Chicago Bulls Thread

i'm thourougly ashamed that i thought the bulls should have taken Beasley last year. so ashamed.
so that was you! Miami almost passed on Beasley at #2 (and I like beasley but I think he is no better than Mayo/Westbrook/Lopez at this point sadly).Rose was far and away the best rookie.....Miami really wanted him and it is pretty clear why now. His game 1 was sick.....Beasley looked terrible against Atlanta (in fairness the whole Heat team laid an egg in Game 1).
  • Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so that was you! Miami almost passed on Beasley at #2 (and I like beasley but I think he is no better than Mayo/Westbrook/Lopez at this point sadly).Rose was far and away the best rookie.....Miami really wanted him and it is pretty clear why now. His game 1 was sick.....Beasley looked terrible against Atlanta (in fairness the whole Heat team laid an egg in Game 1).
Hold on a sec, Mayo isn't exactly a slouch. He was looking great at the start of the season, and though he faded a bit, that's to be expected in a rookie. But I mean, yeah Rose was in another class. I just love his game. He also lead me to fantasy basket ball glory. What I can't believe is that the Derrick Rose era has started already. He's murdered the C's game one. I never would have predicted that the bulls would win game one, and lead the Celtics at half time. If the C's don't wake up, this series is going to be over

Jesus Christ what a great game.

Easy on the Rose era starting, he didn't exactly have a great followup. If I remember right Paul followed up his 35-10 first playoff game with another 30/10 performance.
What does chris paul have to do with a god damn thing?

From Hardwood Paroxysm:" Let me give you a complete rundown of what Vinny Del Negro thinks an offensive playbook is. Play #1: Derrick Rose sets up at the key. Brad Miller comes out for a pick. The defense ignores Miller and focuses on Rose. Rose swings it back to Brad Miller. Brad Miller turns the ball over. That concludes our complete rundown of what Vinny Del Negro considers an offensive playbook."

From Hardwood Paroxysm:" Let me give you a complete rundown of what Vinny Del Negro thinks an offensive playbook is. Play #1: Derrick Rose sets up at the key. Brad Miller comes out for a pick. The defense ignores Miller and focuses on Rose. Rose swings it back to Brad Miller. Brad Miller turns the ball over. That concludes our complete rundown of what Vinny Del Negro considers an offensive playbook."
I swear nobody watches full games. He started running the screens with Salmons once it was clear they were going to double Rose, which I was waiting for, and that should have worked except Salmons couldn't make a shot either and was turning it over when he tried to make a play. I'm not sure about Salmons yet, either he really is hurt or he's just one of those guys that can score on a shitty team and in the regular season when the opposition is worried more about their own play than the tendencies of the opponents. I'm not a big VDN guy, but I like what he's done in this series, and I'm sure they're going to try less screen roll stuff with Rose in Game 3 and let him operate on his own a little bit more. I'd love to see a Rose Gordon duo running that at the top at some point. Keep in mind that this is their offense and they're not going to deviate too much from it, especially when they've been so successful.Someone on here pointed out how far Vinny walks out onto the court when a TO is called, and since then I watch him do it every time and I want to punch somebody every time I see it.
What does chris paul have to do with a god damn thing?
We agree the best point guard in the game today is Paul right? Well he is a lot ore consistent than Rose, until Rose gets that consistent he isn't in the Paul/Williams best PG conversation so forgive me if I don't want to call anything the Rose era, he is playing in the Paul era right now.Great game.
We agree the best point guard in the game today is Paul right? Well he is a lot ore consistent than Rose, until Rose gets that consistent he isn't in the Paul/Williams best PG conversation so forgive me if I don't want to call anything the Rose era, he is playing in the Paul era right now.Great game.
Jesus christ, can't you just enjoy a good player without yammering about some other player, current or otherwise, that is better than him. Of course paul is better. I'm just saying I'm shocked that Rose is so good, so early, and that he can lead the bulls to playoff wins.
Someone on here pointed out how far Vinny walks out onto the court when a TO is called, and since then I watch him do it every time and I want to punch somebody every time I see it.
Vinny's mannerisms annoy me. I hate how he calls timeout, then walks halfway out onto the court by himself and looks like he's trying to act like a hardass. Also, when the Bulls score, he'll move from near the end of the coach's box and walk back toward the bench with his arms folded across his chest. Stand still, douchebag.
:club:
Jesus christ, can't you just enjoy a good player without yammering about some other player, current or otherwise, that is better than him. Of course paul is better. I'm just saying I'm shocked that Rose is so good, so early, and that he can lead the bulls to playoff wins.
I've had fun watching both of the Bull/Celtics games. But Rondo has been the more consistent performer between the two point guards so far. He actually played a little defense in game two, his teammates just forgot to guard Gordon.
I've had fun watching both of the Bull/Celtics games. But Rondo has been the more consistent performer between the two point guards so far. He actually played a little defense in game two, his teammates just forgot to guard Gordon.
I don't really agree with this. He was just unconscious at the end of the game, shooting whenever and wherever. It's hard to guard that.
I don't really agree with this. He was just unconscious at the end of the game, shooting whenever and wherever. It's hard to guard that.
To an extent yes, but the one big knock on Gordon is his height. I don't know why they aren't sticking someone taller on him to make shooting over the defense a bit harder. I'll be interested to see what adjustments both coaches make next game.
To an extent yes, but the one big knock on Gordon is his height. I don't know why they aren't sticking someone taller on him to make shooting over the defense a bit harder. I'll be interested to see what adjustments both coaches make next game.
at the end of the game, he was shotting off of double teams, shooting off the run. THere's not much ou can do about that. Some days, a guy just goes off.
at the end of the game, he was shotting off of double teams, shooting off the run. THere's not much ou can do about that. Some days, a guy just goes off.
He does it on a a semi regular basis.
He does it on a a semi regular basis.
When Gordon gets hot, he is as streaky a scorer as there is in the league. Has been sicne he came into the league.It's a joy to watch. No one this side of JR Smith gets hotter, faster, out of nowhere, and can maintain it no matter what defense is thrown at him. He CANNOT be stopped.Does that make up for his atrociuos defense and his lack of ways to create scoring and involve his teammates on the nights he isn't sizzling (to go along with no rebounding or toughness whatsoever)? I'll let the Bulls .500 record through his five seasons as the Bulls primary scorer (with equally average NBA teammates) answer that question for you. He cannot take a team to the next level. He is a great sixth man, or a decent second or third scorer on a contendor. To say anything else would ignore the mediocrity the Bulls have had with him as a primary weapon. He simply doesn't bring enough to the table on a night by night basis to be considered a superstar in the league, or really anywhere close to it to be honest.
  • 6 months later...

Season opener tonight, here's my preview of the season:The biggest story of the off-season was clearly the loss of Ben Gordon. Can the Bulls replace his 20ppg?The answer to that question lies in the hands of John Salmons and Luol Deng. They are the two biggest question marks of the season. A lot of people point to Salmons' rather large jump in production from one year to the next and assume he is due to regress this year. But I'm not so sure if this is true. The only stat where there really is a significant increase is in 3pt%, shooting 41.7% last year which is his best season shooting by far. Another thing to consider is that he's only 29. He should be seeing an increase in production. This is his athletic prime, and I see no reason why he can't perform equally as well this year if not better. What this all means is that the season really rests within the hands of Luol Deng. Can he return to his form of a few years ago when he was one of the best mid-range shooters in the league, or will he continue to struggle? If this pre-season was an indication, then I'm not too confident. It makes it difficult to give an accurate prediction of the year when one of they key components is such a question mark.Another question which is seemingly asked every year is: will Tyrus Thomas finally make that leap forward this year? In addition, will Noah become the dominant rebounder and disruptive defender that the Bulls need him to be? During the pre-season, Thomas spent a lot of time working in the paint and driving to the basket. Basically what every Bulls fan has been asking out of him for the past three years. If this is any indication of what he will do this season, then I feel confident saying he will make that leap forward this year. It's also worth noting that he is in a contract year, so he may just be realizing that his best option is doing those things so he can receive a pay day this off-season. This is something that I'm completely fine with. My feelings towards Noah are a little different than those towards Thomas. With Noah I know he is going to bring it every single night. I know he is going to work is ass off on both ends of the floor. He has bulked up a little in the off-season and hopefully this can help a little with his defensive rebounding, in which he was 23rd last year in the league in defensive rebounding rating (the Bulls as a team were 28th as a team last year). On the flip-side of that is Noah's incredible job rebounding on the offensive end last year. He was 1st in the NBA in offensive rebounding rating (the Bulls ranked 6th). I'm going to attribute this to the ridiculous energy he brings to the court.One of the biggest strengths of the Bulls this year will be their bench. Kirk Hinrich and Brad Miller are starters on a lot of teams in this league. Hinrich is a good defensive option off the bench and a reliable three-point threat. Brad Miller may have been the biggest reason last year why the Bulls were able to get into the playoffs at the last minute and take the Celtics to seven games. During that series last year, the Bulls' best lineups according to +/- all had Miller in them (I don't have the +/- for lineups on hand, but Miller's average for all seven games was +7.6). Also worth noting is the signing of Jannero Pargo. I honestly do not know what is to be expected of Pargo, but I do know that he is a high-volume shooter who can occasionally light it up. If used properly, he could be a valuable asset to this team. The Bulls top two rookies have also fared well in the pre-season. Gibson has shown very solid, consistent production. Johnson has been more erratic but has shown a decent amount of promise at times.I have not talked about Rose until this point because I don't think he's a very big question mark. I feel very confident in saying that he could average 18ppg and 8apg this year. If he can add in more consistency on defense (particularly his guarding of the pick-and-roll), then I don't think being an All-Star this year is out of the question.Final record prediction: 45-37

Salmons has been absolutely terrible so far this year.
Just a slow start I think. Luol had a terrible game, then puts up a 25/20 game. That would be nice to get on a regular basis. (I forget exact amt of points, right around there.)Probably gonig to the game vs the Bobcats on Saturday!
Probably gonig to the game vs the Bobcats on Saturday!
1. They won!!2. Noah is a beast!! I think he had 21 and 17 with 4 blocks and went 10-12 from the floor. He's only one of 3 people ever to do that in a win. (go better than 20/15/4/80%) Saw it on NBA Fastbreak, I think the others were Shaq and maybe Wilt, I forget the 2nd one.