What Books Are You Guys Reading?

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's fun to look up that race and see how they all turned out.

I finally started reading Moneyball yesterday. I'm about halfway through and so far it's great. I'm really happy I'm finally reading it.   It's fun to insta lookup all the players they talk about

Done and done. Man, that was epic.

I'm about 450 pages in now. I haven't kept up my desired pace, and the last week was particularly bad. Also, I've gone back a bit and reread passages, which I found extremely helpful. Especially if I've caught myself doing the thing where I read a few pages and later realize that I comprehended very little from those pages and simply went through the motions of moving my eyes back and forth and turning pages (with the appropriate amount of thumb licking, of course).

Yeah, I reread those parts. It turns out, some of them were crucially important, especially in light of the things I learned later. I guess I wasn't supposed to understand a lot of it the first time through. But I love that non-linear aspect of the book, I love having the world slowly revealed, and I even love the fact that revelation is necessary in the first place is slowly revealed.

• Like 1

The Art of Intelligence: Lessons from a Life in the CIA's Clandestine Service by Henry Crumpton

I just finished, it's a quick read. Crumpton is a lifelong spy, and organized and led the CIA's missions in Afghanistan, directly following 9/11.

I would say 40-60% of the book is general career stuff, which I enjoyed. I wasn't looking for a book detailing the specific military incursions, I'm more interested in how a guy like that sees his job, and general modern spycraft.

Worth a trip to the library.

• 1 month later...

Okay, screw it.

I started Infinite Jest last week (for the second time). But this time I have much more resolve. I'm already 250 pages in, and I have decent momentum.

Done and done. Man, that was epic.

• Like 2

A year from now, maybe two, you'll think about something in the book and decide it would be worth re-reading. You'll start and get distracted by something else and since you know what happens, you'll put it down for a few months and then come back to it. No telling how many times you'll actually reread the entire book. I suggest finding a good spot in your apt for the book and your two favorite bookmarks since it's going to be with you for the rest...of...your...life.

• Like 1

Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed

Cheryl Strayed has written an advice column for therumpus.net called "Dear Sugar." She's also written a couple of memoirs, one of which just got its movie rights sold (Wild).

I don't read The Rumpus, but I had heard really good things about her writing. I really liked it a lot. By the middle of the book, I felt like I understood who she is, and her voice is compelling and empathetic. She talks about productivity, creativity, and her own personal background.

I'll be reading Wild.

I'll be

• 1 month later...

This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz

This is a novel of short stories that all follow the life and loves of Yunior. The author and narrator are both from the Dominican Republic, and emigrated to New Jersey.

This book is funny and immediate. It was an easy read, and makes me want to read more higher quality writing.

I have no clue what to read now.

Just finished The Passage. It was ok. Started off great and then fell flat on its face for about 200 pages then picked up again. The sequel is ridic priced for kindle do I am going to hold off on it. Or get it at the library.

Before I started that I was reading book 10 of wheel of time. My god that book is horrible. I got back into it yesterday and I want to gouge my eyes out. I guess I could find some cliff notes and move onto book 11. But Im such a completionist with stuff like books and TV.

I have three unread books on my kindle, Way of Kings, the Hero's, and Wind Thriugh the Keyhole. Hate to start wok since its book one of large series and last I saw he was only 4x% done with writing book 2. Hero's might be ok. Keyhole is set between books 4 and 5 of the dark tower series. I think I want to read it when I retread the series but not ready to do so. Or maybe I am. Hmmmmm.

I have no clue what to read now.

Just finished The Passage. It was ok. Started off great and then fell flat on its face for about 200 pages then picked up again. The sequel is ridic priced for kindle do I am going to hold off on it. Or get it at the library.

Before I started that I was reading book 10 of wheel of time. My god that book is horrible. I got back into it yesterday and I want to gouge my eyes out. I guess I could find some cliff notes and move onto book 11. But Im such a completionist with stuff like books and TV.

I have three unread books on my kindle, Way of Kings, the Hero's, and Wind Thriugh the Keyhole. Hate to start wok since its book one of large series and last I saw he was only 4x% done with writing book 2. Hero's might be ok. Keyhole is set between books 4 and 5 of the dark tower series. I think I want to read it when I retread the series but not ready to do so. Or maybe I am. Hmmmmm.

Way of Kings is pretty awesome and worth reading even as a standalone.

I would also recommend a book I recently read Called "Blood song" by anthony Ryan. It is an e-book only, and while it takes a few chapters to get used to the writing style, it instantly goes up near the top of my favourite fantasy books list.

I'm plowing through Cloud Atlas, about 40% of the way in. Bit of a dry start, but gets interesting, and the second half will hopefully tie lots of things together. Good potential up to this point.

• 8 months later...

I just read the first book of Monument 14 and I liked it a lot.

Its about a bunch of kids in different grades on a school bus that gets caught in a massive hail storm that crashes in to a retail superstore. They essentially take refuge in the store, locking themselve in and then a massive chemical explosion or leak happens that contaminates the outside air. Depending on your blood type, you either become become psycho and want to attack everyone (think 28 days later style) or your skins blisters and then you die, otherwise you're immune. The setting is really good and the story and character building gets better as you read along. I'm going to give the sequel a shot.

• 1 month later...

Monument 14 #2

So I finished up the second book. It was much faster pace and more exciting than the first, in my mind it was a better read. At first I didn't like the unorthodox back and forth style (hard to explain without spoilers) but the pacing and suspense made up for it. The 3rd installment is due for release in spring. I've read there is a movie script in the works now for it as well, this would make a pretty good movie although being that its kids involved I don't see it targeting adults as much as teens.

Variant by Robison Wells - I picked this up on the weekend and so far I'm 50 pages in and loving it.

Benson Fisher thought that a scholarship to Maxfield Academy would be the ticket out of his dead-end life.

He was wrong.

Now he’s trapped in a school that’s surrounded by a razor-wire fence. A school where video cameras monitor his every move. Where there are no adults. Where the kids have split into groups in order to survive.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Variant last night. It was pretty quick read, I really liked it. It ended on a hanger for book #2 but I've read nothing but bad reviews about it so I might skip it and move on.

• 4 months later...

I finally started reading Moneyball yesterday. I'm about halfway through and so far it's great. I'm really happy I'm finally reading it.

It's fun to insta lookup all the players they talk about to see how they panned out, something I couldn't have done in 2004 when this book came out.

I finished 12 Years A Slave this week also. It was super fantastic. Highly recommended.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Words of Radiance was great. First half was a bit slow, second half was amazing.

Words of Radiance spoiler

I really liked it overall, but two things really pissed me off. 1) The Shallan flashbacks. There was so much fluff in those sections. I realize that Sanderson is trying to paint the picture of why Shallan is the way she is, but jfc the first 6 chapters of the Shallan flashbacks were all exactly the same with her dad going crazy, her being scared, and the brothers being pissed but not doing anything.

2)Eshonai. I actually really liked getting a glimpse into the world of the parshendi's, but they made her into this extreme badass voidbringer, and in the climax of the book she just gets shoved off a cliff and it's all over in one page? Especially after we read about Shallan and Kaladin surviving their cliff falls?

I thought the battle between Kaladin and the assassin in white was badass

I agree the Shallan flashbacks were lame. Now that you mention it, Eshonai's death was kinda lame too, and overall the Alethi victory and Parshendi defeat was kind of understated at the end, but I think it got lost in how awesome that entire 100ish-page section was with the lead-up to the battle, and the attempted Assasination of the King, to Kaladin regaining his powers, to the battle with the Assassin. I really want to jump back into that world. I don't want to wait another 2 years for the next book.