What Books Are You Guys Reading?

On a King kick for some reason. Under the Dome was fantastic. Couldn't put that thing down. Very Stand like but still different, the type of story I like from him.Duma Key is what I am reading now and I am having a hard time getting through it. Really slow and not doing it for me. With talk of the whole Dark Tower series being a movie/tv series by Ron Howard and Co. I am fighting the urge to start that all over again. Really fighting that urge.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's fun to look up that race and see how they all turned out.

I finally started reading Moneyball yesterday. I'm about halfway through and so far it's great. I'm really happy I'm finally reading it.   It's fun to insta lookup all the players they talk about

Done and done. Man, that was epic.

On a King kick for some reason. Under the Dome was fantastic. Couldn't put that thing down. Very Stand like but still different, the type of story I like from him.Duma Key is what I am reading now and I am having a hard time getting through it. Really slow and not doing it for me. With talk of the whole Dark Tower series being a movie/tv series by Ron Howard and Co. I am fighting the urge to start that all over again. Really fighting that urge.
Parents just got Under the Dome for me for my birthday, I'll be reading it after I finish The Corrections. Somehow I've never read a Stephen King novel. But surgery is on Thursday, so I should be able to bust through a good amount of the new book.
Parents just got Under the Dome for me for my birthday, I'll be reading it after I finish The Corrections. Somehow I've never read a Stephen King novel. But surgery is on Thursday, so I should be able to bust through a good amount of the new book.
I think it will be a decent one for your first King novel. Some are a little slow and just plain bad, like maybe Duma Key, I don't yet, but UtD starts right off and never really quits. Some people complained that it was too intense all the way through but it made for a great page turner.
I just re-read the Bachman Books collection (the four book collection: Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork, and the Running Man. Roadwork is my least favorite of the four, but Rage is awesome, and hard to find, since it is no longer in print. Since it denotes a high school student that takes his class hostage, the post-columbine america decided it was too much for the public. The Long Walk is great too. These are mostly character-driven psychological thrillers, more than horrors, and are a great read.If you haven't read these, check them out before you go back to the Dark Tower series, although that is a great series too.For those physics lovers out there (cause I know we are all closeted physicphiles), "The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow is great so far (I am only about 1/3 of the way through it). Not quite as accessible as "A Briefer History of Time" for the layman, but very, very good.
I just re-read the Bachman Books collection (the four book collection: Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork, and the Running Man. Roadwork is my least favorite of the four, but Rage is awesome, and hard to find, since it is no longer in print. Since it denotes a high school student that takes his class hostage, the post-columbine america decided it was too much for the public. The Long Walk is great too. These are mostly character-driven psychological thrillers, more than horrors, and are a great read.If you haven't read these, check them out before you go back to the Dark Tower series, although that is a great series too.For those physics lovers out there (cause I know we are all closeted physicphiles), "The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow is great so far (I am only about 1/3 of the way through it). Not quite as accessible as "A Briefer History of Time" for the layman, but very, very good.
Yeah I have read those. Long Walk is actually one of my favorite stories of all time. I was actually going through his work to see what I haven't read...Hearts of Atlantis (which I should read since there is a connection to DT in there)Liseys Story (haven't heard great things about this one so I have avoided it)The Eyes of a DragonThe Girl Who Loved Tom GordonThe Colorado KidBlazeBlockade BillyI think only Hearts is the only one I intend to actually read lol.But man is Duma Key dragging. Halfway done though...
Yeah I have read those. Long Walk is actually one of my favorite stories of all time. I was actually going through his work to see what I haven't read...Hearts of Atlantis (which I should read since there is a connection to DT in there)Liseys Story (haven't heard great things about this one so I have avoided it)The Eyes of a DragonThe Girl Who Loved Tom GordonThe Colorado KidBlazeBlockade BillyI think only Hearts is the only one I intend to actually read lol.But man is Duma Key dragging. Halfway done though...
I read the Girl who loved Tom Gordon in Grade 11 or 12 English, its not bad.
  • 1 month later...

I was looking through the books at Costco and found that Ken Follett who wrote Pillars of Earth has a new book out called Fall of Giants. I'm looking forward to reading it. It's a fat book.. the hardback is 985 pages.

I'm definitely ok with paying extra for the hardback to get a larger font, especially for such a long book. Have you read it yet?
I was trying to make a joke about you calling a hardback, while I've only heard hardcover/paperback. I didn't know what page length to pick, but I'm not sure any number would have mattered.

Just finished Talking Heads by Alan Bennett. It's a book of 6 short monologues about everyday type people, just giving a little insight into their worlds, from a frustrated vicar's wife to a housebound widow giving up on life. Very thought-provoking and touchingly written with a good helping of dry humour too.Now reading Big Sur by Jack Kerouac and The Diamond as Big as the Ritz and Other Stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Just finished The Stand. I read it back in the 80's and didn't remember much of it. I remember I had a hard time getting through it but this time I couldn't put it down. What a story. Might need to read the Dark Tower again now.

I'm only about 50 pages in but so far "This is Where I Leave You" by Tropper is one of the funniest books I have ever read.
I read this a couple of months ago, while stuck in various airports. I really enjoyed it, thanks so much for the pointer.
  • 3 weeks later...
I was looking through the books at Costco and found that Ken Follett who wrote Pillars of Earth has a new book out called Fall of Giants. I'm looking forward to reading it. It's a fat book.. the hardback is 985 pages.
I have it but haven't gotten to it yet. I loved Pillars and W w/o End. Two of my favorite books.But, I just read, The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver and it was one of my all time favorite books. Really took me by surprise. Hard core Babtist minister takes his wife and 4 daughters to the Congo. Hilarious, serious, uplifting, etc..