Mixed Game Challenge Thread

i didnt wanna start a new thread so i guess ill put this in here. Zeejustin who was banned from stars in Feb. 06 for MA has been reinstated today and is playing some 40/80 8-gamefrom his blog:I'm sure some will always disagree, but I feel that I have paid my dues. Not only by serving my time, but by acting ethically and responsibly in all facets of life. PokerStars apparently agrees with my point of view. Here is an excerpt of their statement: " 'ZeeJustin' has served a long punishment; he has expressed regret for his actions to us and to the entire poker community; and he has even become a crusader for fair play. Consequently, he has earned the respect of many of his peers.Though some in the poker world will never forgive him for what he did, many already have. While we do not condone his actions in the past, we do accept they are now in the past, so 'ZeeJustin' is now welcome to play on PokerStars again."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, he's never leading into a capped-PF flop on that turn with any kind of draw (T9 really the only draw out there).The only hand the turn improves is KJ...The only hand you really fear here is JJ/AA.. As KK can't be in Playa's range.. It might be in Troyos, but if he's got 2 kings and you have one, what is Playa leading turn with? JJ?Meh... This seems more like a situation where you caught the only card that would cost you money on the turn. The 6-handed nature here makes it silly to think you are up against AA and JJ, but i think Playa only leads that turn with KJ or a set.. You'd have to have history w/ said player to give him credit for being suicidal in that spot.

Well, he's never leading into a capped-PF flop on that turn with any kind of draw (T9 really the only draw out there).The only hand the turn improves is KJ...The only hand you really fear here is JJ/AA.. As KK can't be in Playa's range.. It might be in Troyos, but if he's got 2 kings and you have one, what is Playa leading turn with? JJ?Meh... This seems more like a situation where you caught the only card that would cost you money on the turn. The 6-handed nature here makes it silly to think you are up against AA and JJ, but i think Playa only leads that turn with KJ or a set.. You'd have to have history w/ said player to give him credit for being suicidal in that spot.
Are you advocating a turn fold after troyomac's 3b and playa's flat? Getting like a billion to 1, closing the action, but certainly seems like a bad RIO spot, and like no rivers improve aucu's hand.
Are you advocating a turn fold after troyomac's 3b and playa's flat? Getting like a billion to 1, closing the action, but certainly seems like a bad RIO spot, and like no rivers improve aucu's hand.
I dunno.. I'm no 6handed expert (believe you me) but the board doesn't match the betting. It's not draw-heavy at all... People are going nuts. I mean, if you can give Playa credit for firing light into 2 other people who capped PF, then fine.. Call.. But on weird, dry rainbowy boards with 2 people going nuts on either side of you, there's gotta be AA, top two, or a set involved 8-9 times out of ten. I mean, sure, Playa could have KQ or something. But is he really calling 2 bets after checking on the flop with KJ? Hell, is he even checking the flop w/ a Jack? Passively coming along for the ride, he's likely on either a draw or a set.. But he's not donking turn with T9 after that PF and flop action. That's insane. Turn donk screams more like "Please god have a king, someone and lets keep the capping a comin'"And lordy, once you are 3bet behind on the turn... If that doesnt set off alarm bells you really have no pulse whatsoever.Once again, it's pretty gross to hit that king giving the wild action, but i don't think TPTK is good here even 2 times out of ten. If you're raising turn for info (like Hellmuth tells us to lol), we sure got it, in spades. There isn't even anything really to semi bluff with.. Is QT making it to the turn? Capping PF? Really?
Would you have played this much different?PokerStars Game #26626123822: 8-Game (Hold'em Limit, $4/$8) - 2009/04/01 22:56:24 ETTable 'Hudrus IX' 6-max Seat #5 is the buttonSeat 1: aucu ($292.45 in chips) Seat 2: ReXoPouLos ($214 in chips) Seat 3: Bo$$playa425 ($290.25 in chips) Seat 4: troyomac ($96.95 in chips) Seat 5: Failing ($161 in chips) Seat 6: PlayaAAK8 ($933.10 in chips) PlayaAAK8: posts small blind $2ReXoPouLos said, "wanted to get rid of him"Failing said, "i just wanted to use the word strategem"ReXoPouLos said, "10 9 is never gonna hold"aucu: posts big blind $4*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to aucu [Kh Ad]ReXoPouLos: folds Bo$$playa425: folds troyomac: raises $4 to $8Failing: calls $8PlayaAAK8: calls $6aucu: raises $4 to $12troyomac: raises $4 to $16Betting is cappedFailing: calls $8PlayaAAK8: calls $8aucu: calls $4*** FLOP *** [5c Js 8d]PlayaAAK8: checks aucu: bets $4troyomac: raises $4 to $8Failing: calls $8PlayaAAK8: calls $8aucu: calls $4*** TURN *** [5c Js 8d] [Kc]Failing said, "why am i such a loser"PlayaAAK8: bets $8aucu: raises $8 to $16troyomac: raises $8 to $24Failing: folds PlayaAAK8: calls $16ReXoPouLos said, "its the company u keep"aucu: calls $8*** RIVER *** [5c Js 8d Kc] [2d]Failing said, "i might puke"PlayaAAK8: checks aucu: checks troyomac: bets $8PlayaAAK8: calls $8aucu: calls $8*** SHOW DOWN ***
what is ray's range here, honestly?AA, AK, set. dassit. three combos, four combos, 7 combos, respectively. we are paying 8 dollars to go after half of a pot at best, and i think that the other guy has us beat as well. raise/fold the turn, imo, as sick as that sounds, unless ray is nutbarring.

I'm never really sure of what to do on 5th here.Hand #268499065967 Card Stud *High-Low* ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 *3rd Street* - (0.70 SB)mofoers: xx xx Jh___callssharkbait2: xx xx 4h___callsLady Aces: xx xx 2d___foldswatchmetakeu: xx xx 2c___*brings-in*___foldsgfdsa146: Qh Qd 2s___raisesBedHead: xx xx As___foldsAchillesOH: xx xx 9h___folds*4th Street* - (4.20 SB)mofoers: xx xx Jh 7d___*checks*___callssharkbait2: xx xx 4h 8c___checks___callsgfdsa146: Qh Qd 2s 6s___bets*5th Street* - (3.60 BB)mofoers: xx xx Jh 7d 8s___checkssharkbait2: xx xx 4h 8c 8d___*checks*gfdsa146: Qh Qd 2s 6s 7s___checks*6th Street* - (3.60 BB)mofoers: xx xx Jh 7d 8s 5h___foldssharkbait2: xx xx 4h 8c 8d Ks___*checks*___callsgfdsa146: Qh Qd 2s 6s 7s Tc___bets*River* - (5.60 BB)sharkbait2: xx xx 4h 8c 8d Ks xx___*checks*___foldsgfdsa146: Qh Qd 2s 6s 7s Tc 9s___bets*Total pot:* (5.60 BB)

I'm never really sure of what to do on 5th here.Hand #268499065967 Card Stud *High-Low* ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 *3rd Street* - (0.70 SB)mofoers: xx xx Jh___callssharkbait2: xx xx 4h___callsLady Aces: xx xx 2d___foldswatchmetakeu: xx xx 2c___*brings-in*___foldsgfdsa146: Qh Qd 2s___raisesBedHead: xx xx As___foldsAchillesOH: xx xx 9h___folds*4th Street* - (4.20 SB)mofoers: xx xx Jh 7d___*checks*___callssharkbait2: xx xx 4h 8c___checks___callsgfdsa146: Qh Qd 2s 6s___bets*5th Street* - (3.60 BB)mofoers: xx xx Jh 7d 8s___checkssharkbait2: xx xx 4h 8c 8d___*checks*gfdsa146: Qh Qd 2s 6s 7s___checks*6th Street* - (3.60 BB)mofoers: xx xx Jh 7d 8s 5h___foldssharkbait2: xx xx 4h 8c 8d Ks___*checks*___callsgfdsa146: Qh Qd 2s 6s 7s Tc___bets*River* - (5.60 BB)sharkbait2: xx xx 4h 8c 8d Ks xx___*checks*___foldsgfdsa146: Qh Qd 2s 6s 7s Tc 9s___bets*Total pot:* (5.60 BB)
I'd go ahead and bet it. Your hand is going to look very scary from villains' perspectives with the three low suited cards, especially after you raised on 3rd. What looks strange, however, is the check on 5th followed by the bet on 6th. By not betting 5th you're basically revealing that you don't have a low or a flush, or a big draw. Then you go ahead and bet the Ten when one of the villains potentially hits a low hand with the 5. It just doesn't seem to fit together well for me.
I'd go ahead and bet it. Your hand is going to look very scary from villains' perspectives with the three low suited cards, especially after you raised on 3rd. What looks strange, however, is the check on 5th followed by the bet on 6th. By not betting 5th you're basically revealing that you don't have a low or a flush, or a big draw. Then you go ahead and bet the Ten when one of the villains potentially hits a low hand with the 5. It just doesn't seem to fit together well for me.
The reason I checked 5th and then bet 6th was because of sharkbait. I was unsure if he made 2-pair on 5th or trips. Being a sissy, I checked behind on 5th. However, after him seeing check on 6th, I figured that there was no way sharkbait was going to check two-pair or trips two streets in a row so I figured I was ahead. As far as one of the villains potentially hitting a low (I assume that you're talking about mofoers) the type of junk that he would have had to play on 3rd street to make a low on 6th would suck so much that it would be uncommon, despite how much PS players suck.Agreed that my hand no longer has the threatening-ness that it might have had if I bet on 5th. But if I'm ahead on 6th, I'm still betting to protect my hand/charge low or two-pair draws.
You don't have to play that hand on 3rd street with a small ante and the game being so loose. As played though, you should definately bet on 5th street since you caught such a GOOD bluffing card.
You don't have to play that hand on 3rd street with a small ante and the game being so loose. As played though, you should definately bet on 5th street since you caught such a GOOD bluffing card.
Actually with an A door behind you I think it is a mistake, right?
what is ray's range here, honestly?AA, AK, set. dassit. three combos, four combos, 7 combos, respectively. we are paying 8 dollars to go after half of a pot at best, and i think that the other guy has us beat as well. raise/fold the turn, imo, as sick as that sounds, unless ray is nutbarring.
He was playing normal no nutbar

Hand #270308888507 Card Stud *High-Low* ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 *3rd Street* - (0.80 SB)Player A: xx xx Ks___foldsPlayer B: xx xx 9h___calls___callsPlayer C: xx xx Js___foldsPlayer D: xx xx 6d___raisesPlayer E: xx xx 9c___foldsPlayer F: xx xx Ah___foldsPlayer G: xx xx 4d___callsPlayer H: xx xx 2c___*brings-in*___calls*4th Street* - (4.80 SB)Player B: xx xx 9h Jh___checks___callsPlayer D: xx xx 6d 4s___betsPlayer G: xx xx 4d 5d___callsPlayer H: xx xx 2c Qh___*checks*___folds*5th Street* - (3.90 BB)Player B: xx xx 9h Jh 5s___*checks*___callsPlayer D: xx xx 6d 4s Td___betsPlayer G: xx xx 4d 5d Jc___calls*6th Street* - (6.90 BB)Player B: xx xx 9h Jh 5s 3s___Player D: xx xx 6d 4s Td Qd___Player G: xx xx 4d 5d Jc Kd___*bets*What range do you assign Player G after he bets 6th street? Player G has played pretty standard-ly, no glaring mistakes or soul reads. He's been betting when he's supposed to like if he had xx xx Ad 2c up against boards like xx xx 3d Js with a large portion of his range. He's also been folding when he supposed to like if he has 8s 5c 3d Td to a bet from a xx xx 5d 6h board. Player B is an unknown and new to the table.

He's got 37 with one diamond obv.Honestly I have no idea but he shouldn't have paired that K, I think a large portion of his range is some sorta combo draw like gut shot, 7 low, flush draw. I didn't check the dead cards too thoroughly but I think that makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing horse the last couple of weeks.Want to read something on strategy, even just starting hand requirements....anyone?

Been playing horse the last couple of weeks.Want to read something on strategy, even just starting hand requirements....anyone?
Sure, I tend to play the micro limits so anything on how you need to change strategy against weaker players would be good.
I have no starting hand requirements :club:
Which limits are you playing? Do you want advice for every game?
Which limits are you playing? Do you want advice for every game?
.05/.1Yeah I'm looking for every game probably not hold em though.looking for links or advice.
.05/.1Yeah I'm looking for every game probably not hold em though.looking for links or advice.
In omaha8 you generally want an Ace and a card 5 or under. If one one of the other cards is suited with the ace, great. Hands like AKQJ should be mucked as well as JJT9. This is h/l not high only. You will find your straights being counterfeited by full houses or flushes on the river constantly. Go for nut low draws and try to hit str8s or flushes with them. If you have AA with a low card, play it hard. In razz, I suggest playing with 3 starting low cards 7 or under. This game isn't very hard to understand where you are most of the time. You can see a majority of your opponents card and they should tell you roughly where they stand. Look at the dead cards on 3rd that people fold and keep them in mind to understand if people might be bluffing on a paired card. If you are the last person to act after a bring in and have a low card showing and the bring in is a high card, I suggest attempting to steal 100% of the time.In stud, I suggest playing 3 coordinated cards, 3 suited cards and high pairs. Again, look at your opponents boards. Keep in mind what draws they could have with their door card on 3rd street and pick off bluffs when the draws don't come. In stud8, play 3 low cards 7 or under. 8 low draws can be very dangerous as they are weak. I suggest folding most pairs like J99 as you will find yourself in awkward positions. The goal is to go for low cards that turn into straights as well as lows that scoop the pot. I hope this helps, this is a rough guideline how I started playing. Once you get a feel for these concepts, open up your range as you feel necessary against certain opponents.
My advice? Start reading through the 58 pages in this thread. It starts off slow but there is a whole lot of good discussion about many of the games.
In omaha8 you generally want an Ace and a card 5 or under. If one one of the other cards is suited with the ace, great. Hands like AKQJ should be mucked as well as JJT9. This is h/l not high only. You will find your straights being counterfeited by full houses or flushes on the river constantly. Go for nut low draws and try to hit str8s or flushes with them. If you have AA with a low card, play it hard. In razz, I suggest playing with 3 starting low cards 7 or under. This game isn't very hard to understand where you are most of the time. You can see a majority of your opponents card and they should tell you roughly where they stand. Look at the dead cards on 3rd that people fold and keep them in mind to understand if people might be bluffing on a paired card. If you are the last person to act after a bring in and have a low card showing and the bring in is a high card, I suggest attempting to steal 100% of the time.In stud, I suggest playing 3 coordinated cards, 3 suited cards and high pairs. Again, look at your opponents boards. Keep in mind what draws they could have with their door card on 3rd street and pick off bluffs when the draws don't come. In stud8, play 3 low cards 7 or under. 8 low draws can be very dangerous as they are weak. I suggest folding most pairs like J99 as you will find yourself in awkward positions. The goal is to go for low cards that turn into straights as well as lows that scoop the pot. I hope this helps, this is a rough guideline how I started playing. Once you get a feel for these concepts, open up your range as you feel necessary against certain opponents.
thanks, i need a guideline-i'm playing way too many hands to a loss.
My advice? Start reading through the 58 pages in this thread. It starts off slow but there is a whole lot of good discussion about many of the games.
thanks, i got through the first few pages but gave up. i'll give it another run through.