Mma Guys- Ufc 4 Question

I remember watching this one the year it happened via PPV. This was before MMA was anything like it is today and there were still 'debates' as to whether it was a legitimate sport or simply just a huge devolution of societies standards. Anyway, Gracie V Severn(here's part 2, but that's all you really need since Part 1 was much the same- If you want to save time, watch it from 6:00 on...)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niBUFJUb1CkQ1: What is that move that Gracie executed at the end which caused Severn to tap? Is that the triangle choke? If so, why didn't Severn powerbomb his ass? He clearly could've done it with little effort since Gracie doesn't even weigh 200. Q2: They refer to Severn as being 34 there (1994), but according to Wikipedia, he would've been 40. Was he lying about his age or is Wikipedia wrong?

I remember watching this one the year it happened via PPV. This was before MMA was anything like it is today and there were still 'debates' as to whether it was a legitimate sport or simply just a huge devolution of societies standards. Anyway, Gracie V Severn(here's part 2, but that's all you really need since Part 1 was much the same- If you want to save time, watch it from 6:00 on...)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niBUFJUb1CkQ1: What is that move that Gracie executed at the end which caused Severn to tap? Is that the triangle choke? If so, why didn't Severn powerbomb his ass? He clearly could've done it with little effort since Gracie doesn't even weigh 200. Q2: They refer to Severn as being 34 there (1994), but according to Wikipedia, he would've been 40. Was he lying about his age or is Wikipedia wrong?
That is indeed a head and arm triangle choke. I think the reason Severn didn't slam him is he didn't have the energy. UFC has changed alot since UFC 4. That night the fight card had 8 fighters fighting in a tourney style bracket. There were no rounds and no time limits. This was the 3rd fight of the night for both fighters.I can't find the entire fight card, but this is what Gracie had to endure that night.Win Dan Severn Submission (Triangle Choke) UFC 4 - Revenge of the Warriors 12/16/1994 1 15:49Win Ron van Clief Submission (Rear Naked Choke) UFC 4 - Revenge of the Warriors 12/16/1994 1 3:59Win Keith Hackney Submission (Armlock) UFC 4 - Revenge of the Warriors 12/16/1994 1 5:32EDIT: I found Severn's fights on wikiepdia. * Dan Severn vs Anthony Macias Severn wins by submission (rear naked choke) in 1:45. * Dan Severn vs Marcus Bossett Severn wins by submission (rear naked choke) at 0:52 of the first round. Bossett replaced Steve Jennum. (Before the PPV started there would be 3 alternate fights. If any of the main draw fighters win but is too injured to continue, an alternate fighter would step in.
  • 1 month later...