If Money Was Eliminated From Society, Would You Still Play Poker?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prison is a perfect example of not needing actual dollars to gamble. Anything of worth can be used to gamble.Someone needs to read up on their history.
yeah, I don't think he was talking about dollars, really. I think he was what if our society transformed into to a star trek utopia, without currency or even trade and barter... lets not get bogged down by the details. And the answer is, yes, of course they would. even in a currency-less star trek utopia, chicks and robots love poker..292px-Entd-staff-poker-agt.jpgDataPoker.jpg

we have over-domesticated our dogs. this means they would have no survival skills if they were released back in to the wild. this puts the onus on us to protect our dogs.the same is true of cows. well, growing up on the farm i came in to contact with a group who were in to cow fighting. they'd raise these cows to fight. give them a taste of blood. 'blooded' was the term. once a cow has a taste for violence, it reverts. becomes feral. many a feral cow escaped these trainers and formed packs that would rove through the forests and terrorize the townsfolk at night.the actual cow fighting was... time consuming. it could take days for one to take down the other in the four-sided ring. well, the square. they called it the ring. (i once went ring-shopping and asked the clerk for a square. that ended badly.) eventually, a rule was added whereby once a cow fell asleep the owners of the other cow could knock it over, 'killing' it. (note the correct use of air quotes-- the cow was not in fact dead, merely stunned.) this brilliant rule changed the fight from days to at most 18 hours. cows need their sleep, my friend, cows need their sleep.if ever you are travelling in the country and here the clunky clang of a cowbell, run. run, and don't look back. alternatively, you could also drive if you have a vehicle. set a rule for yourself where you will run only if you have no other conveyance faster than running. beware the feral cow packs. they hunger.

Hint #1: Asia isn't a country it's a continent made up of a number of countries and only some of them are communist.Hint #2: Even the countries that are communist aren't communist.As long as you can come up with something scarce you can play poker. Even if it's an artificial scarcity like play money chips. If we lived in a world where you didn't need money and nothing else was scarce (ie: sexual favors) then we could just play for play money in a closed system. IE play for the thrill of the competition.
I realize the ignorance of the statement, i was in a rush to get it on the first page!!!You get what i mean, you said basically the same thing.Any thing of value or unique item would you consider scarce?Or can we blame the whole love for money thing on the Jews? (J/k) "No offense to the orientals, but we run what we call 'jap plays'". --Who said it?
poker is a male dominated sport
I'm thinking more along the lines of sex credits. These credits can be redeemed with the wife, with the lady you really like but are afraid to talk to, with your friends wife, at the Rhino......no questions asked.I really think that it would take off.
we have over-domesticated our dogs. this means they would have no survival skills if they were released back in to the wild. this puts the onus on us to protect our dogs.the same is true of cows. well, growing up on the farm i came in to contact with a group who were in to cow fighting. they'd raise these cows to fight. give them a taste of blood. 'blooded' was the term. once a cow has a taste for violence, it reverts. becomes feral. many a feral cow escaped these trainers and formed packs that would rove through the forests and terrorize the townsfolk at night.the actual cow fighting was... time consuming. it could take days for one to take down the other in the four-sided ring. well, the square. they called it the ring. (i once went ring-shopping and asked the clerk for a square. that ended badly.) eventually, a rule was added whereby once a cow fell asleep the owners of the other cow could knock it over, 'killing' it. (note the correct use of air quotes-- the cow was not in fact dead, merely stunned.) this brilliant rule changed the fight from days to at most 18 hours. cows need their sleep, my friend, cows need their sleep.if ever you are travelling in the country and here the clunky clang of a cowbell, run. run, and don't look back. alternatively, you could also drive if you have a vehicle. set a rule for yourself where you will run only if you have no other conveyance faster than running. beware the feral cow packs. they hunger.
:D:D:ts:D:4h:club::D:5c:3h
Any thing of value or unique item would you consider scarce?
I'm not sure that a world w/o scarcity could exist or that it would be a good thing if it could. But my point was that even in a world w/o scarcity you can play poker if you invent an artificial scarcity.Look at play money poker. It sucks because there's no scarcity. You get chips for free and if you blow them you get more.But lets say that you got 100 play chips per month. No more. And the guy who collected the most play chips was acknowledged as the greatest poker player in the world. In this situation play money poker wouldn't suck because people would take it seriously and try their best to accumulate as many chips as possible.Of course this introduces a new scarcity into the world and that's the accolades with collecting the most chips.Think of it like an upper middle class family playing for pennies and bragging rights. The bragging rights are worth more than the pennies.
Would we all just eat fruit that somehow appeared each day and lay around in the sun next to the water while we wait for our turn to be eaten by the underground mutants?
H.G. Wells The Time Machine ftw, lol! :D:ts:4h:D:club:
I love you, I think.
I realize the ignorance of the statement, i was in a rush to get it on the first page!!!You get what i mean, you said basically the same thing.Any thing of value or unique item would you consider scarce?Or can we blame the whole love for money thing on the Jews? (J/k) "No offense to the orientals, but we run what we call 'jap plays'". --Who said it?
I think I've found your problem.

I love the game of poker for the competition, the psychology, the never-ending quest to improve, the advanced and sometimes minute complexities not everyone sees when they play, and the enjoyment of succeeding after giving all your energy to reach a goal that may at first seem unattainable but that you find a way to make it possible. :club::ts:D :D :4h

I love the game of poker for the competition, the psychology, the never-ending quest to improve, the advanced and sometimes minute complexities not everyone sees when they play, and the enjoyment of succeeding after giving all your energy to reach a goal that may at first seem unattainable but that you find a way to make it possible. :club::ts:D :D :4h
That's the way champions think :-)
I'm not sure that a world w/o scarcity could exist or that it would be a good thing if it could. But my point was that even in a world w/o scarcity you can play poker if you invent an artificial scarcity.Look at play money poker. It sucks because there's no scarcity. You get chips for free and if you blow them you get more.But lets say that you got 100 play chips per month. No more. And the guy who collected the most play chips was acknowledged as the greatest poker player in the world. In this situation play money poker wouldn't suck because people would take it seriously and try their best to accumulate as many chips as possible.Of course this introduces a new scarcity into the world and that's the accolades with collecting the most chips.Think of it like an upper middle class family playing for pennies and bragging rights. The bragging rights are worth more than the pennies.
isn't this communism?
Yea, that one line pretty much sums up communism in its entirety
not literally, but if you are given a certain amount of something just cause, like everyone else. It would be common and not capital, right?

I'd still play poker, but id play for things that could be bartered.or sometimes my buddies are too cheap to play for money, so we put stupid things at stake, like first out mows the winners lawn, or has to be the next person to drive on the next fishing trip, etc