Tommorow, It Arrives...

StanMusial1948Bowman36RookieCardEX.jpg48 Bowman Musial RC - probably in the PSA 5/6 range. Will send it off immed to SGC for grading. Cannot wait- totally stoked. This was my 'dream card' as a kid. Only a few more Musials to go before I'm complete. Taking every ounce of self control I can muster to not buy this since it's such a screaming deal, but I'm a centering nit and it would annoy me forever. I'll wind up paying twice to three times that for one in that exact same condition only with good centering, so I don't know if that makes me wise for holding out for a better example, or an idiot for not loosening up my standards a bit to take advantage of a fantastic deal. .
StanMusial1948Bowman36RookieCardEX.jpg48 Bowman Musial RC - probably in the PSA 5/6 range. Will send it off immed to SGC for grading. Cannot wait- totally stoked. This was my 'dream card' as a kid. Only a few more Musials to go before I'm complete. Taking every ounce of self control I can muster to not buy this since it's such a screaming deal, but I'm a centering nit and it would annoy me forever. I'll wind up paying twice to three times hat for one in that exact same condition only with good centering, so I don't know if that makes me wise for holding out for a better example, or an idiot for not loosening up my standards a bit to take advantage of a fantastic deal. .
Very nice. My best Musial is a '59, but perhaps I'll pick a nicer one up at the big November show I go to every year.My take is that if it's going to bother you, you should pass on this one. Other deals will come up. Why get something that will rub you the wrong way?
Very nice. My best Musial is a '59, but perhaps I'll pick a nicer one up at the big November show I go to every year.My take is that if it's going to bother you, you should pass on this one. Other deals will come up. Why get something that will rub you the wrong way?
59 Topps Musial is a great, great card. His first topps card ftw.Yeah, I know I can't buy it, even though that is a GREAT deal for someone who isn't a huge centering nit.. IMO even with the centering, that card is higher than a 3. More like a 4- if it were centered right, it would probably make 5/6. It would just drive me batshit crazy and I'd eventually have to get a centered one. I can deal with a soft corner or two, but I cannot tolerate creases, stains/writing or drastic off centering. $200 is a bit too much to pay for a filler, but that is an awfully nice filler.
in Toronto?

It arrived- it's so nice that I'm scared shitless it's a really well executed fake. Thankfully, the seller is a reputable dealer and he and I agreed that the card must pass SGC as being authentic and unaltered (although no guarantees on grade) or I get my money back.I can say this- if this card is what I think it is, I just made a helluvascore. This card should get a 6, I paid for a 4.

• 2 weeks later...
People still collect cards? I've got a few.... actually a lot. Full sets of 88, 89 and 90 Donruss..... unopened.Lots of others.... I should give these away.
In those years- yes. Use them for kindling They were so ridiculously overprinted that they have virtually no value whatsoever. I mean, a few bucks per unopened wax box...
In those years- yes. Use them for kindling They were so ridiculously overprinted that they have virtually no value whatsoever. I mean, a few bucks per unopened wax box...
Yea...my timing was off. They flooded the market those years.

Well, not a huge ZOMGHOORAY but definitely not a let down, either. It's dead-on what I had 'hoped' when I bought it. SGC 60 (EX 5)They shipped it to Chicago and I'm still in Florida, but I'll be home next week and I'll post pics then.

I have 10 packs of unopened Topps 1984..I think I paid 20 dollars for 'em about 5 years ago.. should I just hold onto 'em and stow 'em away to be found in 25 years when they might be worth something? '84 wasn't really a huge year for anyone and like you said, they were 10 of about 1.3 billion packs that were put out that year. I can tell because of the somewhat clear packaging that one is a Reggie Jackson, but that couldn't be worth more than a dollar or two, really.. Your thoughts?

84 is really on the cusp of 'mass production'. That's right about when the sports card mania really hit its stride. People were collecting baseball cards for 'collectibles sake' by that time, Beckett was first published that year, dedicated baseball card shops starting springing up; Topps didn't totally let the presses fly in 84 like they did from 86-92, but they were still produced en masse. There aren't any real big cards from that year; other than Don Mattingly RC which isn't that expensive. Being unopened packs, you obviously stand a chance of pulling a gem mint card- that's a good thing. I'd say just forget about them.

I have 10 packs of unopened Topps 1984..I think I paid 20 dollars for 'em about 5 years ago.. should I just hold onto 'em and stow 'em away to be found in 25 years when they might be worth something? '84 wasn't really a huge year for anyone and like you said, they were 10 of about 1.3 billion packs that were put out that year. I can tell because of the somewhat clear packaging that one is a Reggie Jackson, but that couldn't be worth more than a dollar or two, really.. Your thoughts?
84 Was Gwynn's rookie year I believe...I can't remember who else would be in there. but i like Scrams advice below.
84 Was Gwynn's rookie year I believe...I can't remember who else would be in there. but i like Scrams advice below.
Gywnn, along with Sandberg and Boggs were '83. Very easy to mix '83 and '84 Topps up though - they're very similar. The only other rookies from '84 (base sets) are Strawberry and Van Slyke (and Joe Carter for Donruss), which were a lot more exciting in 1988 than 2008.
  • 4 weeks later...

amscray, i found my willie mccovey rookie card and my autographed rookie barry bonds ball. are those rare finds? i'm guessing yes but i don't mind a second opinion. i'll post up pics tomorrow when i get home from work.

amscray, i found my willie mccovey rookie card and my autographed rookie barry bonds ball. are those rare finds? i'm guessing yes but i don't mind a second opinion. i'll post up pics tomorrow when i get home from work.
Mccovey rookie is nice! bonds autographed ball not so much. I mean it has some value but the autograph market now is pretty well depressed.
They're not "rare" but the bonds is worthwhile...
lol at the 88 Matt Williams Topps card. What is that worth now, $0.50?
yeah, i figured that they were not worth much. more sentimental value. :club: