Coaches! Make Yourselves Known!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're trying to pay bills the bills with a bankroll that's currently only sufficient for the micros, then you should definitely push hard to move up.But that begs the question. My advice, and I don't think is particularly novel or clever, is don't try to pay the bills with a micro bankroll (unless your mother was an octopus, your partially formed twin has a functioning brain located in your liver, and you have a lot of monitors).If you have aspirations to move up, don't quit your day job and don't cash out. Instead of saying when you do something stupid, it will be bad for your advancement (which is true as far as it goes), I submit don't do something something stupid.
This isn't always the case though. There's a fair amount of college kids that don't have a job and are trying to build a bankroll out of nothing. Obviously in an ideal world, life expenses shouldn't cut into your poker bankroll, but unfortunately this isn't a Utopia and sometimes unexpected emergencies happen. Which is why it's important to get out of the micros fast, supporting my initial post.
thats a spelling mistake, not a grammar mistake :club: i have both neither good spelling or good grammer.
LOL well played :)Mark
LOL. OK, so we have made the conclusion that people need ot get out of the micros quickly, but what if they aren't winning at them yet? Whats the best way for that person to learn?
i think the reality is that most of us will prob only play poker for fun and not make a living out of it.
LOL. OK, so we have made the conclusion that people need ot get out of the micros quickly, but what if they aren't winning at them yet? Whats the best way for that person to learn?
Work at a flea market for extra cash imo.
Read a lot, play a lot, talk a lot, post a lot, and think a lot....watch some online videos or something.
Read a lot, play a lot, talk a lot, post a lot, and think a lot....watch some online videos or something.
seriously the single most thing that will help your game is simply playing... followed by finding someone you can talk to about poker all the time.
seriously the single most thing that will help your game is simply playing... followed by finding someone you can talk to about poker all the time.
I disagree, quite a lot. I don't know that there is one single most important thing, because so many things are so important, but if I had to choose one it would be thinking about the game a lot away from the table. LHE is full of developmentally arrested, mediocre players who just keep plugging away with their "strategy" they learned from SSHE or somewhere, because they don't put in the fellow-up effort. Maybe in NL you learn a lot from real-time, in-game analysis, but in my experience you're better off spending 150% as much time in critical review as you do actually play, if you can stand it. It sounds like overkill, and I'm sure it's partially the reaped efforts of a lot of hands I logged a month earlier, but I would say this August was the most important month in my development, and I only played a few thousand hands.

JC pretty much summed it up. It doesn't matter what 'best' resource is, the best way to get better at poker is use ALL of them.

This isn't always the case though. There's a fair amount of college kids that don't have a job and are trying to build a bankroll out of nothing. Obviously in an ideal world, life expenses shouldn't cut into your poker bankroll, but unfortunately this isn't a Utopia and sometimes unexpected emergencies happen. Which is why it's important to get out of the micros fast, supporting my initial post.
If a person might need money for emergencies, then he should get a job. Don't let all those 2+2 prodigies or Rounders cloud your brain. If you might need money to pay the dentist or to fix your transmission to get to school, moving from 0.10/0.25 to $1/$2 on a short roll shouldn't be the first step. Obviously, some people could succeed with this method. It's not prudent, though, and I stand by my advice.Some people move up and start losing. Not everybody who tries to win at $1/$2 does. Somebody has to lose.
If a person might need money for emergencies, then he should get a job. Don't let all those 2+2 prodigies or Rounders cloud your brain. If you might need money to pay the dentist or to fix your transmission to get to school, moving from 0.10/0.25 to $1/$2 on a short roll shouldn't be the first step. Obviously, some people could succeed with this method. It's not prudent, though, and I stand by my advise.Some people move up and start losing. Not everybody who tries to win at $1/$2 does. Somebody has to lose.
Dude I never said anything about taking shots on short rolls. All I said is that getting out of the micros ASAP is the most important thing. Meaning grinding your ass off so that you can move up as soon as possible. Possible meaning as soon as you are rolled and able to beat the next level. I didn't say anything about jumping 3 levels on a short roll.Edit: I advocate using strict BR management and not jumping stakes more than anyone. But if you spend a lot of time early on grinding at micros (getting in a good volume), you'll be able to move up faster rather than being lazy about grinding, only getting in like 10k hands a month and not really progressing.
What are people arguing about? This thread should die as it's been beat to deathhhhhhh.
thats funny. i have a friend who always asks what would bukowski do? and im like uh, thats easy, he'd get drunk and write bad poetry.
thats funny. i have a friend who always asks what would bukowski do? and im like uh, thats easy, he'd get drunk and write bad poetry.
He would get drunk but his poetry is far from bad. Infact, I would say that it's good.
Dude I never said anything about taking shots on short rolls. All I said is that getting out of the micros ASAP is the most important thing. Meaning grinding your ass off so that you can move up as soon as possible. Possible meaning as soon as you are rolled and able to beat the next level. I didn't say anything about jumping 3 levels on a short roll.
I apologize for overstating. I feel we're getting somewhere, in that you've narrowed down what "as soon as possible" means.
Edit: I advocate using strict BR management and not jumping stakes more than anyone. But if you spend a lot of time early on grinding at micros (getting in a good volume), you'll be able to move up faster rather than being lazy about grinding, only getting in like 10k hands a month and not really progressing.
You're talking about life choices, not poker choices, and there's no right path without considering the context of the individual's life. Moving up a level is important for people who want to make the income of the next level. I'll grant you that rake at the micros is especially bad, but it's fundamentally the same decision process for any level change. Getting out of the micros is especially significant to a certain class of people who find similar utility in the amount of cash we're talking about.For a lot of college students, the right path economically is to put lots and lots of effort into learning, some effort into socializing, and a bit into poker. Playing a lot of hands is not universally, or even generally, a good idea. These are life choices.