What Books Are You Guys Reading?

I'm still trying to understand what a warren is. They engage their warrens in battle it seems like. Is that their defense system, or their magic? Do they have access to one warren, or a bunch of different ones?
I'll try here. A Warren is like a wormhole through space where they can travel. They can also be used as magic in other ways like as a defense shield. Most of them have a Warren that comes from their ancestry or is obtained a different way like through an object like a sword. So like Tattersail can tap into her Thyr Warren (or whichever). It seemed different Gods had there own as well as the different Mages and wizards. I know it seems complicated but as you read it gets easier since they pretty much tell you what they're doing with it as it happens.
  • Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's fun to look up that race and see how they all turned out.

I finally started reading Moneyball yesterday. I'm about halfway through and so far it's great. I'm really happy I'm finally reading it.   It's fun to insta lookup all the players they talk about

Done and done. Man, that was epic.

I'll try here. A Warren is like a wormhole through space where they can travel. They can also be used as magic in other ways like as a defense shield. Most of them have a Warren that comes from their ancestry or is obtained a different way like through an object like a sword. So like Tattersail can tap into her Thyr Warren (or whichever). It seemed different Gods had there own as well as the different Mages and wizards. I know it seems complicated but as you read it gets easier since they pretty much tell you what they're doing with it as it happens.
thanks.... I'm sure things will get more clear the farther I get along in the book.
Not a bad attempt after less then one book. :club: Here is the wiki summary, which is pretty good. Not really any spoilers, but maybe info you would have read on your own:Magic in the Malazan Book of the Fallen, a high fantasy series by Steven Erikson, involves tapping power from inside the mage, taking power from spirits, or most commonly using the power of a Warren or Hold. The effects created varies depending on where the magic is taken from, how it is combined, and the intent of the mage. Warrens are themselves complete realms or worlds containing sentient and non-sentient creatures, geography and a ruling creature, usually a god. The power of warrens are theorized to come from dragons, each of whom have an aspect the same as the warren. Most races have a racial Warren that exhibits particular effects or properties; humans generally tap Warrens based on an innate preference, that produce limited or specific effects. The books have stated that Warrens are best described as closed doors in the mage's mind. Accessing the power behind it requires careful, and deliberate opening to unleash and shape the power within. Controlling an open Warren is a draining process, and to open the door too far is to invite madness, physical harm, or death upon the mage. Racial Warrens are Elder, unavailable to humans in most cases, and significantly more powerful, in addition to being immune to the magic-deadening effects of otataral.Here is the link to that full page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_in_the_...k_of_the_Fallen . Probably more info then you need, and it is all given to you within the text, but it would answer any questions you had.
I'd love to hear what you think of that book.. and I'd love to read it if it's good.
I'll let you know.(Why are you up so late on Christmas?)

Starting a new audio book which is (holy crap) 28 hours called Anathem. It is very possibly ten times more confusing than the Malazan series ever hoped. It had great reviews so I'll give it a few discs but ugh, I'm not sure.It takes place in a different world, with a different language though he uses English most words don't mean what we think they mean. It's like reading a cryptogram.

Starting a new audio book which is (holy crap) 28 hours called Anathem. It is very possibly ten times more confusing than the Malazan series ever hoped. It had great reviews so I'll give it a few discs but ugh, I'm not sure.It takes place in a different world, with a different language though he uses English most words don't mean what we think they mean. It's like reading a cryptogram.
That sound awful. Good luck.
Reminds of when I tried to read Trainspotting.
Reminds of when I tried to read Trainspotting.
I tried to read Trainspotting before seeing the movie, but I could only get through about 5 pages of it, I couldn't understand fcking anything. But after seeing the movie, I understood what the words were that he was phonetically spelling, as I was able to read it ( great book, for the record)
I tried to read Trainspotting before seeing the movie, but I could only get through about 5 pages of it, I couldn't understand fcking anything. But after seeing the movie, I understood what the words were that he was phonetically spelling, as I was able to read it ( great book, for the record)
When I read it I would really struggle to get through the first page or two but I would finally get into the rythm and it would get easier. The only trouble was if I read more than 10 pages or so I would find myself speaking certain phrases the Begbie would. Not many Americans will tolerate being called a fat fucking cunt.

I got the Tony Dungy book for Xmas. Anyone read this? Should I bother? I played nice since my mother in law always buys me these semi religious self help type books. I have told everyone, pretty much without question, if I read, it is going to be fiction.

I got the Tony Dungy book for Xmas. Anyone read this? Should I bother? I played nice since my mother in law always buys me these semi religious self help type books. I have told everyone, pretty much without question, if I read, it is going to be non-fiction.
Well... it's non-fiction.
At least you didn't receive YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.
This is an excellent point. Dungy is a great coach, so it can't be all bad.
The Roadsoon to be a major motion picture!
This book was so boring, I quit half way through.Just finishing up Pillars of the Earth, I loved it, and starting World Without End right away. Both Ken Follet novels.