What Books Are You Guys Reading?

Also Reek = Theon, it's not been a secret. The chapter that leaked a while ago made it pretty clear.
this has to be spoiler taged. I didn't know and didn't want to know.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's fun to look up that race and see how they all turned out.

I finally started reading Moneyball yesterday. I'm about halfway through and so far it's great. I'm really happy I'm finally reading it.   It's fun to insta lookup all the players they talk about

Done and done. Man, that was epic.

I need to waste some time at work.Books Steve Read in 2011 (with possible mini-review/thoughts)1. The Shining - Stephen King 5/10I expected more. I never saw the movie(s) but heard how this was one of his greatest books. It was entertaining enough to finish but pales in comparison to anything in the Dark Tower series and The Stand.2. Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King 8/10I really enjoyed these three short stories. Less on the supernatural and more on the harsh side of things. Murder, etc. Highly recommend them.3. Game of Thrones - GRRM 8/10My first foray into the world of fantasy. Never been into fantasy and was recommended that I read this asap back on (checking kindle orders) Jan 2 2011. Started off meh but then I couldn't put the thing down. Had no clue what I was getting into and immediately bought the 2nd book after finishing.4. A Clash of Kings 8.5/10 This book picked up where GoT left off so it was easier to get hooked. 2nd best book in the series imo.5. Storm of Swords 10/10I loved this book. A lot. Best book in the series by far. I am hoping that book 6 has been set up to compete with it's awesomeness.6. A Feast for Crows 6/10Bog step down. First 35% I remember taking me weeks to get through. Just didn't grab me. Then it did and I read to about 75% in a day. 7. A Dance with Dragons 6/10I enjoyed it for the most part, especially the Theon and Arya chapters. I think it set up book 6 to be epic but that remains to be seen. 8. The Name of the Wind : Kingkiller Chronicle Day One - Patrick Rothfuss 8/10My second foray into the world of fantasy series. Really enjoyed this book. Reminds me a little of Harry Potter but for adults. 9. The Wise Man's Fear : Kingkiller Chronicle Day Two 7.5/10 Had some really slow parts in it but overall a great story. Looking forward to Day Three which might be out next year.10. The Girl w/ The Dragon Tattoo -Stieg Larsson 7/10I stayed away from these books a few times but enough people convinced me to give them a try. So I read all three in like 2 weeks back in April. Entertaining page turners but that is about it.11. The Girl Who Played w/ Fire 7/1012. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest 7/1013. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins 8/10Nothing grand in the way of writing but fun stories. It is allegedly Young Adult but a friends 13 year old just finished this and told her parents that she though it was inappropriate for her. Haha. Good page turner, kind of grim though.14. Catching Fire Book 2 of Hunger Games 7/10Not as good as the first but with the way book 1 ends you have to find out what happens. The last 40% is pretty juicy in the page turning department.15. Mockingjay Book 3 of the Hunger Games 6/10Meh, First one was def the hit. This one was pretty much meh, but again, she ends book 2 in a way that if you are remotely hooked you need to find out what happens next. So good marketing, poor writing. 16. Night Shift - Stephen King - 6/10Older collection of short stories. I read this in between other books over the year. I enjoy his short stories so you know...Currently Reading:17. The Magician's - Lev GrossmanOnly 56 pages in but enjoying it. Again, came highly recommended by people who have yet to steer me wrong. I think prior to 2011 I read maybe 10 books in the last 10 years. Kindle's fault imo ,

• 2 weeks later...
Just finished reading the first fantasy book I've read in a few years: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.Incredibly good. One of the most captivating fantasy books I have ever read. Be prepared to forgo all other activities while reading it. It grabs you that hard.
Wow what a great book! I really like all of the characters. The only thing I didn't understand:

The interludes. I get that Szeth is an important character and he was in all the interludes. But are we supposed to remember those other characters that they introduced for 10 pages, but were not mentioned again in a 1000 page book. I hope not.

So that is what, the new series? So only one book of ten is out? I almost picked it up but was hoping more than one book was out.I think I might get the Locke of Lamora or something or other.

So that is what, the new series? So only one book of ten is out? I almost picked it up but was hoping more than one book was out.I think I might get the Locke of Lamora or something or other.
A lot of people have been talking about it. So yes, I think it is a great new series. The 1st book is pretty stand outish, so I would recommend reading it even though there are a bunch of sequels yet to come out.I've been meaning to read Locke Lamora for a long time. I have the book, but I got a kindle soon after, and I only want to read things on my kindle. It would be dumb to buy the book, then buy it on a kindle, but I only want to read on my kindle, so I haven't read it yet. If that makes sense.
A lot of people have been talking about it. So yes, I think it is a great new series. The 1st book is pretty stand outish, so I would recommend reading it even though there are a bunch of sequels yet to come out.I've been meaning to read Locke Lamora for a long time. I have the book, but I got a kindle soon after, and I only want to read things on my kindle. It would be dumb to buy the book, then buy it on a kindle, but I only want to read on my kindle, so I haven't read it yet. If that makes sense.
Cool, I will check it out.Not to crazy. My wife had my kindle because she was reading DwD and I didn't think it smart to buy it for her kindle as well. So I bought Magicians in actual book form and have been reading that. But I can't read it in bed because I have no light so I needed to buy a book for my kindle, now that she has returned it, so I can read at night.I have no clue how I ever read in bed before I got my kindle. Oh yeah, I never read in bed before my kindle.

Finished The Magicians by Lev Grossman.Don't really know what I thought. I see what he is doing but I don't know if it really worked and didn't seem a bit forced. It's like a depressing adult Harry Potter. Hell he even attempts to make Harry Potter jokes in the book.

One thing I'm confused with at the wall in Dance:

They keep making a differentation between the king's men and the queen's men at the wall. I assume the king's men belong to Stannis. Who are the queen's men? Cersei's? Val's?

how could you possibly have missed this? it's not even important, in the grand scheme, but still, it's just astonishing.
how could you possibly have missed this? it's not even important, in the grand scheme, but still, it's just astonishing.
I hadn't read the first four books in a long time prior to reading book 5. I also asked this after reading only a small portion of book 5. I would have figured it out after reading a little bit longer... I think. But yeah in the whole scheme of things not a big deal at all. I'm glad my stupidity astonishes you.
i just have to wonder what else you missed, or misunderstood. it's worrysome to me.
TBH I had no idea what was going on in the Arya chapters until someone here mentioned

she was learning to warg

I had to go back and re-read it, now I get it.

I've been meaning to read Locke Lamora for a long time. I have the book, but I got a kindle soon after, and I only want to read things on my kindle. It would be dumb to buy the book, then buy it on a kindle, but I only want to read on my kindle, so I haven't read it yet. If that makes sense.
Just finished it this afternoon. Really enjoyed it. Already bought the 2nd one of the series last night and will begin that in a few minutes. Love the characters and the cons are pretty enjoyable to read about.
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up the first book of the Mistborn Trilogy on kindle since it was on sale for $2.99. Figured it if sucks then I am only out $3. Halfway through and I already bought books 2 and 3. Wow, I am surprised but this book is pretty good. Definitely going to get Way of the Kings after since I really like his writing.

Lone Survivor, by Marcus Luttrell. Absolutely incredible story, and written by a liberal-hating, super-conservative Navy SEAL. My point in mentioning that is just to say that it didn't bother me; politics aside, it's an incredibly inspiring and intriguing (and of course, true) story.
  • 1 month later...

The Hunger Games. I decided to read this after seeing a lot of hype about the movie. This was a quick entertaining read and I plan on reading the two sequels. I just don't understand how the author doesn't get sued, it seems like a ripoff of Battle Royale. (edit) I browsed the wikipedia of the book to see if it said anything about Battle Royale, and it says that there has been controversy because of the similarities. The author of The Hunger Games said that she had not heard of Battle Royale until people started making comparisons.I still was entertained with the book anyways. I'm just suprised that there wasn't anyone with the publishing company that made mention of it being almost the same as Battle Royale.

Anyone read William Gibson before?Kind of weird stuff, but pretty cool.
I like William Gibson well enough, but I really have a lit-crush on Neal Stephenson. Cryptonomicon is one of the best books I've read: funny, interesting, multi-layered and I actually learnind a lot from it. I recently picked up Anathem, same author.
The Hunger Games. I decided to read this after seeing a lot of hype about the movie. This was a quick entertaining read and I plan on reading the two sequels. I just don't understand how the author doesn't get sued, it seems like a ripoff of Battle Royale. (edit) I browsed the wikipedia of the book to see if it said anything about Battle Royale, and it says that there has been controversy because of the similarities. The author of The Hunger Games said that she had not heard of Battle Royale until people started making comparisons.I still was entertained with the book anyways. I'm just suprised that there wasn't anyone with the publishing company that made mention of it being almost the same as Battle Royale.
Easy reads. Loved the 1st one, loved the second half of the second one, honestly can't remember anything about the 3rd one. Ooops. Just finished Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. I think I liked it. Definitely comes off as someone who just read GoT and decided he could write something too. But I loved some of the characters. Will look into Best Served Cold and Hero's which are two stand alones in the same universe.Now I started 11/22/63 by King.
I like William Gibson well enough, but I really have a lit-crush on Neal Stephenson. Cryptonomicon is one of the best books I've read: funny, interesting, multi-layered and I actually learnind a lot from it. I recently picked up Anathem, same author.
I bought Cryptonomicon a couple weeks ago but getting through it is proving difficult...it's hard to get into. I'm on like page 160 of 5500 or so (e-book on iPhone). Very slow paced, hoping it will pick up sooner rather than later.
Anyone read William Gibson before?Kind of weird stuff, but pretty cool.
I've read and enjoyed Gibson, but I don't have the patience for his writing style anymore.
  • 4 weeks later...

So what books did you guys read this year? This is my list plus the one I should finish tomorrow or so.1. The Shining - Stephen King 2. Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King 3. Game of Thrones - GRRM 4. A Clash of Kings 5. Storm of Swords 6. A Feast for Crows 7. A Dance with Dragons 8. The Name of the Wind : Kingkiller Chronicle Day One - Patrick Rothfuss 9. The Wise Man's Fear : Kingkiller Chronicle Day Two 10. The Girl w/ The Dragon Tattoo -Stieg Larsson 11. The Girl Who Played w/ Fire 12. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest 13. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins 14. Catching Fire Book 2 of Hunger Games 15. Mockingjay Book 3 of the Hunger Games 16. Night Shift - Stephen King - 17. The Magician's - Lev Grossman18. The Lies of Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard Sequence) - Scott Lynch19. Red Seas Under Red Skies (The Gentleman Bastard Sequence) - Scott Lynch20. Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, Book 1) - Brandon Sanderson21. The Well of Ascension: Book two of Mistborn22. The Hero of Ages: Book Three of Mistborn23. The Blade Itself: The First Law: Book One (First Law 1) - Joe Abercrombie24. Before They Are Hanged: The First Law: Book Two (First Law 2)25. Last Argument Of Kings: The First Law: Book Three (First Law 3)26. 11/22/63 - Stephen King27. It - Stephen King28 - The Strain (Stain Trilogy) - Chuck Hogan & Guillermo Del Toro29 - The Fall: Book Two of the Strain Trilogy (currently reading)

I read dissapointingly few books this year.off the top of my head:1. Girl/tatto2. Girl/fire3. girl/hornet's nest4. Dance with dragons5. Fall of giants - Ken follett6. Some john Grisham book (his latest)7. The Winter King - bernard Cornwall (currently reading)I think that's it... There are probably a few more I am forgetting about.Here's to reading more in 2012!

I bought Cryptonomicon a couple weeks ago but getting through it is proving difficult...it's hard to get into. I'm on like page 160 of 5500 or so (e-book on iPhone). Very slow paced, hoping it will pick up sooner rather than later.
Patience and persistence is the key. TV and other media have taught us to be way more "instant gratification" oriented than most of us realise. Many, many payoffs to come and you'll probably find yourself using some of the info you learn from the book in conversations that have nothing to do with the book.Additional note: I also get really bogged down with massive books like this, but I recommended this one because I found it higly entertaining. I hope you will also...It took me months to get throuh the 1st volume of his System of the World trilogy and I haven't yet tried to start vol.2

I hate reading for the most part, but am enthralled in The Hunger Game series. Knocked out The Hunger Games pretty quick and about 6 chapters in to Catch Fire. Great read, even for those that don't like to read.