What Books Are You Guys Reading?

Oh, and i've been meaning to give kudos to Harlen Coben and his Myron Bolitar series. The latest book Caught was excellent (though not Myron) it is set in the same town and some characters are the same.
I've read a few of these, I really like them.Right now I'm reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, I highly recommended it for fantasy readers.
  • Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's fun to look up that race and see how they all turned out.

I finally started reading Moneyball yesterday. I'm about halfway through and so far it's great. I'm really happy I'm finally reading it.   It's fun to insta lookup all the players they talk about

Done and done. Man, that was epic.

My wife got me a book she found in Seattle The Croquet PlayerH.G. WellsEnds up it's a first edition, she got it for $5.Interweb says it's Wells' foray into horror story.I'm reading the entire Douglas Adam's series now.Then Best of James HarriotThen I'll read the Wells' book.

I've read a few of these, I really like them.Right now I'm reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, I highly recommended it for fantasy readers.
I'll check that out since I'm needing reading material. I did finish the Ender Wiggin series, yep all 8 books, this year.I just started Jimmy Buffett's a Pirate looks at 50 which is a kinda biography.edit: the library has the Rothfuss book on audio so I just ordered it, 28 discs, yeouch!
Girl With a Dragon TattooI read it in four days, two of which were normal work days for me. I was reading quickly because I wanted to watch the movie. The book is very good, and I'll be reading the next in the series, after I take a little break.I've also started reading the Walking Dead series.
I am reading this as well. My wife bought the first two books and while she was reading them I figured I should read them as well. Bad thing was that while she read GWDT I decided that it wouldn't matter too much if I read The Girl Who Played With Fire. I actually think it makes a little more sense to read the second book first because it explains a lot about who Lisbeth is, however you don't really know about Blomkist. if you read GWDT first then you get to know Blomkist but don't know anything about Lisbeth. I have been trying to figure out if it would have been better to read in order, but I really liked the fact that it kind of didn't matter. I have 100 pages left and then we are going to watch the movie. I am feeling like I will hate the movie because it will be right after I've read the book and generally they have to leave a TON of stuff out.
I'll check that out since I'm needing reading material. I did finish the Ender Wiggin series, yep all 8 books, this year.I just started Jimmy Buffett's a Pirate looks at 50 which is a kinda biography.edit: the library has the Rothfuss book on audio so I just ordered it, 28 discs, yeouch!
its about 700+ pages, it goes by really fast though, especially after the main character starts telling his story. I've had the book for about 3 days and I'm already 450 pages through. It's hard to put down.My favorite part about it is that everything Kvothe can do is explained in full. How did he learn it? why? where?... etc.

Last night I finished Timequake and started on The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. This morning I finished the latter.It's a short book, only about 100 pages, but I couldn't put it down and that's what really made it a fast read. It's a true story, non-fiction, about a Colombian Navy sailor who is thrown overboard accidentally and survives 10 days on a life raft without food or water. It's not literary genius but the story itself is fascinating and Marquez tells it well. I certainly recommend it, but it only lasted me a few hours so don't bother taking it on any long train journeys.

• 2 weeks later...
I am reading this as well. My wife bought the first two books and while she was reading them I figured I should read them as well. Bad thing was that while she read GWDT I decided that it wouldn't matter too much if I read The Girl Who Played With Fire. I actually think it makes a little more sense to read the second book first because it explains a lot about who Lisbeth is, however you don't really know about Blomkist. if you read GWDT first then you get to know Blomkist but don't know anything about Lisbeth. I have been trying to figure out if it would have been better to read in order, but I really liked the fact that it kind of didn't matter. I have 100 pages left and then we are going to watch the movie. I am feeling like I will hate the movie because it will be right after I've read the book and generally they have to leave a TON of stuff out.
Yeah, can't imagine the movie is worth watching and it's in subtitles to boot. Great great books though.Also just ordered this on amazon,litbyfire.jpg
its about 700+ pages, it goes by really fast though, especially after the main character starts telling his story. I've had the book for about 3 days and I'm already 450 pages through. It's hard to put down.My favorite part about it is that everything Kvothe can do is explained in full. How did he learn it? why? where?... etc.
Finishing some Christopher Reich books first, then that on audio.

Hi Guys,Just signed up here and this would be my first post. Hope to meet all of you here.About book, my last one was the book of Robert Kiyosaki and Donald Trump. "Why we want you to be Rich?" . On audiobooks, none yet.thanks for the chance to share.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only about 50 pages in but so far "This is Where I Leave You" by Tropper is one of the funniest books I have ever read. If you want to know what it's like to walk in on your wife cheating on you (who doesn't), Tropper gives it to you in about as much hilarious detail as you could ask. Anybody else read it?

I'm only about 50 pages in but so far "This is Where I Leave You" by Tropper is one of the funniest books I have ever read. If you want to know what it's like to walk in on your wife cheating on you (who doesn't), Tropper gives it to you in about as much hilarious detail as you could ask. Anybody else read it?
I...what?

Haha, that's not all the book is about, but just one of the awkward situations he explains in detail. I was being sarcastic in my post by the way about the (who doesn't) part. Sarcasm doesn't come across real well in typed word. Sorry.

Just started to re read "The Hobbit". It's been well over ten years since I picked it up, so it should be a fun read.
Did you read the Silmarillion?
  • 3 weeks later...
Couldn't remember who recomended this but I am half way through and thoroughly indebted to you. I am halfway through and loving it. I had been reading some serious stuff lately and this was an excellent break, fun and entertaining!
Couldn't remember who recomended this but I am half way through and thoroughly indebted to you. I am halfway through and loving it. I had been reading some serious stuff lately and this was an excellent break, fun and entertaining!
Cool, I'm glad you like it. I can't wait for the sequel.For more fantasy recommendations I'm about 150 pages into The Warded Man by Peter V Brett. So far it is very good.

behind the curve I guess.In the last 3 months, I've read Outliers, The Tipping Point and now Freakonomics. Funny how The Tipping Point and Freakonomics have differing views on the crime drop in NYC in the 90's.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you read the Silmarillion?
I never got around to reading that. I think I tried at some point and became bored with it.Just started "The Last Season" by Eric Blehm. About a backcountry ranger who goes missing. Tells his life story and parallels the search effort. About 150 pages in and hooked. I'm about to do a 6 day backpacking trip and I'm not sure if this is a good read before hand or a bad read. On the good side is that it is really fascinating how much this guy loved the backcountry ... on the other hand, if he can get lost out there and not found ... then ... yeah.
  • 2 weeks later...
I finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy before that. I could learn a lot from his prose style. As a writer, I'm always battling my desire to use a lot of words when fewer would suffice. I think it's a function of my insecurity in my ideas or something. I dunno. Anyway, Cormac McCarthy is the beeeees knees.
I just finished this, and it's certainly well-written, and really immerses you in this world. It's compelling from page to page.My objection is it gets a bit repetitive. OK, I get it, the sky and water is gray I don't need another 50 descriptions.And I didn't think the payoff was worth the repetitiveness. Still, a good book, worth the read.
And I didn't think the payoff was worth the repetitiveness. Still, a good book, worth the read.
por que?

i just read through this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Down-Among-Dead-Me...n/dp/1849010293a woman writes about her first year of working as a mortuary technician. the writing sucks, its chronologically incoherent, and she tosses in all these irrelevant details about her very boring personal life. but...the details of a person more or less randomly one day applying for that job and then just doing it and all the descriptions of what they do and how they deal with what they are doing is fascinating. took me about 5 hours to read the other night, kept my interest where i stayed up until 7 in the morning until i finished it. i would recommend this as good light bedtime/travelling reading.

por que?
What I mean is, while the book was a compelling read, it got repetitive by the end, and it didn't seem to justify the repetitiveness. So the trip was good, just a bit long. I wouldn't have minded the repetition if there was a really big payoff at the end.In other words, 7/10, where a payoff could've made it 10/10.