What Books Are You Guys Reading?

I'd recommend the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. ASoIaF was the first real fantasy series that I read, and I read this one right after, and enjoyed it a lot.fyi, there is little to no rape in Fall of giants. A fair bit of sex though.
Wow, I don't know if I can read a Follett novel that doesn't have at least 6 rape scenes!
  • Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's fun to look up that race and see how they all turned out.

I finally started reading Moneyball yesterday. I'm about halfway through and so far it's great. I'm really happy I'm finally reading it.   It's fun to insta lookup all the players they talk about

Done and done. Man, that was epic.

ASoIaF is my first taste in fantasy aside from possibly the Dark Tower series. I don't know which one to read next. I know I want to stay away from the Wheel of Time series because it seems almost universal that at least 5 books in the series are complete filler with nothing going on. I just read the first chapter to the Warden Man last week and I was intrgued and I dl'ed the sample of Name of the Wind. Too many choices plus my wife has two books she really wants me to read.
Read Name of the Wind. I recommended it to Roll the Bones and he really liked it.

try some of the guy gavriel kay books next. he has several one-off fantasy novels (tigana, lions of al-rassan, a song for arbonne), plus a 2-book (the sarantine mosaic) and a 3-book (the fionavar tapestry) series. sometimes it is good to read books/series that you know are finished, so you aren't on the hook waiting year after year for sequels.

Read Name of the Wind. I recommended it to Roll the Bones and he really liked it.
I was thinking of this the other day. Is there another book out yet? I'll have to check. edit-Duh, came out last month!Finished A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson which was fantastic. For the science novice it was fun and very informative. Learned a ton and wanted more.Reading The Tourist (audio), and Life of Pi (on hold until I finish), Bones,Rocks and Stars- The science of when things happen.
I was thinking of this the other day. Is there another book out yet? I'll have to check. edit-Duh, came out last month!
I'm reading the sequel right now. It is a continuation from the first book with him still being at the University at the beginning. I didn't re-read the 1st book so my memory is a little hazy when they refer to past events, but I'm slowly starting to remember stuff.
Finished the second book last night and was planning on reading something else and read the third later but the way it ended I had to immediately purchase the third book. Doh!
And finished with the last book. Good stuff. I enjoyed them. I agree Dave that books 2 and 3 were better than the first one. All in all I am glad I read them.I was never a big reader. In fact I hated reading. I have decided to try and read 12 books this year. I think I will crush that. I have read 8 now and it's May 2nd. Now to start reading all the samples I have in my kindle from the suggestions you find folks have posted above to figure out what I will read next.
  • 3 weeks later...

I finished Wise Man's Fear the sequel to the Name of the Wind. It was a bit draggy at times (1000+ pages), but it was exciting when they finally got to the several different climaxes. I'm not sure how many books there is going to be in this series, but there was absolutely no ending at all so I guess it will just lead into the next book so we have to wait for a few years now lol.I just ordered The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson on my kindle. This is also a 1000+ page book and the author is the same guy who is trying to finish the Wheel of Time series. Sanderson has been in the fantasy game for awhile and has had some negative publicity, but apparently this book is supposed to be excellent according to user and critic reviews that I have read. I got the recommendation from a fantasy site that ranks fantasy books, and the site hasn't failed me with recommending anything not entertaining. This book is ranked #8 on there and was released last year. The only downfall for me is that this is going to be a 10 book series with one book (supposedly) coming out each year.

I finished Wise Man's Fear the sequel to the Name of the Wind. It was a bit draggy at times (1000+ pages), but it was exciting when they finally got to the several different climaxes. I'm not sure how many books there is going to be in this series, but there was absolutely no ending at all so I guess it will just lead into the next book so we have to wait for a few years now lol.I just ordered The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson on my kindle. This is also a 1000+ page book and the author is the same guy who is trying to finish the Wheel of Time series. Sanderson has been in the fantasy game for awhile and has had some negative publicity, but apparently this book is supposed to be excellent according to user and critic reviews that I have read. I got the recommendation from a fantasy site that ranks fantasy books, and the site hasn't failed me with recommending anything not entertaining. This book is ranked #8 on there and was released last year. The only downfall for me is that this is going to be a 10 book series with one book (supposedly) coming out each year.
I am at 90% in The Name of the Wind. I wasn't liking it for the first 200 pages but then I couldn't put it down.

Just finished reading the first fantasy book I've read in a few years: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.Incredibly good. One of the most captivating fantasy books I have ever read. Be prepared to forgo all other activities while reading it. It grabs you that hard.

Just finished reading the first fantasy book I've read in a few years: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.Incredibly good. One of the most captivating fantasy books I have ever read. Be prepared to forgo all other activities while reading it. It grabs you that hard.
yes! I just started it!

I just finished In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex, which is a fascinating historical book about...a tragedy aboard a whaleship called the Essex, in 1820.Herman Melville partially based Moby Dick on the story of the Essex, but Moby Dick ends when the tragedy of the Essex is basically just beginning. The Essex was rammed repeatedly by a sperm whale, which sank it somewhere in the middle of the goddam Pacific Ocean. The route that whaling ships took was incredible - from New England all the way down and around the southern tip of South America (this was before the Panama Canal), and then way way out into the Pacific, thousands of miles off of South America. And then a whale totally sank their asses. It's not really a spoiler to say what happened next, since it occurred almost 200 years ago and the book only leaves you in suspense about the details. Basically the crew boarded the three smaller whale-catching ships, which were better than lifeboats since they were used to harpoon whales and therefore were very seaworthy, and they built some crappy riggings and sails, and salvaged some fresh water and hardtack from the sinking Essex, and so far it's sounding like an interesting shipwreck story or lifeboat story. And I guess that's basically what it is, but what made the Essex famous is that they totally got their cannibalism on. And a few of them eventually made it back to land (after 93 days!) to tell the story. Okay, so they ate some dead guys. But did they also draw lots and kill a man and eat him when they ran out of naturally-dead humans? Why yes they did.

The Wages of Destruction - Adam ToozeBook which charts the economic background to the Nazi regime. Very interesting, as the author has done good research, and challenges some of the previously accepted conclusions about the rise of the Reich.

Just finished The Magic Kingdom by Stanley Elkin about a group of terminally ill children who get given a dream holiday to Disneyland.Now reading Civilwarland in Bad Decline (6 stories and a novella) by George Saunders.Next up is The Ask by Sam Lipsyte.

I'm reading the sequel right now. It is a continuation from the first book with him still being at the University at the beginning. I didn't re-read the 1st book so my memory is a little hazy when they refer to past events, but I'm slowly starting to remember stuff.
I was amazed and lucky enough that the library has it on audio, which judging by the size will take almost a month! Yikes!Just read the latest Harlen Coben book with Myron Bolitar and they are really an excellent fun series. I'm now reading a David Rosenfelt mystery, which is also another funny author though this one is a serious compared to the Andy Carpenter series, but still good. Also listening do a book by Douglas Preston and Lee Child, Gideon's Sword which is kind of out there but okay and entertaining if you suspend belief in the details.
  • 3 weeks later...
Finished A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson which was fantastic. For the science novice it was fun and very informative. Learned a ton and wanted more.
Good reco. Thanks.
  • 2 weeks later...
I am on disc 6 of 37 and it might get "draggy" at some point but I must say the first book all came back and I am loving this one. It's really good writing and he includes a good personal element vs alot of other fantasy type books. Smartly written and great charachters.
I am on disc 6 of 37 and it might get "draggy" at some point but I must say the first book all came back and I am loving this one. It's really good writing and he includes a good personal element vs alot of other fantasy type books. Smartly written and great charachters.
I just finished Wise Men's Fear the other day. It was draggy for a small but early on but I really loved the last 600 pages or so.
  • 3 weeks later...

Currently only about 50 pages into Infinite Jest. I'm not sure I've ever read anything this close to poetry that I didn't find to be overly forced. It's pretty damn impressive.

Currently only about 50 pages into Infinite Jest. I'm not sure I've ever read anything this close to poetry that I didn't find to be overly forced. It's pretty damn impressive.
Oh, to be reading infinite jest the first time. I envy you.