I bought a poker table last weekend and am hoping to start a weekly cash game at my house. Most of the crew that I am inviting are coming from a game I usually attend with 0.10/0.20 blinds. We usually do a lot of crazy straddles like double and triple straddles just b/c people are drunk and having fun. So, I'm gonna make it a standard 50NL game, 0.25/0.50 blinds with 20 min. - 50 max buy-ins. I want to keep the straddles going thought b/c they create a lot of action and get people to make some really bad plays.So my questions:Which kind of straddle should I use? And what are the rules behind this straddle, i.e., what should I enforce?From what info I have found Mississippi Straddle seems fairly common. And the rules from what I remember: -Any one can straddle (buy the button) with the button having first option and UTG having last option. The straddler will be last to act preflop and regular play presumes post-flop.-There is no limit to the amount you can straddle for.-Another player can straddle the original straddle by at least doubling the original straddle and will therefore be last to act preflop.Any other rules I am missing? Also, when is the time a person can straddle? Is it when the first card is in the air or when they have cards?Sorry for all the questions. I want to make it a fair game and make correct rulings if there is any confusion.

I bought a poker table last weekend and am hoping to start a weekly cash game at my house. Most of the crew that I am inviting are coming from a game I usually attend with 0.10/0.20 blinds. We usually do a lot of crazy straddles like double and triple straddles just b/c people are drunk and having fun. So, I'm gonna make it a standard 50NL game, 0.25/0.50 blinds with 20 min. - 50 max buy-ins. I want to keep the straddles going thought b/c they create a lot of action and get people to make some really bad plays.So my questions:Which kind of straddle should I use? And what are the rules behind this straddle, i.e., what should I enforce?From what info I have found Mississippi Straddle seems fairly common. And the rules from what I remember: -Any one can straddle (buy the button) with the button having first option and UTG having last option. The straddler will be last to act preflop and regular play presumes post-flop.-There is no limit to the amount you can straddle for.-Another player can straddle the original straddle by at least doubling the original straddle and will therefore be last to act preflop.Any other rules I am missing? Also, when is the time a person can straddle? Is it when the first card is in the air or when they have cards?Sorry for all the questions. I want to make it a fair game and make correct rulings if there is any confusion.
I don't get this bit
If you're looking to increase action why not allow $100 max buy-in? Especially with straddles and double straddles $50 is very short.
I wish I could make it $100 max and I might one day, but most of the guys I play with are pretty broke and I doubt they would come back if they're sitting with 20 and others with 100. I figured I'd make it about the same as an online 50NL game.

Make the buy-in 20 min and big stack max. That is everyone buys in for 20 to start and when someone doubles the everyone can then buy for 40 and so on. This allows money to slowly seep onto the table and you'll end up with far more in play than if people just bring one buy-in and then they're done. Plus if you're in for 20 and get stacked you want to buy back for 40 etc.Rather than straddles why not use antes? I think antes in NLHE cash make a lot of sense. To make things easy I'd do a button ante of twice the BB (though you can go bigger if you want). It doesn't mess with who gets to act first/last, it's mandatory and since the ante is dead it should encourage more mistakes from the B than a straddle.

• 3 years later...

Could someone please clarify straddle rules.

1st scenario :Blinds are $1-2 utg straddles to 4, next player to 8, next player only has $12 and wants to keep straddle going (can he put in the $12 and it counts as a straddle?).Next player wants to keep the straddle going ,so can he straddle ? and what amount? $16? $24? or should it be $32 like it would of been if $12 stack had full amount?

2nd scenario : Blinds $1-2 utg straddles 4, next player 8 next player has only $8 or less (would this count as a blind call and no more straddling ?) or can next player continue straddle and if so, what amount would he need to put into pot?