What Books Are You Guys Reading?

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole - Cult classic, absolutely brilliant, hilarious and incisive. New favourite
The backstory to that book (as well as JKTs brief life in general) is fascinating. If you haven't looked into it, it's worth it. It took years of persistence by his insanely overbearing mother to get it published. It really makes you wonder what sort of epic literary genius has slipped through the cracks unnoticed because they were either too innovative (and thus disregarded by pathetic publishing-house gatekeepers), too 'outside' or just not savvy and/or dedicated enough to break into the commercial world.
  • Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's fun to look up that race and see how they all turned out.

I finally started reading Moneyball yesterday. I'm about halfway through and so far it's great. I'm really happy I'm finally reading it.   It's fun to insta lookup all the players they talk about

Done and done. Man, that was epic.

The backstory to that book (as well as JKTs brief life in general) is fascinating. If you haven't looked into it, it's worth it. It took years of persistence by his insanely overbearing mother to get it published. It really makes you wonder what sort of epic literary genius has slipped through the cracks unnoticed because they were either too innovative (and thus disregarded by pathetic publishing-house gatekeepers), too 'outside' or just not savvy and/or dedicated enough to break into the commercial world.
Yeah I know the backstory. It is pretty sad to imagine what more could have come from the guy. I plan to read Neon Bible too but don't expect it to be nearly as good.
  • 2 weeks later...

So I decided I have to give this reading thing another shot. I went to chapters but had no idea what to get, I find it very hard to book shop based on a cover and the back page without reading reviews first. I remembered The Road was a bestseller and I enjoyed the movie - so I grabbed that. Even though I knew the storyline quite well it was still engaging and I finished it in about a week. Which is a super-mini accomplishment for someone who doesn't read very much.Anyway, while I was happy to finish reading a book, I was depressed because the ending seemed so much more sad than the movie. So I need a new book, but one with a much less depressing ending. I think I'd enjoy another good thriller because when scenes tend to get a bit scary it engages me more than pure dialogue. Would a Stephen King book be recommended or perhaps a different Cormac McCarthy one?

So I decided I have to give this reading thing another shot. I went to chapters but had no idea what to get, I find it very hard to book shop based on a cover and the back page without reading reviews first. I remembered The Road was a bestseller and I enjoyed the movie - so I grabbed that. Even though I knew the storyline quite well it was still engaging and I finished it in about a week. Which is a super-mini accomplishment for someone who doesn't read very much.Anyway, while I was happy to finish reading a book, I was depressed because the ending seemed so much more sad than the movie. So I need a new book, but one with a much less depressing ending. I think I'd enjoy another good thriller because when scenes tend to get a bit scary it engages me more than pure dialogue. Would a Stephen King book be recommended or perhaps a different Cormac McCarthy one?
you need to read more cormac mccarthy, sad endings be damned.

Gov, Tom Clancy is a good read. You don't have to start with Hunt for Red October to stay on the timeline. If you enjoy his writing and stories, you'll go back and read the earlier ones anyway. I'd probably start with Executive Orders or Rainbow Six and go from there. Your local library will have these readily available in hardback.

Anyone ever read Cloud Atlas?I read this book 5 or 6 years ago. Yesterday I was thinking about some of the stories and remembered how great this book is(was?). I may have to do a re-reading at some point.

I'd probably start with Executive Orders or Rainbow Six and go from there. Your local library will have these readily available in hardback.
I haven't read that much Clancy, but the book that precedes Executive Orders (Debt of Honor) was great. Doesn't EO pretty much pick up right where DOH ends? Do all the Jack Ryan books string together like that?

I guess it does but

the ending is kind of too real in a fiction to real life kind of way and he didn't want to be depressed.

he catches people up really well without being intrusive to the current book. I don't think the timelines are as important in the Jack Ryan story's because he jumps around from novel to novel anyway. You're right though, these two do go together in a pretty important way. Maybe Executive Orders isn't the best book to start with. Rainbow Six then. Read that and see what you think.

I tried reading a tom clancy book a year or two ago (I think it was Rainbow Six) but I wasn't putting in enough time to read it through and I just wasn't engaged.I've done a lot more searching and I think some books from Suzanne Collins might fit the bill. What about The Hunger Games or the Underland Chronicles?

I tried reading a tom clancy book a year or two ago (I think it was Rainbow Six) but I wasn't putting in enough time to read it through and I just wasn't engaged.I've done a lot more searching and I think some books from Suzanne Collins might fit the bill. What about The Hunger Games or the Underland Chronicles?
My suggestions:11/22/63 by Stephen KingHunger Games is decent and an easy read. I can't even remember how it ended. I would say book 1 is great. Book 2 starts off slow and the gets great and I can't ever remember book 3.Terror by Dan Simmons. Just read this and loved it. Pillars of Earth by Ken FollettEye of the Needle by Ken FollettAnd for kicks, just start reading the Game of the Thrones and the other 4 books in the series.
I think I'd enjoy another good thriller because when scenes tend to get a bit scary it engages me more than pure dialogue.
Here:
Anybody here read these books?Yeah, so anyway, if you like science fiction action thrillers, these are pretty great. Once I started reading them, I couldn't put them down.
Here:
I might start those next. Went with Anthony Bourdain's Medium Raw first. It's...not as good as Kitchen Confidential, and long winded about a few subjects, but still pretty enjoyable, if you like that sort of thing.

Just finished the Tommyknockers. Yikes, that was bad. Oh well, I can't win them all. Have no idea what to tackle next.On my Kindle I have:Heroes by Joe AbercrombieWay of the Kings by SandersonEye of the World by JordanGardens of the Moon Book One of the Malazan Book of the FallenNightmares and Dreamscapes by KingCarrion Comfort by Dan Simmons

Here:
Thank you. I've checked out pretty much all the books suggested and while they all sound great on their own I think I'm going to start with The Breach. I've read the first few pages online and I'm already getting hooked.Cheers
Thank you. I've checked out pretty much all the books suggested and while they all sound great on their own I think I'm going to start with The Breach. I've read the first few pages online and I'm already getting hooked.Cheers
Yeah, you need to start with that one. It's the first in a trilogy that all mostly tie together.

After hearing about it for so long and with the movie coming out soon, I finally bought The Hunger Games on Friday and had it done by last night. It was very good and very easy to read (aprox 350 pages). I'm looking forward to picking up the rest of the series.

Finished The Breach last night. (one of the 3 DJ recommended). I liked it. Real page turner. Already cruising now through the second book.
Call me slow, I'm only half way through it but I'm liking it. Just need a couple longer sittings to burn through it.
Call me slow, I'm only half way through it but I'm liking it. Just need a couple longer sittings to burn through it.
Don't feel rushed by Steve, he's already mentioned he reads about 150 pages a day at work, or something.I started it last night. Looking forward to see where it goes.
Don't feel rushed by Steve, he's already mentioned he reads about 150 pages a day at work, or something.I started it last night. Looking forward to see where it goes.
Yeah I have way too much free time. I downloaded the sample of Breach Sat night and read it. It was about 28 pages. Bought it then went to sleep. Got up Sunday and laid in bed reading and next thing I knew it was noon and I was like on page 140. Got to work yesterday and read till about page 278 I think then finished it when I got home later that night after Liz went to bed. I bought Ghost Country directly after that around 2AM and read for another half hour. Got to work and have been busy but I am on page 159. LOL. This one is better than the first so far.
  • 1 month later...

Recently read the first 2 Hunger Games books. Quick reads, reasonably entertaining. But overall pretty forgettable. I'll probably read the third book sometime in the future. Unlike The Harry potter books, I was very aware of how young the target audience was, as I was reading the books. I also thought the 'relationships' were horribly written in general.Also recently finished The winter King by Bernard Cornwall. It was a little slow to get going, but I really enjoyed it. Kind of my first dive into historical fiction. I've picked up book 2 and 3 from the Arthur trilogy, will read them pretty soon.Based on recomendations in this thread, I've started reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderosn. I'm only 200 pages in but really loving it so far. i can see myself powering through the 1000 pages really quickly.Based on DJ Vu's recommendation, I've also picked up the 3 Patrick Lee Novels: breach, Deep Sky and Ghost Country. I will read them next, after The Way of Kings.