David Blaine

They are literally cheap tricks that anyone can buy and perform.Nothing special about them.
I mean...I understand that it's not actually magic, and therefore anyone can do them (whether they're for sale or not). It's just that not many people actually do do (heh) them, and he performs them very well. Again, I'm just talking about the better card tricks, not the dives of death or cheap "cap in a bottle" tricks.
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean...I understand that it's not actually magic, and therefore anyone can do them (whether they're for sale or not). It's just that not many people actually do do (heh) them, and he performs them very well. Again, I'm just talking about the better card tricks, not the dives of death or cheap "cap in a bottle" tricks.
I agree that his street magic is pretty cool, but what I don't get about david blaine is how he goes from the neat street magic card trick thing to sitting on top of a pole for a while or sitting in a block of ice for a long time. those aren't tricks, they're annoyances.
I agree that his street magic is pretty cool, but what I don't get about david blaine is how he goes from the neat street magic card trick thing to sitting on top of a pole for a while or sitting in a block of ice for a long time. those aren't tricks, they're annoyances.
He's an attention whore just like Chris Angel, who tried a live TV performance a few months ago here in Clearwater. It was just as horrible.
Concur, although they're kind of impressive in some ways.
Concur, although they're kind of impressive in some ways.
yeah, but impressive like my accountant joke (yes, it was funny, assholes) on the first page. impressive like "hey look, he did, uh, something."
yeah, but impressive like my accountant joke (yes, it was funny, assholes) on the first page. impressive like "hey look, he did, uh, something."
I consider something to be at least mildly impressive if I don't think I could do it. I'm way too...something...to do his endurance stunts, and the breath holding thing is way way way beyond me.Yes, your accountant joke was impressive. I'd never have the balls to type that out and hit "Add Reply".SHAPOW!

I don't know why there so much David Blaine hate here. I think he's very entertaining and impressive. Just because his stunts aren't necessarily illusions doesn't mean that they're not impressive? Would you guys have the same feelings if he never in the first place claimed to be a magician and instead was simply a physical performer? Why does the fact that he's also an accomplished magician lesson his stunts and visa versa?Also,

I don't know why there so much David Blaine hate here. I think he's very entertaining and impressive. Just because his stunts aren't necessarily illusions doesn't mean that they're not impressive? Would you guys have the same feelings if he never in the first place claimed to be a magician and instead was simply a physical performer? Why does the fact that he's also an accomplished magician lesson his stunts and visa versa?Also,
WHAT THE EFF?!
Post #33 in this thread. I'm not usually first with this stuff, so let me enjoy it!
They are literally cheap tricks that anyone can buy and perform.Nothing special about them.
not trying to defend Blaine, but as someone a bit interested in magic tricks, I have to say these statements are wrong.most tricks, especially street magic ones, are sold, and really most of them are fairly cheap.however, that absolutely does not mean anyone can do it. when you buy a trick, you get to understand the mechanics of it, but that's the simple part. to be able to perform and entertain is completely different and involves a LOT of practice.
not trying to defend Blaine, but as someone a bit interested in magic tricks, I have to say these statements are wrong.most tricks, especially street magic ones, are sold, and really most of them are fairly cheap.however, that absolutely does not mean anyone can do it. when you buy a trick, you get to understand the mechanics of it, but that's the simple part. to be able to perform and entertain is completely different and involves a LOT of practice.
His tricks are simple. The mechanics of his tricks are simple, and he has absolutely no charisma when performing. He gets way more credit than he really deserves in the world of magic. To each their own though. No problem with liking his magic, and if it's entertaining to you, then don't let some ******* like me tell you otherwise.I actually like his challenges though. Do a search for Oz Pearlman on youtube, and watch some of his videos.
His tricks are simple. The mechanics of his tricks are simple, and he has absolutely no charisma when performing. He gets way more credit than he really deserves in the world of magic. To each their own though. No problem with liking his magic, and if it's entertaining to you, then don't let some ******* like me tell you otherwise.I actually like his challenges though. Do a search for Oz Pearlman on youtube, and watch some of his videos.
you must be into magic yourself, I assume?
you must be into magic yourself, I assume?
Correct assumption. I used to drag my parents to the magic shop when I was 10 just to watch the owner do tricks, and then try to make them buy me said tricks. When I was really into it, I could do your basic sleight of hand coin and card magic. Had a few tricks that were pretty much self working. As much as I've been bad mouthing Blaine, he's still better than I ever was.There's nothing wrong with liking him. I just know there are a ton of other magicians out there who would own Blaine in every category.I've seen Copperfield perform 4 times, and may go see him again in January. My greatest memory was seeing him perform this trick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm3EWeaEgvM Not the most difficult of card tricks, but when I saw him do it, I was definitely impressed.
His tricks are simple. The mechanics of his tricks are simple, and he has absolutely no charisma when performing.
I mean...it seems like you're just kind of bitter because you think he's a jackass. Some of his tricks are definitely impressive. And of course he has charisma...it's just a weird and freakish kind of charisma that doesn't make people like him as much as it freaks them out.
I mean...it seems like you're just kind of bitter because you think he's a jackass. Some of his tricks are definitely impressive. And of course he has charisma...it's just a weird and freakish kind of charisma that doesn't make people like him as much as it freaks them out.
Impressive to the general public.Just not to me. Still pals?

He did break the record for holding his breath underwater on Oprah. No one really talked about that. Breaking a World Guiness Record is a huge accomplishment. I like the fact he tries to be real unlike criss angel who uses trick camerawork to make his illusions look real. Blaine cant afford that luxury on his Live specials. Everything he does is without trick photography. Its easy for criss angel to perform his tricks when he has all the time in the world to Edit & re-edit for his 30 mintue program. I think it takes more guts to do everything live & with a real audience not like the actors criss angel pays for them to say "yeah, we've never met". At least give Blaine credit for "trying" to be real. In this case it obviously didnt work out. It probably would have though had he been afforded the opportunity at 30 takes that criss angel probably takes.

I like the fact he tries to be real unlike criss angel who uses trick camerawork to make his illusions look real. Blaine cant afford that luxury on his Live specials. Everything he does is without trick photography. Its easy for criss angel to perform his tricks when he has all the time in the world to Edit & re-edit for his 30 mintue program. I think it takes more guts to do everything live & with a real audience not like the actors criss angel pays for them to say "yeah, we've never met". At least give Blaine credit for "trying" to be real. In this case it obviously didnt work out. It probably would have though had he been afforded the opportunity at 30 takes that criss angel probably takes.
This has to be David Blaines fake account.