What Books Are You Guys Reading?

Just finished Vince Flynn's Extreme MeasuresGreat book, started reading it at 6 didn't stop till it was finished at midnightHis whole series is really good stuff.Also reading the story of The Bloody 100th airgroup of the 8th airforce in WW2 writen by a navigator, another amazing book of American heroism
huge fan. read them all. read the latest book in one sitting flying from Argentina to Miami. Could not put it down.
  • Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's fun to look up that race and see how they all turned out.

I finally started reading Moneyball yesterday. I'm about halfway through and so far it's great. I'm really happy I'm finally reading it.   It's fun to insta lookup all the players they talk about

Done and done. Man, that was epic.

On a different note Book Three of the Inheritance Triolgy (Alegasia) series is out, it's called Brisinger and it's been extended to 4 books (for now) instead of three.I thought the first two books were good, I really enjoyed the story and thought they were written fantastically well by someone who was so young when he started the series. Eragon the movie, however, was a giant pile of crap.I will wait until its not $40 to buy a first edition that I don't care about, or borrow it from my buddy.
i will indulge you guapo. on the one hand, this guy just blatantly rips off every great sci fi books and series ever. on the other hand, it is just original enough that I enjoy the books. he, like the harry potter author, has a pretty good feel for writing a long complex plot. I liked book one a lot. book two was ok. book 3 was better, imo. answered a lot of questions and ended some nagging threads.The movie was awful, yes.
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished American Psycho. To say it was a little graphic would be like saying T.O. is a bad teammate; a complete understatement. I got annoyed by all the descriptions of different clothing every other page but I guess if you're going to explain the killings and sexual encounters in such detail, you have to treat everything else the same. Also just started Open and Shut by David Rosenfelt and so far am a big fan of his wit.

I got annoyed by all the descriptions of different clothing every other page but I guess if you're going to explain the killings and sexual encounters in such detail, you have to treat everything else the same.
I think it was a little deeper than that.
How so? Like a comment on society and the culture he was in at the time?
Yes, he described peoples clothes more vividly than anything else for a reason. It may have been a comment on materialism. Or it might have been connected to how he was always being confused for someone else and confusing other people for someone else. The whole story is about a lack of identity. It has something to do with that. I either cant or wont explain it better. If BigD sees this he will.

the whole point with american psycho was the desensitization (word?) the way the money and the status bled together and even decadence got boring and became a way to keep score.the outfits, the cds and the killings got the same emotional level of description. He delved deeper and deeper into depraved killings looking for emotions that didn't come.Kudos on finishing it, most don't. I don't reccomend that book to people.Easton Ellis has written some serious masterful shit too though, Less than zero was great and his last book, Lunar Park is intense and kick ass. (No 10 pg. breakdowns of Phil Collins albums either.)Also, if you like the writing style of Ellis, Will Christopher Baer wrote a trilogy that's my favorite thing ever. Kiss Me Judas is the first book.

Siddhartha but I keep on unintentionally avoiding it.I need to download this spell checker thing.
I have owned this book for over 10 years. I have read the first chapter or two numerous times, but never could get into it.Let me know how it is, and if I should pick it up again. I don't even remember what it is about.

Just finished 'My Friend Leonard' from James Frey. Frey got a real bad rap and his books are good reads for addicts or people who are mad at the addicts in their lives. This book was way more chill than million little pieces, mostly fun, finished it in a day.I do wish he'd use paragraphs though.

i just finished "tuesdays with morrie" and although i don't know if its listed here, i would def recommend it. It's a true story written by mitch albom about him spending time with his former college professor who has ALS (lou gerhig's disease). i laughed and cried, i couldn't put the book down.

i just finished "tuesdays with morrie" and although i don't know if its listed here, i would def recommend it. It's a true story written by mitch albom about him spending time with his former college professor who has ALS (lou gerhig's disease). i laughed and cried, i couldn't put the book down.
Yea, I enjoyed freshman year in high school too.
I have owned this book for over 10 years. I have read the first chapter or two numerous times, but never could get into it.Let me know how it is, and if I should pick it up again. I don't even remember what it is about.
This could be awhile. I haven't picked it up since my last post.
Never read it, but they made a rather weak movie about it. I figured the book would be good.
huge fan. read them all. read the latest book in one sitting flying from Argentina to Miami. Could not put it down.
I've read all the Vince Flynn as well, great stuff.
Finished American Psycho. To say it was a little graphic would be like saying T.O. is a bad teammate; a complete understatement. I got annoyed by all the descriptions of different clothing every other page but I guess if you're going to explain the killings and sexual encounters in such detail, you have to treat everything else the same. Also just started Open and Shut by David Rosenfelt and so far am a big fan of his wit.
Rosenfelt as well. Great humor.
Wife drug me to the play and I enjoyed it. Don't know how the book would be though.Okay, read book one of the Malazan series and wanted to kill some people around here for a while. I did get into towards the end after you figure out who, what and where you are, well as best you can. It's like a 487 page introduction or setting for the rest of the series I guess. I'll probably read the next one since I have so much vested in learning (running back and forth from the front index to the back looking for names and places)l and hope it picks up.Not that it was bad just a tad frustrating. Once you get the hang of it it goes alot faster. Meh, we'll see.
Okay, read book one of the Malazan series and wanted to kill some people around here for a while. I did get into towards the end after you figure out who, what and where you are, well as best you can. It's like a 487 page introduction or setting for the rest of the series I guess. I'll probably read the next one since I have so much vested in learning (running back and forth from the front index to the back looking for names and places)l and hope it picks up.Not that it was bad just a tad frustrating. Once you get the hang of it it goes alot faster. Meh, we'll see.
Heh, I warned you (or whomever) that the first book is very hard to get into, mainly because he doesn't ease you into the world at all. Also, there was like a 10 year span between him writing the first book and the second, and most feel the writing got a lot better.I _promise_ that the 2nd book is much better and easier to follow, and the 3rd book is excellent. Pretty much every one after the first is great imo, and believe it or not, the first one is much better on reread. If you don't like the 2nd and 3rd books, I'll send you something from the fpp store on stars or full tilt. :club:
Heh, I warned you (or whomever) that the first book is very hard to get into, mainly because he doesn't ease you into the world at all. Also, there was like a 10 year span between him writing the first book and the second, and most feel the writing got a lot better.I _promise_ that the 2nd book is much better and easier to follow, and the 3rd book is excellent. Pretty much every one after the first is great imo, and believe it or not, the first one is much better on reread. If you don't like the 2nd and 3rd books, I'll send you something from the fpp store on stars or full tilt. :club:
Lol, okay. Just ordered the 2nd book. Again, I got into towards the end and you get used to expecting new charachters. Heck, they were showing up in the last few pages, lol.
Lol, okay. Just ordered the 2nd book. Again, I got into towards the end and you get used to expecting new charachters. Heck, they were showing up in the last few pages, lol.
Yeah, there will never be a shortage of characters....And you might be semi annoyed in the way the series jumps from groups of characters lol. There will be some familiar faces in the 2nd one, but a good portion of the characters from the first book don't see action again until book 3.
Yeah, there will never be a shortage of characters....And you might be semi annoyed in the way the series jumps from groups of characters lol. There will be some familiar faces in the 2nd one, but a good portion of the characters from the first book don't see action again until book 3.
Got it, though there is a question. The library doesn't have the 3rd book but they do have, shoot I forget what it's called, but it's an offshoot book based on the Malazan Empire's fringe sector or something. It doesn't list it as part of the series, came out in 2005. I guess I'll have to go look it back up. I'll get the 3rd book on amazon used or something.Side note- Just got wife to read Tale of Two Cities and though she hates anything not written in plain English she finally took to itand couldn't stop raving about it last night after she finished. I picked it up at Borders in a clearance section along with some otherclassics they offer and they're pretty nice, hardbacka and have nice footnotes to go along and help explain things.Has anyone mentioned Jeffrey Deaver? He did the whole Lincoln Rhyme series (Bone Collector) and he's one of my favorite writers.
Got it, though there is a question. The library doesn't have the 3rd book but they do have, shoot I forget what it's called, but it's an offshoot book based on the Malazan Empire's fringe sector or something. It doesn't list it as part of the series, came out in 2005. I guess I'll have to go look it back up. I'll get the 3rd book on amazon used or something.
You are prob talking about either Night of Knives, which is written by his co-creator Ian Esslemont and is a prequel of sorts (his first book in the series, Return of the Crimson Guard, just came out recently, though I haven't ordered it through amazon.ca or uk, and he will have multiple volumes as well), or one of the novellas written by Erikson about a couple of side characters. If it is one of those (2 oe 3 I believe), I'd suggest reading the 3rd book in the series first so you are familiar with those characters and have a better understanding. Pretty light reading, but entertaining.
I'm still trying to get into book 1 of Malazan. I definitely see the potential of awesomeness, but right now it is a struggle lol.
Yeah, iirc, the first time I read it it took me a _lot_ longer to finish then I am accustomed to.
You are prob talking about either Night of Knives, which is written by his co-creator Ian Esslemont and is a prequel of sorts (his first book in the series, Return of the Crimson Guard, just came out recently, though I haven't ordered it through amazon.ca or uk, and he will have multiple volumes as well), or one of the novellas written by Erikson about a couple of side characters. If it is one of those (2 oe 3 I believe), I'd suggest reading the 3rd book in the series first so you are familiar with those characters and have a better understanding. Pretty light reading, but entertaining.
This is the one I ordered and unfortunately it will come before book 2. Should I wait?Blood follows : a tale of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach / by Steven Erikson. by Erikson, Steven Publisher: San Francisco : Night Shade Books, c2005. Edition: 1st ed. Description: 121 p. : ill. ; 21 cm. Genre : Fantasy fiction ISBN: 159780004X 1597800058 No. of Requests: 1 Reviews The first of a series of novellas set in an exotic world that will appeal to fans of Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar. Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information. PW Reviews 2005 July #3 (W5G3) A killer stalks the streets of Lamentable Moll, a port city in the empire of Malazan. When Emancipor Reese's employer becomes one of the killer's victims, the luckless Reese finds himself in need of another job. He finds a position as manservant to a mysterious old sorcerer and soon lands in the midst of the search to find the killer. Erikson's novels set in the Malazan Empire (Gardens of the Moon; Deadhouse Gates) are filled with a rich, exotic culture and a diverse set of characters. This illustrated novella, the first in a series of short fiction showcasing the darker corners of the Empire, belongs in libraries where the series has a following. Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information. LJ Reviews 2005 August #1 (LB5O)
Yeah, iirc, the first time I read it it took me a _lot_ longer to finish then I am accustomed to.
Yeah, it definately gets faster as you go and I'd advise to make frequent use of the front charachter section as well as the rest of the information in the back of the book. Some characters are called by multiple or similar things which can throw you like Shadowthrone has a few as well as Anomander Rake. They also both have some similar confusing people under them but once you figure it out it's pretty cool.
This is the one I ordered and unfortunately it will come before book 2. Should I wait?Blood follows : a tale of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach / by Steven Erikson. by Erikson, Steven Publisher: San Francisco : Night Shade Books, c2005. Edition: 1st ed. Description: 121 p. : ill. ; 21 cm. Genre : Fantasy fiction ISBN: 159780004X 1597800058 No. of Requests: 1 Reviews The first of a series of novellas set in an exotic world that will appeal to fans of Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar. Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information. PW Reviews 2005 July #3 (W5G3) A killer stalks the streets of Lamentable Moll, a port city in the empire of Malazan. When Emancipor Reese's employer becomes one of the killer's victims, the luckless Reese finds himself in need of another job. He finds a position as manservant to a mysterious old sorcerer and soon lands in the midst of the search to find the killer. Erikson's novels set in the Malazan Empire (Gardens of the Moon; Deadhouse Gates) are filled with a rich, exotic culture and a diverse set of characters. This illustrated novella, the first in a series of short fiction showcasing the darker corners of the Empire, belongs in libraries where the series has a following. Copyright 2005 Reed Business Information. LJ Reviews 2005 August #1 (LB5O) Yeah, it definately gets faster as you go and I'd advise to make frequent use of the front charachter section as well as the rest of the information in the back of the book. Some characters are called by multiple or similar things which can throw you like Shadowthrone has a few as well as Anomander Rake. They also both have some similar confusing people under them but once you figure it out it's pretty cool.
Reading Blood Follows before you read the 3rd book won't ruin anything in the series (that I recall), but I think you would appreciate it more if you had. Like I said, pretty short and light (in comparison to novels).Yeah, characters can get confusing, and people sometimes have a hard time picking up the whole magic system/warrens. In future books there are parts that explain things in detail, but pretty much there are the Elder warrens accessible by the non-human races (Tiste Andii/Rake, Jaghut, etc) and then there are the human accessible warrens that the mages access. Too simple of an explanation, but whatever.What else confuses people? Hmmm....Soletaken = someone that can veer into another form (a dragon for example), while D'ivers = someone/thing that can veer into multiple other things (a pack of wolves). That is covered in book 2 though.

I'm still trying to understand what a warren is. They engage their warrens in battle it seems like. Is that their defense system, or their magic? Do they have access to one warren, or a bunch of different ones?