselves, he said lois needed to, it's an important, if possibly subtle distinction. I can see how you may have missed it, as you may not know the background of Lois Vs the forum.
Hahaha...gtfo...Not on my watch, buddy :-)...er...God willing.
Ohhhh reeeaaalllyyy?
To understand what can't be understood right now, that while his will might not be mine that I can accept whatever it is that happens. God interacts all the time, just not quite how I would want him to. Most of you will not even come close to getting this, so far BG is the only one who sees through the eyes of the wise. See, the thing is we know Obama is crap, his policies lead to job loss and more government dependence, now I have to figure out why in the world God would want that? Why would he want to take away freedom on some levels? One possible conclusion is that we were just assholes with it, that we took that freedom and corrupted it. I don't have to always like what God does but I do have to try and understand it.
Lois...didn't you say you weren't going to argue religion anymore?
True enough. His comment wasn't a generalization, but rather a specific barb aimed at a specific person. He didn't say all relgious people need to put their bibles down and educate themselves, he said lois needed to, it's an important, if possibly subtle distinction. I can see how you may have missed it, as you may not know the background of Lois Vs the forum.
Precisely, my dear Watson.There are so many rational, intelligent ways to discuss the existence of God, the way that God interacts in the world, etc. I just dont think teh Bible is a source of any of those ideas.
Humans are capable of compartmentalized madness. Thus someone can hold belief in a totally irrational concept (God), yet function normally and even contribute greatness in other realms.The concept of God is a vestigial form of madness borne out of primitive fears. In fact is can be said quite literally that God is Fear.
To understand what can't be understood right now, that while his will might not be mine that I can accept whatever it is that happens. God interacts all the time, just not quite how I would want him to. Most of you will not even come close to getting this, so far BG is the only one who sees through the eyes of the wise. See, the thing is we know Obama is crap, his policies lead to job loss and more government dependence, now I have to figure out why in the world God would want that? Why would he want to take away freedom on some levels? One possible conclusion is that we were just assholes with it, that we took that freedom and corrupted it. I don't have to always like what God does but I do have to try and understand it.
Why live in such fear? This is such an amazing beautiful existence that is over in an eyeblink, why is reality something you try so hard to avoid?

By the way, it has been some time since Daniel released a "reunion with Jesus" blog. He has been busy kicking butt in the real world of poker tournaments, but I have to predict that it is only days or weeks before Daniel will issue a mea culpa about ignoring Jesus and the psychological consequences thereof. I could almost save him the trouble and write it myself...

However, there is indeed a correlation between education, intelligence, and likelihood of strong religious belief.
There is a huge difference between spiritual understanding and religious belief, in my opinion. The first is freeing, the second is *POTENTIALLY* limiting.
There are so many rational, intelligent ways to discuss the existence of God, the way that God interacts in the world, etc. I just dont think teh Bible is a source of any of those ideas.
Are you saying you don't think the Bible has any good ideas about God in it? What other sources of good ideas about God did you think would be better? The Vedas? The Koran?
Are you saying you don't think the Bible has any good ideas about God in it? What other sources of good ideas about God did you think would be better? The Vedas? The Koran?
In terms of accessible insight, I would rank those texts: Vedas >> Bible > Koran
Humans are capable of compartmentalized madness. Thus someone can hold belief in a totally irrational concept (God), yet function normally and even contribute greatness in other realms.The concept of God is a vestigial form of madness borne out of primitive fears. In fact is can be said quite literally that God is Fear.
The concept of God is not vestigal. God is a spiritual force that is quite alive, complete and fully functioning, right now. God isn't even Christian. God is a Universally true thing much like gravity. You don't have to believe in God for It to exist.I used to be extremely atheistic, and since then I have had so many experiences that have changed the way see the world. I get it, some people see the world as just physical stuff. So I am not going to call you an idiot of anything like that, for having your own way of seeing the world that differs from mine. But my personal experience has shown me there is more to the world than just the physical world. And I don't expect anyone to understand without me explaining years of my life. But suffice it to say, I disagree that God = Fear. And that people who have had spiritual experiences are deluded (mad/irrational).
Maybe I came off a little to harsh on the Bible there. There are ideas about God in the bible. Im just not sure how rational or logical they are.

I'm starting to sense that you guys don't understand that the Bible is the Word of God...Of course, I can see how you guys are wise enough to know all truth without it.

The concept of God is not vestigal. God is a spiritual force that is quite alive, complete and fully functioning, right now. God isn't even Christian. God is a Universally true thing much like gravity. You don't have to believe in God for It to exist.I used to be extremely atheistic, and since then I have had so many experiences that have changed the way see the world. I get it, some people see the world as just physical stuff. So I am not going to call you an idiot of anything like that, for having your own way of seeing the world that differs from mine. But my personal experience has shown me there is more to the world than just the physical world. And I don't expect anyone to understand without me explaining years of my life. But suffice it to say, I disagree that God = Fear. And that people who have had spiritual experiences are deluded (mad/irrational).
Not deluded, just broken in one area. But God is an excellent circuit breaker for you and the vast majority of people. The ability of the mind to compartmentalize this dysfunction and use it for cosmic motivation rather than conception/action is innocuous most of the time. The beauty of atheism is that you feel the same rapture at observing and participating in reality that the religious feel in escaping into their imagination. It is a much more pure and visceral joy because it is based in the real world rather than a supernatural imaginary construct. It is also a more heroic position as it requires more strength to live in the here and now than it does to escape into the seductive but ultimately false promise of an amorphous alternative. Atheism is the highest form of spirituality.
Word of God, possibly. ONLY Word of God? Definitely NOT. (imho)
I guess it's possible in an infinite universe for God to contradict Himself. But I don't see it happening in this universe.btw, I'm just fishing for the arrogant people that think mocking God makes them internet tough, you weren't suppose to take the bait.ooh I think I got one