Can Single Table Be Profitable?

As I have mentioned before, I am fairly new to online poker and am wondering if it is profitable to play one table at a time.I tried playing 1-2 NL online like I do live and got crushed. I have dropped down quite a bit and find that I can beat the players at my new limits on a fairly consistant basis. One thing I rely on is my ability to read players. I rely very heavily on this for my live play and have found the same to be true online. I bought PokerTracker but do not find it to be much help to me. It doesn't tell me when someone just took a bad beat and may be pushing a marginal hand or when one player has had his blinds raised by the same person all night and is now becoming defensive, etc... Once I bring up so much as a second table, I lose all track of little things like that.Also, I rely heavily on the avatars on PokerStars. It is much easier for me to associate a customized image with a player (as you would a person in real life) than it is to try and remember how people play based on their crazy names. I really wish more sites would allow the customized Avatar. There are times when I don't even notice that a player has swapped out with another one when they are using the same generic avatar.So with all of that said, am I basically spinning my wheels at one low limit table? I will have my small wins. I figure my hourly rate will be below minimum wage thus making this a huge waste of time (outside of the poker fun factor).Thanks for any input.

Also, I rely heavily on the avatars on PokerStars. It is much easier for me to associate a customized image with a player (as you would a person in real life) than it is to try and remember how people play based on their crazy names. I really wish more sites would allow the customized Avatar. There are times when I don't even notice that a player has swapped out with another one when they are using the same generic avatar.
Hate to say it, but that seems quite odd to me. I understand what you mean, but there are so many better ways. Use the notes, and get Poker Tracker. That certainly makes keeping track of styles/bad players a lot easier.

before reading the post, obviously it can be profitable playing just one table. If playing one table ISN'T profitable, playing two won't be either.However, playing one table may not be maximising your profit

As I have mentioned before, I am fairly new to online poker and am wondering if it is profitable to play one table at a time.I tried playing 1-2 NL online like I do live and got crushed. I have dropped down quite a bit and find that I can beat the players at my new limits on a fairly consistant basis. One thing I rely on is my ability to read players. I rely very heavily on this for my live play and have found the same to be true online. I bought PokerTracker but do not find it to be much help to me. It doesn't tell me when someone just took a bad beat and may be pushing a marginal hand or when one player has had his blinds raised by the same person all night and is now becoming defensive, etc... Once I bring up so much as a second table, I lose all track of little things like that.Also, I rely heavily on the avatars on PokerStars. It is much easier for me to associate a customized image with a player (as you would a person in real life) than it is to try and remember how people play based on their crazy names. I really wish more sites would allow the customized Avatar. There are times when I don't even notice that a player has swapped out with another one when they are using the same generic avatar.So with all of that said, am I basically spinning my wheels at one low limit table? I will have my small wins. I figure my hourly rate will be below minimum wage thus making this a huge waste of time (outside of the poker fun factor).Thanks for any input.
you must have the same read on all those players with the intellipoker avatar.....although, the read is most likely the same anyway.

All the replies above are good. But I would suggest one thing, spend some time two tabling $2NL. It might not click for you, but most people can play two+ tables if they practice at it. And it is obviously very valuable, because you can nearly double your hourly rate.

Nicks, nicks, nicks, learn people's nicks. Alot on stars don't use avatars, and those that do will change them at random. For me personally I've had more luck with smaller poker sites where the player base is smaller, easier to take in all the characters. Tho there is a better selection of games at FT & PS, at times it's overwhelming the amount of people playing online.

I have been using Poker Tracker for about 6 weeks now. It helps pick out the tight / loose players, but doesn't necessarily help me with 'reads'.As far as profitable, I am a winning player at my level. But since my level is so low, it almost isn't worth playing for any extended period of time.I have tried two tables, but have found that I lose track of the play very quickly. I don't pick up on whether or not a certain player tends to chase flushes, straights... leads out with any pair, etc. because I can't keep track of how hands develop.I don't know, maybe I am concentrating on my game way too much. I also feel like I play very mechanical when I play two tables.I didn't think this would be so hard because I am an avid gamer and it seems like gamers adjust to multi-tabling very well.Maybe I will try practicing the penny tables. Thanks for the responses.

If you use poker tracker to its full potential it should be way better then potential reads you have on opponents. Knowing exactly how often someone 3 bets, calls a 3 bet, continuation bets a flop, etc is probably more useful then knowing whether a person may or may not be tilted because they just lost a big hand. Learn to use poker tracker on one table to expand your reads on players. Take notes, then when you are ready open a 2nd table, etc. If you are using good game selection you shouldn't be playing many good regs and most of your profit should be coming from either bad regs or short stacks playing with the last of their bankroll.

If you use poker tracker to its full potential it should be way better then potential reads you have on opponents. Knowing exactly how often someone 3 bets, calls a 3 bet, continuation bets a flop, etc is probably more useful then knowing whether a person may or may not be tilted because they just lost a big hand. Learn to use poker tracker on one table to expand your reads on players. Take notes, then when you are ready open a 2nd table, etc. If you are using good game selection you shouldn't be playing many good regs and most of your profit should be coming from either bad regs or short stacks playing with the last of their bankroll.
This!!!!You get everything you need as far as reads on Pokertracker. It will give you an excellent idea of your opponent, granted you have a number of hands on them. Take a deeper look at some of the stats, like cbet frequency, % fold to steal. There is more information in there than I think you are using.