The New York Rangers

Wasn't just pointing out sabres. Grouping Richards in there.

The Richards contract is terrible. Sure with the new rules they can get away easier but also can get Royally screwed in the end.

It's not even the cap hit. By paying someone that money you are putting pressure on the coach. I'm sure Sather said we paid this guy $24 million (prorated lockout) last two years and you are playing on the 4th line.

If I'm torts. I come back with " we'll you stupid cigar chomping moron, you paid him that money. Not me

I totally agree with you. Slats however has been able to get rid of these god awful contracts (Redden, Drury, Gomez). Let's see what he does with Richards.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How is this:  

Torts = Genious?

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown 19m I'd hate to be the HR person in charge of doing John Tortorella's exit interview.

To be fair, nobody but nobody predicted Richards' decline in play the past 18 months or so...he should have still been in his prime and instead he's getting outworked and outscored by Derek Stepan and by a pretty wide margin. It's entirely possible that Torts is the problem there, but you would think he'd know how to get the best out of Richards since their best career season was together.

I badly wanted Buffalo to sign Richards so I can't fault Sather for getting it done. If you're being honest, you wanted him wearing the Maple Leaf too...maybe not at the eventual contract but if he was making $5.5 million per like Grabovski you would have been thrilled and then ultimately disappointed by the player that came with the contract at this point.

Hindsight and all that.

To be fair, nobody but nobody predicted Richards' decline in play the past 18 months or so...he should have still been in his prime and instead he's getting outworked and outscored by Derek Stepan and by a pretty wide margin. It's entirely possible that Torts is the problem there, but you would think he'd know how to get the best out of Richards since their best career season was together.

I badly wanted Buffalo to sign Richards so I can't fault Sather for getting it done. If you're being honest, you wanted him wearing the Maple Leaf too...maybe not at the eventual contract but if he was making $5.5 million per like Grabovski you would have been thrilled and then ultimately disappointed by the player that came with the contract at this point.

Hindsight and all that.

Yes wanted him as a Leaf but never for a contract where we are paying him when he is 40.

Find it kind of strange since he supposedly loved playing for Torts.

Norway's got 1(!) player in the NHL at the moment, #36 Zuccarello in the Rangers.

(Ex Flyers Defenseman Tollefsen is said to leave his swedish club for another

stay in the NHL-not confirmed)

Wander whats going to happen now.. Zucca is on restricted free agent.

His relationship to Sather has always been good- but then again- Mr Sather may not

be in the organistation in the autumn either.

Maybe the Rangers bosses wanna do a clean sweep and start with a completely new sports administration too?

Exciting times..

Maybe the mother from That 70s Show is available to coach the Rangers. She might bake them cookies after they lose.

Well Torts was at least honest when he said he took the blame for not getting the best

out of the players.

It is really amazing how guys like Nash and Richards not only underperformed in the playoffs,

but never really got anything going during the whole season. One would expect more from such gifted

players.

I have always liked Rick Nash. He impressed year after year in a bleak team. His qualities are undisputed,

being able to produce so much with such mediocre teammates.

This ought to have been his chance, at least on the paper.

Going from a truly mediocre team to a team with a lot of young talent which not yet had blossomed.

I expected Rick to ignite some of the hidden talent in that Ranger team.

Instead I have never ever seen him so bleak.

In match after match.

It is truly remarkable and Torts gotta take some if not all of the blame for this

He's the kind of guy now, who could take a blue collar type team, low on stars, like a Phoenix or a Nashville, and get them into the playoffs, and maybe win a round or two.

I don't think Torts knew how to use his best players. He's better with grinders.

Zach, you may be spot on.

Why would a guy like Stephan blossom so much under Torts, while a guy like Nash underperforming?

It is truly remarkable

Maybe Nash just isn't as awesome as people think he is. I've always though he was highly overrated. Has he ever scored 70pts in a season. I honestly don't know. But will go look.

Maybe Nash just isn't as awesome as people think he is. I've always though he was highly overrated. Has he ever scored 70pts in a season. I honestly don't know. But will go look.

He's looked pretty awesome when playing for Team Canada at international events... but with all-star centers kind of hard not to.

I agree. He usually underperforms, imo. The glimpses of greatness show his potential, but they're few and far between.

I don't think Torts knew how to use his best players. He's better with grinders.

Seems like he is just incredibly demanding. Which is the opposite of what would work with Richards, Nash and Gaborik, based on their previous reputations. It works with grinders, and it is hit-and-miss with young players.

He's the kind of guy now, who could take a blue collar type team, low on stars, like a Phoenix or a Nashville, and get them into the playoffs, and maybe win a round or two.

This is my thought too, but doesn't explain his success with Tampa Bay. I do think his style lends itself well to winning, in that people are more likely to strongly buy in to anything extreme if it is going well - so he's likely to win a lot and lose a lot.

This is my thought too, but doesn't explain his success with Tampa Bay. I do think his style lends itself well to winning, in that people are more likely to strongly buy in to anything extreme if it is going well - so he's likely to win a lot and lose a lot.

Very good point

He actually won the bucket with a truly underdog team.

Hard guy to figure out