Oil Is Tanking - It Is A Non-issue In The Near Future.

The secretary of finance shouldn't be anyone associated with Wall Street at all. Wall Street execs are the ones who got us into this mess. Yet we are suppose to trust them to get us out of it?
OK.Nice job.
The secretary of finance shouldn't be anyone associated with Wall Street at all. Wall Street execs are the ones who got us into this mess. Yet we are suppose to trust them to get us out of it?
I'll trust someone who has built a "nucular weapon" to design my bomb shelter before someone who hasnt.
I'll trust someone who has built a "nucular weapon" to design my bomb shelter before someone who hasnt.
Exactly, and I have said this before. There is a reason the best internet security systems are built by hackers.
So because GS was smart and diversified out of bad CBO's and did not over extend in CDS's and they are continuing to be profitable for their stockholders, this is somehow bad?
Of course its bad...they brought the house of cards crashing down around them intentionally.
Of course its bad...they brought the house of cards crashing down around them intentionally.
Exactly. And they are assured to influence Obama as presidentGuess who will be advising him in his pick for the next treasury secretary. "Obama has made it clear he would rely on former Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin for advice in his choice. "Yeah that Same Rubin.http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home
Exactly. And they are assured to influence Obama as presidentGuess who will be advising him in his pick for the next treasury secretary. "Obama has made it clear he would rely on former Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin for advice in his choice. "Yeah that Same Rubin.http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home
ooookkkkaaaayyyyy. File gradin with the trufers.
ooookkkkaaaayyyyy. File gradin with the trufers.
Turn to a blind eye to it if you want. Meanwhile the stock market is the midst of Major Crash and Paulson, a Bush Appointee, who performed very poorly in his job to prepare the US for this crisis inexplicably has the support of Barack Obama.You would think a Democrat running for president would be very critical of the secretary of Finance of one of the most unpopular presidents in history when under his watch he led the economy straight into an iceberg.But instead he says maybe he'll keep him on the job for a while.http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/09/21/o...ing-transition/

It'll be facinating to hear gradin's take on both Obama and McCain considering Warren Buffet for the Treasury Secretary job. As for me having a better idea, my idea would be to go to the guys who've been successful during this economic meltdown or at least not hurt as bad which means mining Goldman Sachs for talent wouldn't be a bad idea.

It'll be facinating to hear gradin's take on both Obama and McCain considering Warren Buffet for the Treasury Secretary job. As for me having a better idea, my idea would be to go to the guys who've been successful during this economic meltdown or at least not hurt as bad which means mining Goldman Sachs for talent wouldn't be a bad idea.
The guys from Goldman Sachs were the ones they lead the US into the crisis. That is a fact! So recruit more because they warned their friends to bail?
I heard Paulson is a Space Alien.
I heard he wants to give cigarettes to children, and matches too. He wants to give matches to your children so they can burn your house down.
The guys from Goldman Sachs were the ones they lead the US into the crisis. That is a fact! So recruit more because they warned their friends to bail?
I heard they have to sign a contract in blood in order to work at GS.They pledge their loyalty to GS for life or else they will be killed.
I heard they have to sign a contract in blood in order to work at GS.They pledge their loyalty to GS for life or else they will be killed.
but Obamas attorney general is going to save the day when he has them all arrested for using the post office for billing fraud.
Absolutely. That's pretty much what I attribute the recent slide to.
Portable alpha managers are getting killed, experiencing negative alpha largely because they are being forced to delever as credit tightens.Lots of things need to turn around!
McCain didnt say he would consider Buffet.
I took his answer to mean that he would consider buffet. I don't really see what a different interpretation would be for why he is mentioning buffett's name in response to this question. ----Brokaw: Senator, we have one minute for a discussion here. Obviously the powers of the treasury secretary have been greatly expanded. The most powerful officer in the cabinet now. Hank Paulson says he won't stay on. Who do you have in mind to appoint to that very important post?Sen. McCain?McCain: Not you, Tom.Brokaw: No, with good reason.McCain: You know, that's a tough question and there's a lot of qualified Americans. But I think the first criteria, Tom, would have to be somebody who immediately Americans identify with, immediately say, we can trust that individual.A supporter of Sen. Obama's is Warren Buffett [chairman of Berkshire Hathaway]. He has already weighed in and helped stabilize some of the difficulties in the markets and with companies and corporations, institutions today.I like Meg Whitman [former CEO of eBay and current McCain campaign adviser], she knows what it's like to be out there in the marketplace. She knows how to create jobs. Meg Whitman was CEO of a company that started with 12 people and is now 1.3 million people in America make their living off eBay. Maybe somebody here has done a little business with them.But the point is it's going to have to be somebody who inspires trust and confidence. Because the problem in America today to a large extent, Tom, is that we don't have trust and confidence in our institutions because of the corruption on Wall Street and the greed and excess and the cronyism in Washington, D.C.
I took his answer to mean that he would consider buffet. I don't really see what a different interpretation would be for why he is mentioning buffett's name in response to this question. ----Brokaw: Senator, we have one minute for a discussion here. Obviously the powers of the treasury secretary have been greatly expanded. The most powerful officer in the cabinet now. Hank Paulson says he won't stay on. Who do you have in mind to appoint to that very important post?Sen. McCain?McCain: Not you, Tom.Brokaw: No, with good reason.McCain: You know, that's a tough question and there's a lot of qualified Americans. But I think the first criteria, Tom, would have to be somebody who immediately Americans identify with, immediately say, we can trust that individual.A supporter of Sen. Obama's is Warren Buffett [chairman of Berkshire Hathaway]. He has already weighed in and helped stabilize some of the difficulties in the markets and with companies and corporations, institutions today.I like Meg Whitman [former CEO of eBay and current McCain campaign adviser], she knows what it's like to be out there in the marketplace. She knows how to create jobs. Meg Whitman was CEO of a company that started with 12 people and is now 1.3 million people in America make their living off eBay. Maybe somebody here has done a little business with them.But the point is it's going to have to be somebody who inspires trust and confidence. Because the problem in America today to a large extent, Tom, is that we don't have trust and confidence in our institutions because of the corruption on Wall Street and the greed and excess and the cronyism in Washington, D.C.
I still read it the same way I heard it the first time..."That one" likes Buffet, who is qualified, I like Whitman who is also qualified. (Though I dont necessarily agree. Ebay's success was in the marketing of it, not any great understanding of economics.)
Portable alpha managers are getting killed, experiencing negative alpha largely because they are being forced to delever as credit tightens.Lots of things need to turn around!
I really can't comment to much because of my job, but you are absolutely right. It's a numbers game right now that maybe six months ago could have been handled differently, as far as if you are in a margin call situation you may have a few days to deal with it. Not so much so right now, especially if you are leveraging as much as possible and riding that maintenence requirement.

To my conservative allies, might this actually be a good thing?http://www.time.com/time/business/article/...00.html?cnn=yesAnd slow down the Climate Change insanity?http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,...1847409,00.htmlI know personally, I am gonna save about 35% on my gasoline bill this month, which ran at around $900 for my thirsty little SUVs last month. So that certainly makes me happy. Myopic? Maybe. But the bottom line is cash available for fun after the billz get paid!

To my conservative allies, might this actually be a good thing?http://www.time.com/time/business/article/...00.html?cnn=yesAnd slow down the Climate Change insanity?http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,...1847409,00.htmlI know personally, I am gonna save about 35% on my gasoline bill this month, which ran at around $900 for my thirsty little SUVs last month. So that certainly makes me happy. Myopic? Maybe. But the bottom line is cash available for fun after the billz get paid!
How can it not be a good thing? Time, lol.