What Books Are You Guys Reading?

Dance with Dragons is out today. I'll probably download the eBook when I get home from work.
I had hoped to be done with Book 4 by today but I am only a couple hundred pages into Feast for Crows. Stupid work and such.
  • Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's fun to look up that race and see how they all turned out.

I finally started reading Moneyball yesterday. I'm about halfway through and so far it's great. I'm really happy I'm finally reading it.   It's fun to insta lookup all the players they talk about

Done and done. Man, that was epic.

Just finished Hunger Games last night and now reading Dance with Dragons.
I'm sure you'll be finished the book before I'm done the first chapter, so let me know how you like it!

what a coincedence I'm reading Dance also!I didn't re-read any of the first 4 so that could be a problem with remembering stuff. I don't have time to re-read 1000 page books lol

what a coincedence I'm reading Dance also!I didn't re-read any of the first 4 so that could be a problem with remembering stuff. I don't have time to re-read 1000 page books lol
If you check the Tower of the Hand website they have nice chapter summaries over viewing every chapter of each book. Makes for quick catchup.

I read all 4 books between Jan and May so I am somewhat fresh but as I have read today i did go back and read the last chapters of Bran,Jon, Dany and Tyrion in book 3 and that helped get me back where I needed to be.

I was amazed and lucky enough that the library has it on audio, which judging by the size will take almost a month! Yikes!Just read the latest Harlen Coben book with Myron Bolitar and they are really an excellent fun series. I'm now reading a David Rosenfelt mystery, which is also another funny author though this one is a serious compared to the Andy Carpenter series, but still good. Also listening do a book by Douglas Preston and Lee Child, Gideon's Sword which is kind of out there but okay and entertaining if you suspend belief in the details.
Hey RTB, if you like the Myron Bolitar and Andy Carpenter series, you will most likely love the Donovan Creed series by John Locke. The only problem is that series is only on Kindle, but the good news is the books are only 99 cents each.. I got the Kindle app on my Ipod Touch and ate all 6 or 7 or 8 of those books up within a few weeks. If you are able to read them, let me know what you think.

Just finished Money Ball by Michael Lewis. I really liked it. I'm a lifelong sports fan, but I find my eyes glazing over when there's a lot of stats talk, or discussion of the salary cap. I think I followed most of the important points of the book.

Just finished Money Ball by Michael Lewis. I really liked it. I'm a lifelong sports fan, but I find my eyes glazing over when there's a lot of stats talk, or discussion of the salary cap. I think I followed most of the important points of the book.
Wait til you see the movie starring Brad Pitt!
For those reading Dance with the Dragons: (and at least 20% in)

I am assuming Reek is not Reek but instead Theon Greyjoy. If so, interesting.

I just read this chapter and I'm 99% sure your assumption is correct.I need more Arya!
For those reading Dance with the Dragons: (and at least 20% in)

I am assuming Reek is not Reek but instead Theon Greyjoy. If so, interesting.

Yes, that's correct. Although I'm not quite there yet, the first Reek chapter was one of the 4 released over the last couple years. Don't mess with the Boltons.
If you liked it, definitely check out the The Extra 2% by Jonah Keri. Just released a few months ago, its a similar look at how Tampa managed to become a winning franchise following similar ideas. It's not too stats based, more ideas-based.
I just read this chapter and I'm 99% sure your assumption is correct.I need more Arya!
Arya pops up in the last third of the book, once ADWD catches up to where AFFC left off.
My wife is reading book 3 and I looked to see where she was at and it was Catelyn talking to Roose Bolton at the "wedding" talking about how Ramsay had Theon. I guess I forgot about that part. Even talks about a flayed finger.
Into Thin Air
I really liked Into Thin Air. I've also read and enjoyed Into the Wild and Under the Banner of Heaven.
Wait til you see the movie starring Brad Pitt!
Yeah, there seems to be some excitement about that trailer. I think the trailer was just alright, and usually I like Pitt best in a supporting role. Either he's a little too bland for me, or he relaxes and makes different choices when he's not trying to deliver a $20m weekend.The book I read does not seem that cinematic. It's mostly about reevaluating the collection of old data, and mapping out different types of questions and points for later systemic action. This is not really sexy to film. Sure, the book spotlights individual players here and there to prove a point, but Billy Beane keeps screaming about valuing a player from watching him play. The valuation (Beane style) should take place on spread sheets.I'll still probably see the movie. I'm dong pretty well in my 2011 goal in seeing fewer movies, but I'm a sucker for sports movies.

One thing I'm confused with at the wall in Dance:

They keep making a differentation between the king's men and the queen's men at the wall. I assume the king's men belong to Stannis. Who are the queen's men? Cersei's? Val's?

One thing I'm confused with at the wall in Dance:

They keep making a differentation between the king's men and the queen's men at the wall. I assume the king's men belong to Stannis. Who are the queen's men? Cersei's? Val's?

Missindre (however you spell it)

Almost finished The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. Really enjoying it and am captivated. I'm learning a lot from it about the political history of the Dominican Republic, but he incorporates it through telling the story of different members of one family. His style is very distinctive, using lots of slang and a conversational style which makes it all accessible and funny rather than dry or sentimental. It won the Pulitzer Prize too. Really recommend it.

Also Reek = Theon, it's not been a secret. The chapter that leaked a while ago made it pretty clear.
It would be a secret for anyone who has not read the leaked part. I never knew there was a leaked version of anything so I would still consider it a spoiler for those who didn't want to read anything till the book came out.
It would be a secret for anyone who has not read the leaked part. I never knew there was a leaked version of anything so I would still consider it a spoiler for those who didn't want to read anything till the book came out.
Leaked was the wrong word, it was a preview chapter Martin put out earlier this year. It was the 4th preview chapter he posted to his site at one time or another.
Leaked was the wrong word, it was a preview chapter Martin put out earlier this year. It was the 4th preview chapter he posted to his site at one time or another.
Well it was still a surprise to me and a bunch of friends who waited to read the book and not any of the preview chapters. I would still consider putting spoiler tags on it for those with the patience to wait and be surprised as they read it. *shrugs*

It's definitely a spoiler. I didn't read the preview chapters either. If this was a thread about Martin's website then it wouldn't need a spoiler. This is a what book are you reading thread. Nobody wants to see spoilers about the book they are reading.I'm still trying to decide whether I liked the book or not. There are a lot of parts that I liked, some that I didn't like.

I was bored with reading about the Bolton's, slaves/free companies, Dornish people, Jon Connington, R'hllor, etc. I wanted more of Bran/Arya/Sansa/Jamie. Tyrion still rocks!

I am at 90% in The Name of the Wind. I wasn't liking it for the first 200 pages but then I couldn't put it down.
Finished and loved it.
Hey RTB, if you like the Myron Bolitar and Andy Carpenter series, you will most likely love the Donovan Creed series by John Locke. The only problem is that series is only on Kindle, but the good news is the books are only 99 cents each.. I got the Kindle app on my Ipod Touch and ate all 6 or 7 or 8 of those books up within a few weeks. If you are able to read them, let me know what you think.
No kindle as of yet but it's on my list, thanks!
Almost finished The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. Really enjoying it and am captivated. I'm learning a lot from it about the political history of the Dominican Republic, but he incorporates it through telling the story of different members of one family. His style is very distinctive, using lots of slang and a conversational style which makes it all accessible and funny rather than dry or sentimental. It won the Pulitzer Prize too. Really recommend it.
Thanks for the reco!, it was a downloadable audio from the library and just got it. And I am almost finished withThe Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and it is one of my "highly reccomended books of the year". Just finished,In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson. He's a travel writer that wrote the awesome science book "A short history of nearly everything". Another great book, informative yet LOL funny very often. Just a great writer and unique perspective on life. Also read, The Sign by Raymond Khoury. He's the guy that wrote The Last Templar and The Sanctuary. It's mystery fiction with a twist. It okay to be honest, but givent he other great books I was reading lately probably took away from it. It did have some interesting takes on religon, but a little far fetched.Also reading The Believing Brain by Michael Shermer.