The New York Rangers

Very saddened to hear about the death of Derek Boogaard. He passed away in his home in Minnesota where he was still recovering from concussion symptoms that forced him to miss about half the season. It's unclear whether those symptoms are related, or whether his death is related to his livelihood as a fighter. Thoughts go out to his family and friends.
I've gotta think that calling his death related to a concussion or his fighting career would be pretty sketchy at best. Thousands of guys make their living taking a punch in MMA, pro boxing, kickboxing...etc, and those guys aren't just dropping dead at 28 from getting hit in the head. Like I said in the other thread, if it's not drugs (which I truly hope it's not, and I think that would probably be getting around by now if there was paraphernalia found at the scene) I'd be looking right at his heart as the culprit. That's obviously just speculation on my part, but many more big guys drop unexpectedly from heart issues than they do from head issues. RIP Boogey...very sad.
  • Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How is this:  

Torts = Genious?

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown 19m I'd hate to be the HR person in charge of doing John Tortorella's exit interview.

Statement from the family, upon receiving the results of the toxicology report:

"We would like to express our appreciation for the outpouring of love and support for our family during this difficult period as we grieve the loss of Derek — our son and brother. We are deeply saddened by this unimaginable loss, but we are grateful for the expression of support that has given us strength as we go through this tragic time. It is very comforting for our family to know that, while Derek's life was far too short, he had a great impact on many people who he came into contact with. We are proud that Derek was able to live his boyhood dream to play in the National Hockey League. We are even more proud of the fact that Derek was dedicated to making a difference in his adopted communities of Minnesota and New York City, through his countless hours of charitable work. Earlier today, we received the results of Derek's toxicology report at the time of his accidental death. After repeated courageous attempts at rehabilitation and with the full support of the New York Rangers, the NHLPA, and the NHL, Derek had been showing tremendous improvement but was ultimately unable to beat this opponent. While he played and lived with pain for many years, his passion for the game, his teammates, and his community work was unstoppable. Our family would like to like to thank the New York Rangers, the Minnesota Wild, the National Hockey League Players' Association, and the National Hockey League for supporting Derek's continued efforts in his battle. Derek will be greatly missed and will never be forgotten by his fans, friends, and teammates, and especially by us — his family. We respectfully ask for continued privacy as we grieve the loss of Derek."
So this pretty much implies he battled alcoholism and/or painkiller addiction for a while now. Very sad.
  • 1 month later...

I'm liking this team:FORWARDSWojtek Wolski ($3.800m) / Brad Richards ($6.500m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) Brandon Dubinsky ($3.750m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.900m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.000m) Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.400m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) Michael Rupp ($1.500m) / Brian Boyle ($1.500m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m) Sean Avery ($1.937m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m)DEFENSEMENMarc Staal ($3.975m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Mike Sauer ($1.200m) Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)GOALTENDERSHenrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)BUYOUTS: Chris Drury ($3.716m)CAPGEEK.COM TOTALSSALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,491,667; BONUSES: $1,487,500CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $3,808,333

Rangers resign Sauer (2 years, 1.25 per) and Anisimov (2 years, 1.875 per). Sauer's price is about right and Anisomov may be a bit high, but I'm fine with it. I think he has a lot of upside and it's good to keep him happy / prevent him thinking about the KHL (apparently they were planning to make him an offer).

Rangers resign Sauer (2 years, 1.25 per) and Anisimov (2 years, 1.875 per). Sauer's price is about right and Anisomov may be a bit high, but I'm fine with it. I think he has a lot of upside and it's good to keep him happy / prevent him thinking about the KHL (apparently they were planning to make him an offer).
I think $1.875 for Anisimov will be considered a bargain before we get to the all-star game.
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Probably going to the game tonight. I'm looking forward to it, though midtown is going to be a mess because of St. Patty's day and all.We need a big win against the Avs tonight, especially since the Pens won't lose another game all season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WeeeeeePretty solid series by the Rangers, even though it went all the way to game 7. I thought they played a tough, hard, resilient series and earned their path to the next round. The Sens played a really good series, clearly, and we've had trouble with them all year. While they held the puck a lot, I though our D was pretty good limiting their really good chances, and Henrik was excellent, in particular on the scrambles in front of the net.I would really like to see a lot more out of Gabi and Dubi (if he isn't hurt). But Richards and Callahan really stepped up, and Hagelin and Kreider were extremely impressive. Looking forward to Washington. Coincidentally, I'm going to Washington for the weekend. So watching game 1 there will be fun.

Blame? The #8 seed made it to game 7 against the #1 and lost by a goal... and probably could have won it if they got a bounce in the end.Karlsson didn't produce a lot, but I wouldn't say he was bad. It was his first playoff, I'm not surprised by any of this.

This is getting epic. About to start the third OT. We've lost 2 of 2 OT's already this playoffs. Would be really nice to win this one...

This is getting epic. About to start the third OT. We've lost 2 of 2 OT's already this playoffs. Would be really nice to win this one...
Don't worry, Past Yorke, it works out all right.

That game last night was one for the ages. I'm not sure how the Caps will live that one down emotionally, but I fully expect them to come out 100% tomorrow back in Washington. Rangers have to pounce early and maintain pressure for 60 minutes, we really don't want to go to a game 7.

That may have been our best game of the playoffs. Excellent effort by the Rangers, and we earn the right to play against the Devils.Boy, that Richards signing over the summer seems to be playing dividends, doesn't it?

The Rangers played a pretty weak game last night, but still managed to win by 3 goals and get the shutout. I think the Devils will prove to be the weakest of the three opponents we've faced so far, or at least the team that the Rangers match up best against. Similar to the Washington series, it will be about preventing the Devils from setting up in our zone and maintaining possession for long stretches. The times during the second period where the Devils looked great were the result of defensive mistakes that allowed them to hold it in and to cycle around the defenders. If we win battles in our own end and take the extra moment to make the right pass, instead of blindly throwing it to the center or icing it, we'll be able to shut their offense down.I'm less concerned about our offense this series. I think we can overwhelm the Devils with our grinding forecheck style, and I'm not too concerned with beating Brodeur. Oh, also, Henrik, as he always does against the devils, has decided to go into pure beast mode. He's going to be hard to score against this series.