What Books Are You Guys Reading?

Finished reading the farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb recently. It is the first real genre fantasy series I have read. (not including Lotr and song of ice and fier). I enjoyed it quite a lot. A bit slow to start, but had me mostly riveted for the duration.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's fun to look up that race and see how they all turned out.

I finally started reading Moneyball yesterday. I'm about halfway through and so far it's great. I'm really happy I'm finally reading it.   It's fun to insta lookup all the players they talk about

Done and done. Man, that was epic.

sorry I read this. I am halfway through Ender's Game and it's friggin' fantastic. I did just order the 2nd one though and will surely read them anyway.Finished Ender's Game and starting the 2nd one tonight. Hopefully it's still good. EG was a pretty awesome.
Well, I quite enjoyed Speaker of the Dead as well. Interesting thought he had going on there with regards to the Speaker.

Snowcrash, on my husband's recommendation. I liked it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Empire by Orson Scott Card. I picked this up because I enjoyed Ender's Game but my enthusiasm fizzled with the next 2 in the series. So I thought I'd try a different book by him. It was an enjoyable read but I have mixed feelings about the story. Now I'm starting the Elric of Melnibone series by Michael Moorcock.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, I am starting Infinate Jest tonight. Geez, it's friggin massive, in size that is. It's like holding a concrete block to read. Anyway, footnotes, read as I go or afterwards?
You have to read as you go. Two bookmarks are necessary. And you don't want to rush it through it. The first 1-200 pages might not make a ton of sense, but once you get to know everyone it falls in line pretty quickly.
You have to read as you go. Two bookmarks are necessary. And you don't want to rush it through it. The first 1-200 pages might not make a ton of sense, but once you get to know everyone it falls in line pretty quickly.
Thanks, and I am also on Children of the Mind (4th in the Ender series) on audio book.

Trip to both the public library and the local college library (the public can check out books) yesterday. I have a nasty cold, so I may as well hole up and read for a few days. Checked out:The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret AtwoodOryx and Crake, Margaret AtwoodTristram Shandy, Laurence SterneHamlet Without Hamlet, Margreta de Grazia -- it's about interpretations of the play before post-modern navel-gazing Hamlet took overNarrative and Dramatic Sources of Shakespeare, Geoffrey Bullough -- stuff I'll be focusing on in grad school, may as well get a head startI'm interested in reading more dystopias, especially ones that revolve around genetics, like Handmaid's Tale. You guys read a lot more science fiction than I do ... any suggestions?

Okay, I am starting Infinate Jest tonight. Geez, it's friggin massive, in size that is. It's like holding a concrete block to read. Anyway, footnotes, read as I go or afterwards?
How many pages is that book?I remember it being really big but I was curious. Guess I could go look it up. I wonder cause I just read the entire Dark Tower Series non stop earlier this year and total pages was 4732. Infinite Jest is 1104. But it is bigger than a mass market so probably around 2400. Eh, that's nothing! lol
How many pages is that book?I remember it being really big but I was curious. Guess I could go look it up. I wonder cause I just read the entire Dark Tower Series non stop earlier this year and total pages was 4732. Infinite Jest is 1104. But it is bigger than a mass market so probably around 2400. Eh, that's nothing! lol
The last 100 pages are footnotes which are in smaller font than the rest of the text. And some of those footnotes have footnotes, which are in even smaller text.
I'm interested in reading more dystopias, especially ones that revolve around genetics, like Handmaid's Tale. You guys read a lot more science fiction than I do ... any suggestions?
The road and brave new world spring the mind.
The road and brave new world spring the mind.
I read BNW (and 1984) in high school -- I should definitely revisit them. I'll check out The Road too.Handmaid's Tale was meh -- mostly depressing, sometimes didactic. Began and finished it today, will probably start another tonight after Slings And Arrows on TV.
I read BNW (and 1984) in high school -- I should definitely revisit them. I'll check out The Road too.Handmaid's Tale was meh -- mostly depressing, sometimes didactic. Began and finished it today, will probably start another tonight after Slings And Arrows on TV.
I did a quick search on dystopia, to see if there was something I missed, and there was one by Paul Auster than I want to read "In the country of last things". I haven't read it, but I really liked Auster's new york trilogy, so I think I'm going to check it out..I also read " Dayworld" when I was a kid, and remembered liking it, but I can't swear by it.."SnowCrash", more of a cyberpunk novel, but a really funny and irreverent one. I really don't like the last 1/4th of the novel too much, but hte first 3/4ths are great.

Just read Snowcrash a couple weeks ago. That, and an idea for a story I've got, is what put dystopias in mind.Does anyone else watch Slings and Arrows? Is it worth starting a thread? It's brilliant, but probably far more so if you've ever worked in theatre.

Just read Snowcrash a couple weeks ago. That, and an idea for a story I've got, is what put dystopias in mind.Does anyone else watch Slings and Arrows? Is it worth starting a thread? It's brilliant, but probably far more so if you've ever worked in theatre.
Neuromancer is another cyberpunk dystopia you might enjoy.
  • 2 weeks later...
Trip to both the public library and the local college library (the public can check out books) yesterday. I have a nasty cold, so I may as well hole up and read for a few days. Checked out:The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret AtwoodOryx and Crake, Margaret AtwoodTristram Shandy, Laurence SterneHamlet Without Hamlet, Margreta de Grazia -- it's about interpretations of the play before post-modern navel-gazing Hamlet took overNarrative and Dramatic Sources of Shakespeare, Geoffrey Bullough -- stuff I'll be focusing on in grad school, may as well get a head startI'm interested in reading more dystopias, especially ones that revolve around genetics, like Handmaid's Tale. You guys read a lot more science fiction than I do ... any suggestions?
In a quick scan I saw this as Orgy and Cake, which would probably be a very good book.
  • 2 weeks later...
In a quick scan I saw this as Orgy and Cake, which would probably be a very good book.
Perfect for the misreading thread! And yes, Orgy and Cake does sound like a good book.I really liked Oryx and Crake, much better than Handmaid's Tale. It's twenty years newer, so Atwood's gotten subtler and less strident in her writing. Crake made me think of LLY, though LLY's probably nicer.Finished all those books, so it's time for more, this time probably some from my own bookshelf. When I was researching my book, I read a little over eighty books in six months (which worked out to 3-4 books a week). That was pretty hardcore reading (i.e., eliminating all other leisure activities), but I'm aiming for 50-75 books this year.
I am having a hard time with this book. I usually read before bed and sometimes before work if I have a little time, that's like 2 pages with this book. I often just find myself not messing with it. I probably need to carve out a few hours to do some damage to it. I'm around 110 pages and still don't have a friggin' clue what the hells going on. It's also very tedious writing and I often find myself re-reading lines and text to see if I missed something or if there was anything that might be remotely important about it. The footnotes suck as well. They often are obvious, explaining a medical symptom or something. Others are 6 pages. BTW, there is a massive footnote that's a dozen pages or so, #304 that has been noted already under #304sub. Should I read that whole thing now or wait? Please to god I hope this picks up because I have a stack of books calling my name.

Just finished "Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said" by Philip K. Dick. Man, PKD was so awesome. I think this one was written just before he started to really lose his shit and the book kind of walks that line too... but I guess all his books do that a bit. The plot starts with a famous singer/talk show host waking up to find out that no one recognizes him or even knows that he exists any more.