Any Metal Heads Here?

HELL YEAH,- More of a hardcore rock supergroup, but gets my vote for best new band of the last year in this department. Pantera and Damageplan double-kick maestro, drummer Vinnie Paul, singer and lyricist Chad Gray and guitarist Greg Tribbett (both from Mudvayne) along with guitarist Tom Maxwell (Nothingface) have combined forces to stop you in your tracks and listen to theirs. HELLYEAH's self-titled debut features the best elements of these bands vocals that veer maniacally between singer and song, surging, southern metal guitar groove, throbbing bass lines and hammering, ground-shaking beats, all with a feel and flavor thats both contemporary and timeless.
Pantera gets my vote for best metal group of the 90's. Whats the poll for this decade?
stripper.
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea cos Violin intros scream METAAAAAAALLLLL!!!!Metallica defined thrash in the early to mid 80's, yes their recent stuff is garbage but i think you're understating how much they influenced many of the 'thrash' bands of the late 80's early 90's.It might be just me, but i can't really consider a band like testament to be anywhere near on par with metallica, Especially they're recent stuff, atleast in their early albums the lyrics were somewhat discernible but in the few tracks of their newish stuff I've heard there is alot of their death grunts and repetition which to me always come across as just lazy.
who in christs name listens to metal for the lyrics?
I You're working for perfect bodies, perfect minds and perfect neighbors. But I'm helping to legalize dope on your pristine streets and I'm making a fortune.You're muscle and gall. Naive at best. I'm bone, brain, and ****. Deep down stronger than all.
Well in most cases where the lyrics are good they really add something to a track, this includes metal, sure the focus is on the 'music' but in the case of all the greatest metal singers and lyricists it's pretty clear to see that the lyrics are a fundamental element of the band, and i don't mean random screaming and grunting ala most of those shitty bands you've mentioned. If they aren't gonna bother writing decent lyrics why not just be an instrumental band?Thats where i see the difference between these bands and the truly great metal bands, sure they all have heavy riffs and driving base lines, but look at the number of metal bands who also have great lyrics that stand up on their own. few and far between imo

Fucked With A KnifeNo escape from your fateDestined to be mineEvery night I wait to seeIn the night, watchingStalking your every moveI know when you're aloneAll aloneTied tight to the bedLegs spread openBruised flesh, lacerationsSkin stained with bloodI'm the only one you loveI feel her heart beatingmy knife deep insideHer crotch is bleedingShe liked the way it felt inside herFucking her, harder, harderShe liked the way it felt inside herFucking her, harder, harderStick it inRip the skinCarve and twistTorn fleshFrom behindI cut her crotchIn her ass I stuck my cockKilling as I cum

Well in most cases where the lyrics are good they really add something to a track, this includes metal, sure the focus is on the 'music' but in the case of all the greatest metal singers and lyricists it's pretty clear to see that the lyrics are a fundamental element of the band, and i don't mean random screaming and grunting ala most of those shitty bands you've mentioned. If they aren't gonna bother writing decent lyrics why not just be an instrumental band?Thats where i see the difference between these bands and the truly great metal bands, sure they all have heavy riffs and driving base lines, but look at the number of metal bands who also have great lyrics that stand up on their own. few and far between imo
1) if you think, then, that Metalica's lyrics "add something" you're an idiot. Metalica's lyrics are retarded. Here's an example...Saint Anger 'round my neckSaint Anger 'round my neckHe never gets respectSaint Anger 'round my neck(You flush it out, you flush it out)Saint Anger 'round my neck(you flush it out, you flush it out)He never gets respect(you flush it out, you flush it out)Saint Anger 'round my neck(You flush it out, you flush it out)He never gets respect**** it all and no regrets,I hit the lights on these dark sets.I need a voice to let myselfTo let myself go free.**** it all and ****in' no regrets,I hit the lights on these dark sets.Medallion noose, I'll hang myself.Saint Anger 'round my neckI feel my world shakeLike an earthquakeHard to see clearIs it me? Is it fear?I'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youSaint Anger 'round my neckSaint Anger 'round my neckHe never gets respectSaint Anger 'round my neck(You flush it out, you flush it out)Saint Anger 'round my neck(You flush it out, you flush it out)He never gets respect(You flush it out, you flush it out)Saint Anger 'round my neck(You flush it out, you flush it out)He never gets respect(oohh)**** it all and no regrets,I hit the lights on these dark sets.I need a voice to let myselfTo let myself go free.**** it all and ****in' no regrets,I hit the lights on these dark sets.Let down your noose, I'll hang myself.Saint Anger 'round my neckI feel my world shakeLike an earthquakeHard to see clearIs it me? Is it fear?I'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youand I want my anger to be healthyand I want my anger just for meand I need my anger not to controlyeah, and I want my anger to be meand I need to set my anger freeand I need to set my anger freeand I need to set my anger freeand I need to set my anger freeSET IT FREE!**** it all and no regrets,I hit the lights on these dark sets.I need a voice to let myselfTo let myself go free.**** it all and ****in' no regrets,I hit the lights on these dark sets.Let down your noose, I'll hang myself.Saint Anger 'round my neckI feel my world shakeLike an earthquakeHard to see clearIs it me? Is it fear?I'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youYeah, that really stands up on it's own.2) The "shitty bands" i've mentioned are slayer/testament and king Diamond/Mercyful Fate. I could give a sht less about slayer or testament's lyrics, to be honest ( though some of them are funny), but if you think those Slayer/testament bands are "shtty" but metalica is good, then you're an idiot. But King Diamond is the greatest actual singer in Metal, and it's really not even close. I think Hetfield's singing is corny and terrible, but if you like it better than slayer/testament, fantastic, w/e. But Diamond is basically the only real singer in metal except for maybe Halford. 3) the metal bands that have "great lyrics" don't exist. Most metal heads are musical savants, and are basically retarded otherwise. Some of them have delusions of grandeur in their lyrics, but it just ends up being hilarious. Metal lyrics can only make me laugh, there is never anything inspiring or uplifting or educational about them, and if you think "Master of Puppet's" lyrics are deep and inspiring, you're a fcking idiot.
1) if you think, then, that Metalica's lyrics "add something" you're an idiot. Metalica's lyrics are retarded. Here's an example...Saint Anger 'round my neckSaint Anger 'round my neckHe never gets respectSaint Anger 'round my neck(You flush it out, you flush it out)Saint Anger 'round my neck(you flush it out, you flush it out)He never gets respect(you flush it out, you flush it out)Saint Anger 'round my neck(You flush it out, you flush it out)He never gets respect**** it all and no regrets,I hit the lights on these dark sets.I need a voice to let myselfTo let myself go free.**** it all and ****in' no regrets,I hit the lights on these dark sets.Medallion noose, I'll hang myself.Saint Anger 'round my neckI feel my world shakeLike an earthquakeHard to see clearIs it me? Is it fear?I'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youSaint Anger 'round my neckSaint Anger 'round my neckHe never gets respectSaint Anger 'round my neck(You flush it out, you flush it out)Saint Anger 'round my neck(You flush it out, you flush it out)He never gets respect(You flush it out, you flush it out)Saint Anger 'round my neck(You flush it out, you flush it out)He never gets respect(oohh)**** it all and no regrets,I hit the lights on these dark sets.I need a voice to let myselfTo let myself go free.**** it all and ****in' no regrets,I hit the lights on these dark sets.Let down your noose, I'll hang myself.Saint Anger 'round my neckI feel my world shakeLike an earthquakeHard to see clearIs it me? Is it fear?I'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youand I want my anger to be healthyand I want my anger just for meand I need my anger not to controlyeah, and I want my anger to be meand I need to set my anger freeand I need to set my anger freeand I need to set my anger freeand I need to set my anger freeSET IT FREE!**** it all and no regrets,I hit the lights on these dark sets.I need a voice to let myselfTo let myself go free.**** it all and ****in' no regrets,I hit the lights on these dark sets.Let down your noose, I'll hang myself.Saint Anger 'round my neckI feel my world shakeLike an earthquakeHard to see clearIs it me? Is it fear?I'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youI'm madly in anger with youYeah, that really stands up on it's own.2) The "shitty bands" i've mentioned are slayer/testament and king Diamond/Mercyful Fate. I could give a sht less about slayer or testament's lyrics, to be honest ( though some of them are funny), but if you think those Slayer/testament bands are "shtty" but metalica is good, then you're an idiot. But King Diamond is the greatest actual singer in Metal, and it's really not even close. I think Hetfield's singing is corny and terrible, but if you like it better than slayer/testament, fantastic, w/e. But Diamond is basically the only real singer in metal except for maybe Halford. 3) the metal bands that have "great lyrics" don't exist. Most metal heads are musical savants, and are basically retarded otherwise. Some of them have delusions of grandeur in their lyrics, but it just ends up being hilarious. Metal lyrics can only make me laugh, there is never anything inspiring or uplifting or educational about them, and if you think "Master of Puppet's" lyrics are deep and inspiring, you're a fcking idiot.
lol settle down there taking this abit seriously with the 'fkin idiots'I never mentioned anywhere that all of metallica's lyrics were good.... at the start of my comment i completely wrote off anything but their first three albums so quoting st.anger is pretty stupid.I think most metal fans won't agree with you when you say there are not bands with 'great lyrics', Seems like of the great metal bands lyrics play a pretty major role whether they're 'funny' to you, or not. Though i will agree in the case of the bands you've mentioned the lyrics make up a lesser part of the band purely because they tend to be heavier than the older metal bands.you seem to be talking mostly about late 80's early 90's Thrash/death metal while i am talking more about the metal of the 70's and early 80's.
I think most metal fans won't agree with you when you say there are not bands with 'great lyric
I wouldn't trust most metal fans to feed my fish, much less take their taste in lyric seriously
I never mentioned anywhere that all of metallica's lyrics were good.... at the start of my comment i completely wrote off anything but their first three albums so quoting st.anger is pretty stupid.
A great writer doesn't lose the ability of write when they turn 40. If anything, Hetfield's lyric writing ability should be greater as he's gotten older, what with life experience, practice writing, w/e. But, if you really think their lyrics were great back in their first three album era, feel free to slap them up here, and I'll feel free to laugh.
lyou seem to be talking mostly about late 80's early 90's Thrash/death metal while i am talking more about the metal of the 70's and early 80's.
Oh, so like Motorhead and Sabbath then? LOL
  • 2 weeks later...
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but slipknot ain't metal.
Scram's story was entertaining.I definitely wouldn't call Slipknot metal, I'd classify them more as gay.
slipknots definitly not metal but im more into metal core and tech metal like August Burns Red and Between the buried and me, dont know if we have any other hardcore listeners around here
Ah..............sheez..................I don't know how to tell you this,.................oh wow..........this is awkward......but.....um...........here goes, YES, YES IT IS. Can any of you explain your reasoning how they are not metal?
No, but when I was younger, whenever we saw a metal-looking dude, one of us would stick our arm out the car window, make the horns and holler out "SLAYERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" in a low pitched, nefarious voice. They usually just looked at us, but about 20% of the time, they would make the horns back and say "RIGHT ON!"Then, for the rest of the day we would randomly make the horns and say "SLAYERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" to people we encountered, as a surrogate for the word "Yes".At McDonalds:Q: Would you like fries with that?A: "SLAYERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"At the Pool Hall:Q: Your pool table will be ready in 15 minutes, OK?A: "SLAYERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"At the bookstore:Q: I'm short on quarters, do you have exact change by any chance?A: "SLAYERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"
This reminds me of the drunken high school ex football star that graduated 9 years ago still wearing his letterman jacket.

Some of their songs are considered metal I really like Clutch. Great live band as well. Best metal concert Ive been to was Anthrax, Sepultura and Bio Hazard many moons ago great trio of bands to watch.

Convenient you choose a track off St. Anger to represent Metallica. Definitely their best stuff... ::slow dull clap::

...there’s a critique of Black Sabbath and maybe of pre-death/black metal running through it: something about how that music has an emotional value that gets discounted because the feelings are a little knottier or less traditionally musical. Like, sad songs tend to be about great romantic sadness. But what about when a person is bummed out because maybe there’s no God? Those feelings are valid too, and metal addresses it and gets called “cheesy” — I think that’s a little weird...
http://www.thelmagazine.com/6/17/musicolog...re1.cfm?ctype=2
  • 7 months later...

Repost from somewhere else:4 Extreme Metal Albums One Might EnjoyImmortal - Pure Holocaust (1993)One of a handful of albums that defined the genre of black metal. A bunch of allegedly earnest scandis in corpse paint, blast beats, the vocals sound like a creature from Lord of the Rings taking a shit. It's probably best to listen to this alone, in winter, while drinking an Imperial Stout. LinkKrallice - s/t (2008)Contemporary, progressive black metal based here in Brooklyn. None of the theatrics, the vocals sound slightly more human, the music is drone-y in a different way. It's a slightly more ambient approach, but comes off just as nihilistic in my opinion. LinkBehold...The Arctopus - Skullgrid (2007)This feels dirty, because this band shares a common member with Krallice. I'm over it. These guys make music that doesn't sound like anything you've ever heard. It has elements of grindcore and experimental/progressive metal, and is influenced by classical composition and jazz. It has some parts that are very mathy, and some that are kinda epic. Most of all, they are just extremely talented musicians. Oh and their "bassist" plays a Warr guitar, look it up, that thing is badass. LinkSuffocation - Piecred From Within (1995)These guys did brutal/technical death metal just about as good as it can be done. Perfect blend of just relentless heaviness and masterful musicianship. LinkAll download links are to waffles.fm torrents. If you need an invite, I have some spares, just PM me your email address.

• 3 months later...
Repost from somewhere else:4 Extreme Metal Albums One Might EnjoyBehold...The Arctopus - Skullgrid (2007)This feels dirty, because this band shares a common member with Krallice. I'm over it. These guys make music that doesn't sound like anything you've ever heard. It has elements of grindcore and experimental/progressive metal, and is influenced by classical composition and jazz. It has some parts that are very mathy, and some that are kinda epic. Most of all, they are just extremely talented musicians. Oh and their "bassist" plays a Warr guitar, look it up, that thing is badass. Link
I recently dl's this, and I like it alot.