What Books Are You Guys Reading?

currently-The Good Thief (2008)by Hannah Tinti The Lacuna (2009) by Barbara Kingsolverfinished-The Old Testament using along with alot of reference books to go with it.Not sure if I've mentioned these.The Poisonwood Bible (2005) by Barbara Kingsolverexcellent! The Confession (2010) (edit title/settings) by John Grisham and,Edge (2010) by Jeffery Deaverexcellent!The Athena Project by Brad Thor(seems to be going downhill)The Widower's Tale (2010) by Julia Glass(surprise find and really good)The Burning Wire (2010) by Jeffery DeaverLincoln Rhyme: Book 9The Apostle: A Thriller by Brad ThorI think I'm missing a couple as well.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's fun to look up that race and see how they all turned out.

I finally started reading Moneyball yesterday. I'm about halfway through and so far it's great. I'm really happy I'm finally reading it.   It's fun to insta lookup all the players they talk about

Done and done. Man, that was epic.

How was The Confession? I kind of have a soft spot for Grisham, and I usually read his new books, even if he hasn't written a really good book in years. I hadn't even heard he had a new (ish) one till I read your post.

• 2 weeks later...
Dont hold your breath...
July 12th. I'm reading The Extra 2% by Jonah Keri, and also pseudo-accidentally purchased Posnanski's book on the Reds. Couldn't find them anywhere to steal, so they became my first two e-book purchases.Halfway through 2%, if you liked Moneyball then you should probably read this one too. Pretty enjoyable.
Less Than Zero.
WHat did you think? I really enjoyed rules of attraction, but I never got around to Less than zero.I'm reading Sailing to Byzantium right now, about the Byzantine empire's influence on the west, russia and the islamic world. I thought it was going to be a more formal history of the Byzantine empire book, and really it's more anecdotal stories of the influence the empire had on a few individuals and movements in the west ( I'm only through the west portion). I should have gotten a military history book of the Byzantine empire. Live and learn.

D-Day: The Battle For Normandy by Antony Beever.Great book, very comprehensive and fascinating so far. A few of the more interesting things I've learned: Of the 5 beach-fronts they were invading, the allies expected to encounter the toughest resistance at Omaha Beach - it wasn't a surprise. It was however tougher than they expected, because the allied bombers entirely failed to hit any of the German artillery on the beach a few hours earlier. Of course the Americans took Omaha and Utah, while the British took Sword and Gold and the Canadians took Juno, presumably because America fuck yeah. The Americans also landed 1 hour ahead of the other forces, by design.A few other random fascinating things: The allies dropped dummy paratroopers in some areas, to confuse the Germans. These dummies were (awesomely and ridiculously) rigged to explode and catch fire on landing. They also dropped sheets of aluminum, to confuse the German radar into thinking it was airplanes. Also, along with (real) paratroopers they landed real tanks and other heavy artillery, not on parachutes but on manned gliders. Many if not most of those pilots died on landing, but the artillery often survived. They also landed tanks on the beaches (not by glider, of course, but by boat). Most of those tanks did not make it to the shore, but the few that did make it were hugely beneficial, as both artillery and cover.

How was The Confession? I kind of have a soft spot for Grisham, and I usually read his new books, even if he hasn't written a really good book in years. I hadn't even heard he had a new (ish) one till I read your post.
I tend to like all things Grisham, and this was good, but probably not memorable or anything. Guy dying confesses to a murder someone else is on death row for.
I loved Animal Dreams by Kingsolver, and Three Junes by Glass.I had Widower's Tale, but didn't get a chance to read it (library book).
Every 6 months our library has a book fair at a large convention center and books are buck, paperbacks 50 cents. This is my third trip and I'm getting better at it. I skip mysteries since I can get them at the library and don't keep them so I scour for odd and interesting books, or things I'd like to own that I might re-read or reference from time to time. I found 2 Kingsolver novels and about 6 others I had on my list which was pretty cool. The best find was while grabbing a bunch of kids books for my grandkid and came across one by, Bob Dylan. Who knew? It's called Forever Young and it's tons of cartoonish pics with the lyrics to the song. I got it home and started browsing through it and realized that each page had tons of little Dylan trivia hidden in each one. I spent an hour reading and looking at it haha. I also struggle coming up with audiobooks though and it's hard to find good stuff available at my library which are free and I go through about 4 a month. I'm too cheap to pay Audible $50 bucks or so a month and can't find torrents either. Well, I have found some torrents but can't figure out how to get them on my MP3 player :club:
I tend to like all things Grisham, and this was good, but probably not memorable or anything. Guy dying confesses to a murder someone else is on death row for.
I actually downloaded it and read it last week after learning it existed (from your post).I concur. An enjoyable page turner, mostly forgettable though. I'll continue to read everything he puts out until they get boring.
I'm reading The Pale King, the new post-humous David Foster Wallace book. I think it is going to be tough-going.
I can imagine, the Old Testament was easier than Infinate Jest.Just finished The Namesake which I really enjoyed.
I'm reading The Pale King, the new post-humous David Foster Wallace book. I think it is going to be tough-going.
Mine should arrive by Friday...How much previous DFW have you read? There's many years of work that went into the book, and it was still very unfinished...This article goes pretty deep into a lot of the circumstances around the book, and I think a lot of his personal story has a pretty big effect on the topic of boredom as a whole. I don't expect to enjoy the Pale King as much as I am ready to learn more about DFW and how his mind worked. Also, if you haven't read "Although of course you end up becoming yourself," you should.
WHat did you think? I really enjoyed rules of attraction, but I never got around to Less than zero.
i liked it. he hadnt mastered his style yet, like he would in AP, but it was good.reading 'The Moral Landscape' right now. but its slow going because of finals.
Mine should arrive by Friday...How much previous DFW have you read? There's many years of work that went into the book, and it was still very unfinished...This article goes pretty deep into a lot of the circumstances around the book, and I think a lot of his personal story has a pretty big effect on the topic of boredom as a whole. I don't expect to enjoy the Pale King as much as I am ready to learn more about DFW and how his mind worked. Also, if you haven't read "Although of course you end up becoming yourself," you should.
Nada. I know the whole backstory about him though. The introduction for the book is very insightful and touching. Mostly though my guy is reading TPK at the same time and he has read almost everything DFW has written so he's filled me in (ah-oo-gah).
I can imagine, the Old Testament was easier than Infinate Jest.Just finished The Namesake which I really enjoyed.
Got about 25 pages in and then realized, "Im dumb".
Just finished reading 'The girl with the Dragon tattoo".I liked it, but it didn't blow me away or anything. There was a lot of buildup, but the payoff was just ok. I think I'll finish this trilogy first, then move on to Fall of Giants by Follett.
Finally broke down and read it. I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Started reading the next one.
Finally broke down and read it. I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Started reading the next one.
Cool, I liked the second and third books a lot more than the first, enjoy.I just read Fall of Giants (Follet) while on vacation. I enjoyed it. Interesting characters and never boring. He moves the story along very quickly. Not as good as Pillars and World without End, but I am still looking forward to the second and third books in the trilogy. I don't know much about WW1, so I found all of the intricacies about how the war started to be pretty interesting.
Cool, I liked the second and third books a lot more than the first, enjoy.I just read Fall of Giants (Follet) while on vacation. I enjoyed it. Interesting characters and never boring. He moves the story along very quickly. Not as good as Pillars and World without End, but I am still looking forward to the second and third books in the trilogy. I don't know much about WW1, so I found all of the intricacies about how the war started to be pretty interesting.
Finished the second book last night and was planning on reading something else and read the third later but the way it ended I had to immediately purchase the third book. Doh!I want to read Fall of Giants. I have heard mixed reviews but I it sounded interesting to me. I expect a ton of rape though. lol

Fantasy stuff:I just finished The Desert Spear which is a sequel to The Warden Man by Peter Brett. The story is written in a POV style like the Song of Ice and Fire series. So at the beginning of each chapter you know which character's point of view you are reading about. I really enjoyed the Desert Spear, its about 630 pages long and I finished it in a couple days. Only complaint was that the climax was kind of weak, but I guess that happens in book series that are drawn out into 5 or 6 books, and this is only book 2. I love the characters though, I hope book 3 comes out soon.I just got A Wise Man's Fear on my kindle by Patrick Rothfuss which is a sequel to The Name of the Wind, which is one of the best fantasy books I've read in awhile. 1000 pages though!

Fantasy stuff:I just finished The Desert Spear which is a sequel to The Warden Man by Peter Brett. The story is written in a POV style like the Song of Ice and Fire series. So at the beginning of each chapter you know which character's point of view you are reading about. I really enjoyed the Desert Spear, its about 630 pages long and I finished it in a couple days. Only complaint was that the climax was kind of weak, but I guess that happens in book series that are drawn out into 5 or 6 books, and this is only book 2. I love the characters though, I hope book 3 comes out soon.I just got A Wise Man's Fear on my kindle by Patrick Rothfuss which is a sequel to The Name of the Wind, which is one of the best fantasy books I've read in awhile. 1000 pages though!
ASoIaF is my first taste in fantasy aside from possibly the Dark Tower series. I don't know which one to read next. I know I want to stay away from the Wheel of Time series because it seems almost universal that at least 5 books in the series are complete filler with nothing going on. I just read the first chapter to the Warden Man last week and I was intrgued and I dl'ed the sample of Name of the Wind. Too many choices plus my wife has two books she really wants me to read.
ASoIaF is my first taste in fantasy aside from possibly the Dark Tower series. I don't know which one to read next. I know I want to stay away from the Wheel of Time series because it seems almost universal that at least 5 books in the series are complete filler with nothing going on. I just read the first chapter to the Warden Man last week and I was intrgued and I dl'ed the sample of Name of the Wind. Too many choices plus my wife has two books she really wants me to read.
I'd recommend the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. ASoIaF was the first real fantasy series that I read, and I read this one right after, and enjoyed it a lot.fyi, there is little to no rape in Fall of giants. A fair bit of sex though.