Official Palin/biden Debate Thread

Expectations for Biden going in were rather high and expectations for Palin were extremely low. I think both exceeded expectations in a big way and the debate camp really helped her avoid any major blunders which was a must for the GOP. I got a different read then some, feeling like she started better than Biden did, but that Biden did well when the discussion switched to foreign policy. Her comments on foreign policy seemed memorized and robotic (most of jher answers did) but Biden was more confident in that section and seemed to be more knowledgeable about the issue. I feel like Biden answered more of the questions. Both talked about the same amount of time, but Biden actually answered more of the questions directly. One glaring example was the question on what would be your biggest crutch as a VP. Biden answered that question talking about his stubbornness, but Palin didn't mention even one thing about herself that she felt was a crutch. Instead she talked about her resume. Good politics for Palin, but not answering the questions asked was a theme for the evening. Biden rambled a bit, but one thing I was happy to see was that he was very careful to show her a great deal of respect and was never condescending towards her. In fact, he actually used compliments to her in his attacks on McCain, saying something like, "I respect what you are doing in Alaska, that's what Obama and I want to do for the country. But McCain doesn't want what you want.." The gay marriage thing. Wow, that was odd for me. She appeared to be agreeing with Biden on the issue and that surprised me. In the end, I think Biden won, but not by as large a margin as predicted He answered more questions and would explain what the campaign would like to do with the economy, foreign affairs, etc. Palin didn't supply content in that sense. On several occasions she would answer a question but offer no plan. I predicted it would be pretty lame in comparison to the hype, and I was right on. Little happened, outside of Palin doing a good job of making Republicans feel more comfortable with her on the ticket, which I think is a big deal in terms of perception, but ultimately won't do much in terms of winning the election. Obama is winning at this point and I don't think this debate will have an effect on that either way. The McCain camp needs another game changer and this debate wasn't it. This debate really puts an end to the importance of the VP candidates for the most part, and now it's time for the two main men to go at it. Obama is in a commanding position, a big favorite to be the next president, and at this point all the campaign needs to do is tread water and make no major mistakes. The McCain camp needs to continue to gamble up and try to get back into it. While this debate HAS to be considered a moral victory for Palin, I'm definitely going to bet a lot of money on Obama being the next president. I'd lay 3/2 if anyone wants to gamble :-) Biden wins debate. Palin gets moral victory and exceeds expectations. That's my two cents.
Nice post and I agree with nearly all of it.
  • Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had about 6 posts in this thread so far, and you decided to focus on this one. I like that. Very classic. That being said, guess what? She held her own on foreign policy issues. She held her own on the economy. She did a better job connecting with real people, she did a good job hammering away on Obamas bullshit tax ideas, she did a good job of making sure the world knows that not that long ago Biden wanted to run with MCCAIN- she brought it up a few times. She was a stark contrast to Biden just flat out lying about things. She did a great job connecting on the whole "We are not going to take this" thing. She showed she is more than adequate, and if you vote against McCain it wont be because of her.
You're right. I'm voting against McCain because of McCain.
This is a straight up lie. You can say it however you want, but you would not have voted for ANYONE with a ® behind their name, and that's a fact. I'm not saying that's bad, but Palin has nothing to do with it. I would never vote for a dem.
And just have to say that it looks like I'll be voting for a Republican in our senatorial race because Cousin Max voted for the bailout bill. Actually that may not be my only criteria however so I might not. But right now I'm pissed as hell at him so Eyebrows Kelleher right now has my vote. And now to Palin, she presented herself well if a bit on the hokey side sometimes. And Biden came off pretty well also. All in all, I'd give a small nod to Biden but really could be a tie.
Who is saying she crushed him?
The public perception of this debate will be that Palin crushed him, whether it was due to low expectations or not.
Allright, so he said the perception will be that she crushed him.
Those of you who have been shouting for more access/exposure to Palin - get ready. You're going to be seeing a TON of her.
I disagree with this. Sure it will be all over the news cycle the next two days, but after that, I think it's all but over. The interest in the VPs lessens and the focus switches back to the presidential debate. Economy, economy, economy, will be the focus of Obama's campaign spending, and you have to admit, that is the key issue of the election at the moment. I don't think either McCain or Palin did an effective job convincing the middle class that they will be able to help them. I don't think they will be able to, and in the end, voters will lean towards Obama in the hopes that they can function financially.
I don't think either McCain or Palin did an effective job convincing the middle class that they will be able to help them. I don't think they will be able to, and in the end, voters will lean towards Obama in the hopes that they can function financially.
While I agree that McCain didnt do much to this, I think Palin hit one nail on the head about not letting ourselves fall into this situation again. I think she reached out to Americans when she was talking about not falling into the trap again.Overall, both did exactly what they needed to do. Biden didnt have any major screw ups, and Palin held her own. McCain is going to need two strong debates in the coming weeks.

I wonder if Obama will benefit from low expectations on Tuesday considering everyone thinks the town hall is McCain's bread and butter.

Expectations for Biden going in were rather high and expectations for Palin were extremely low. I think both exceeded expectations in a big way and the debate camp really helped her avoid any major blunders which was a must for the GOP. I got a different read then some, feeling like she started better than Biden did, but that Biden did well when the discussion switched to foreign policy. Her comments on foreign policy seemed memorized and robotic (most of jher answers did) but Biden was more confident in that section and seemed to be more knowledgeable about the issue. I feel like Biden answered more of the questions. Both talked about the same amount of time, but Biden actually answered more of the questions directly. One glaring example was the question on what would be your biggest crutch as a VP. Biden answered that question talking about his stubbornness, but Palin didn't mention even one thing about herself that she felt was a crutch. Instead she talked about her resume. Good politics for Palin, but not answering the questions asked was a theme for the evening. Biden rambled a bit, but one thing I was happy to see was that he was very careful to show her a great deal of respect and was never condescending towards her. In fact, he actually used compliments to her in his attacks on McCain, saying something like, "I respect what you are doing in Alaska, that's what Obama and I want to do for the country. But McCain doesn't want what you want.." The gay marriage thing. Wow, that was odd for me. She appeared to be agreeing with Biden on the issue and that surprised me. In the end, I think Biden won, but not by as large a margin as predicted He answered more questions and would explain what the campaign would like to do with the economy, foreign affairs, etc. Palin didn't supply content in that sense. On several occasions she would answer a question but offer no plan. I predicted it would be pretty lame in comparison to the hype, and I was right on. Little happened, outside of Palin doing a good job of making Republicans feel more comfortable with her on the ticket, which I think is a big deal in terms of perception, but ultimately won't do much in terms of winning the election. Obama is winning at this point and I don't think this debate will have an effect on that either way. The McCain camp needs another game changer and this debate wasn't it. This debate really puts an end to the importance of the VP candidates for the most part, and now it's time for the two main men to go at it. Obama is in a commanding position, a big favorite to be the next president, and at this point all the campaign needs to do is tread water and make no major mistakes. The McCain camp needs to continue to gamble up and try to get back into it. While this debate HAS to be considered a moral victory for Palin, I'm definitely going to bet a lot of money on Obama being the next president. I'd lay 3/2 if anyone wants to gamble :-) Biden wins debate. Palin gets moral victory and exceeds expectations. That's my two cents.
Can't disagree with much here.Biden didn't Gaffe much.Palin did what needed to be done to put the two interviews behind her. The BHO/Biden camp really need to put this debate behind them. McCain will do everything they can to dispute any factual errors by Biden and keep the headlines on this debate as long as possible. Also, McCain's "judgement" in choosing her as VP is no longer a major issue.The Gay Marriage thing SHOCKED me. First of all that Palin seemed to support same sex rights AND admitted in so many words that she didn't support same sex marriage buth then that Biden said he and BHO didn't support same sex marriage was a jaw dropping moment for me....and no way I'm taking that bet.
I disagree with this. Sure it will be all over the news cycle the next two days, but after that, I think it's all but over. The interest in the VPs lessens and the focus switches back to the presidential debate. Economy, economy, economy, will be the focus of Obama's campaign spending, and you have to admit, that is the key issue of the election at the moment. I don't think either McCain or Palin did an effective job convincing the middle class that they will be able to help them. I don't think they will be able to, and in the end, voters will lean towards Obama in the hopes that they can function financially.
All McCain has to do is keep up the message to the people, also look back on history a bit and what raising taxes does to job creation. Obamas formula is a losing proposition for America. Not surprising, being that he doesn't all that much like his own country. The truth is this- if it stays this close, Obamas blackness will be an issue, as much for Dems as Republicans- if he can't build a decent lead he can't win. Now, throw in a competent Palin and give women some skin in the game and it makes it all that worse.
I just think that the McCain campaign will be putting her front & center as much as possible. They kept her under wraps which kept the speculation high. Now she has shown she can handle the pressure and they will prade her around as much as possible.
Can't disagree with much here.Biden didn't Gaffe much.Palin did what needed to be done to put the two interviews behind her. The BHO/Biden camp really need to put this debate behind them. McCain will do everything they can to dispute any factual errors by Biden and keep the headlines on this debate as long as possible. Also, McCain's "judgement" in choosing her as VP is no longer a major issue.The Gay Marriage thing SHOCKED me. First of all that Palin seemed to support same sex rights AND admitted in so many words that she didn't support same sex marriage buth then that Biden said he and BHO didn't support same sex marriage was a jaw dropping moment for me....and no way I'm taking that bet.
Bidne didn't gaffe? He flat out lied mulitple times. I guess it's time to decide what a gaffe is.
It's depressing, isn't it? Thank god for a little happy in the race.
The length of the election is depressing. The thought that Obama could be so close to the presidency while disliking his country is insane.
Bidne didn't gaffe? He flat out lied mulitple times. I guess it's time to decide what a gaffe is.
Good point - the problem is the whole perception thing. Sort of like a Newspaper printing a retraction. The "Fact Checkers" will print their reports, but they will be on Page 5.
Welcome to the world of the Democrat.
so ends tonight's feature: CaneBrain bangs his head against a wall for a few minutes....then thinks better of it. You still glad you traded for Shaq?
Good point - the problem is the whole perception thing. Sort of like a Newspaper printing a retraction. The "Fact Checkers" will print their reports, but they will be on Page 5.
Palin made some misleading comments too (the Obama raised taxes 94 times claim is pretty much bogus when put in any actual context). But, yes, your general point---that fact checking gets largely ignored----is true.
Wrong. If the GOP ticket was Hagel/Paul I would vote for it.I am actually a registered independent and I am very conservative on a couple of issues (illegal immigration being a big one). Palin to me represents everything that has led the Republican party to not really be Republican anymore.
well thats one vote they would have gotten :club:

Kind of a let down. I thought there were many times, where both of them could have really dug into what the other said and given examples of the inaccuracies. But neither did. I still think when she gave that 30 second answer, I believe it was on Iran (not positive) and Biden was not expecting it, it threw him for like a 5 minute loop.I also wish there was some way that the "fact" checkers could get that information disseminated correctly.Overall I thought it was pretty much a wash. Biden blowharded a little too much, Palin middle America'd it a little too much.

well thats one vote they would have gotten :club:
I like Chuck Hagel. I really really do. I wish Obama had picked him for VP. I was being a bit facetious about Ron Paul....he is a bit out there even for me. I just could not think of another GOP member I really liked. Susan Collins of Maine is good. Any really good GOP governors out there (not including Palin)?I never pretended for a moment that ticket could win....and you know as well as I that Ron Paul on any ticket would get some votes. Lots of people really like him. He raised a ton of cash in Florida.

The House vote on the Bailout will be front and center tomorrow so I doubt this debate will get much play beyond that. And those of you who are supporting McCain have to realize that you're the choir. But to reach out and get those voters, especially in the rust belt and those who are in rural western states, he is going to have to do better to get some kind of message across as to what he will do with the economy. So far all I've heard from him is how awful Obama's plan is but I've not heard a whole lot from McCain or Palin about how they plan to set things right and help those who need it. And without something in his economic plan that differs substantially from Bush, he's not going to win those voters. Right now they see that he's from the President in power's party and that's the party that by their seeing it, got them into this mess. What I'm saying is that it's not going to be enough this time around to just attack the other guy. He's going to have to show the people what his plan and agenda is. And heaven help him if the perception is that it's not that different from the plan of the guy that screwed up the economy in the first place.

I'm laying 3/2 odds on Obama... I repeat, 3/2 odds on Obama, the black guy. Can someone photo shot a big mouth with a large wad of cash next to it?
There's a black guy in the race?...next thing you'll be telling there's a woman running on the Republican ticket.