Mixed Game Challenge Thread

You know that I used to be a 3betting machine, but I think there is plenty of room for cold-calling in 3d, as long as you are balanced.Thanks for the heads up on that match.
I will usually cold call if I'm in heads up situations with 2 card draws, but I tend to 3-bet when there is players behind me and then play appropriately on later streets.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PokerStars Game #25504170283: Triple Draw 2-7 Lowball Limit ($0.25/$0.50) - 2009/03/01 20:37:37 ETTable 'Summa III' 6-max Seat #6 is the buttonSeat 2: uniqueangel0 ($3.05 in chips) Seat 3: thenutz45 ($7.45 in chips) Seat 4: docminky ($16.35 in chips) Seat 6: danny purse ($18.95 in chips) uniqueangel0: posts small blind $0.10thenutz45: posts big blind $0.25*** DEALING HANDS ***Dealt to danny purse [Ks 9d 2s Ts 5d]docminky: folds danny purse: raises $0.25 to $0.50uniqueangel0: folds thenutz45: raises $0.25 to $0.75danny purse: calls $0.25*** FIRST DRAW ***thenutz45: discards 2 cardsdanny purse: discards 3 cards [Ks 9d Ts]Dealt to danny purse [2s 5d] [6d 4c Ac]thenutz45: bets $0.25danny purse: calls $0.25*** SECOND DRAW ***thenutz45: discards 1 carddanny purse: discards 1 card [Ac]Dealt to danny purse [2s 5d 6d 4c] [6s]thenutz45: checks danny purse: bets $0.50thenutz45: calls $0.50*** THIRD DRAW ***thenutz45: discards 1 carddanny purse: discards 1 card [6s]Dealt to danny purse [2s 5d 6d 4c] [8h]thenutz45: bets $0.50danny purse: raises $0.50 to $1At this point he requests time and starts to tank, I think he's pulling the reverse tell with the nuts and think I'm gonna have to fold to a 3bet, whenthenutz45: calls $0.50*** SHOW DOWN ***danny purse: shows [6d 4c 2s 8h 5d] (Lo: 8,6,5,4,2)thenutz45: mucks hand iwiiinok joins the table at seat #5 danny purse collected $4.90 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $5.10 | Rake $0.20 Seat 2: uniqueangel0 (small blind) folded before the DrawSeat 3: thenutz45 (big blind) mucked [3c 8d 2d 2c 7h]Seat 4: docminky folded before the Draw (didn't bet)Seat 6: danny purse (button) showed [6d 4c 2s 8h 5d] and won ($4.90) with Lo: 8,6,5,4,2Wow aside from the BBV of this hand, posting it just made me realize that I missed a raise after the first draw =\

I usually 3-bet or fold anything from any position besides the BB, I also think ponchero played the hand WAY to nitty.On a side note, Barry and Daniel will be playing some 400/800 8 game mix later tonight at 6:00 PST (what is this in relation to ET? I might rail) if you some of you guys havn't heard.
barryg1: good luckKidPoker: thanks you too. give me a couple minutesbarryg1: take your time, I'm in no hurryIt's on.

I had to go to page 4 to get this thread!! What's up!!! Mix gamers don't die on me, we are better then the NLHE/PLO freaks, come on brothers, post, post, POST!!!!! I started my challenge up again, I'm playing well since I decided to actually make an effort. The 8-game is so juicy, apparently even at 400/800 :club: Seriously I saw bad plays that even the 0.40/0.80 players wouldn't make, it was so halarious. Anyway, I'm up to $160, I will most likely post a few discussion questions, since you guys are always high and as a result never post in this uber fantastic thread :ts

uncooper, I'm assuming there's a whole lot of metagame stuff going on in that TD hand?
Not on my part. I think I played the hand very standard except the river raise. It was a while ago but I had reasons to think he would b/c a wide range of hands I mostly beat.If you mean his play, I don't think it is metagame as much as it is him sucking at poker. =)edit: actually as I noted above I really missed a raise after the first draw. So yea, besides that and my read-based river raise, standard.

I guess we have different ideas of standard. Is your idea of standard building the pot predraw so you can chase lots of hands? Putting 3 bets in and then drawing 3 doesn't strike me as being a high percentage way to play the game.

PokerStars Game #25504170283: Triple Draw 2-7 Lowball Limit ($0.25/$0.50) - 2009/03/01 20:37:37 ETTable 'Summa III' 6-max Seat #6 is the buttonSeat 2: uniqueangel0 ($3.05 in chips) Seat 3: thenutz45 ($7.45 in chips) Seat 4: docminky ($16.35 in chips) Seat 6: danny purse ($18.95 in chips) uniqueangel0: posts small blind $0.10thenutz45: posts big blind $0.25*** DEALING HANDS ***Dealt to danny purse [Ks 9d 2s Ts 5d]docminky: folds danny purse: raises $0.25 to $0.50uniqueangel0: folds thenutz45: raises $0.25 to $0.75danny purse: calls $0.25*** FIRST DRAW ***thenutz45: discards 2 cardsdanny purse: discards 3 cards [Ks 9d Ts]Dealt to danny purse [2s 5d] [6d 4c Ac]thenutz45: bets $0.25danny purse: calls $0.25*** SECOND DRAW ***thenutz45: discards 1 carddanny purse: discards 1 card [Ac]Dealt to danny purse [2s 5d 6d 4c] [6s]thenutz45: checks danny purse: bets $0.50thenutz45: calls $0.50*** THIRD DRAW ***thenutz45: discards 1 carddanny purse: discards 1 card [6s]Dealt to danny purse [2s 5d 6d 4c] [8h]thenutz45: bets $0.50danny purse: raises $0.50 to $1At this point he requests time and starts to tank, I think he's pulling the reverse tell with the nuts and think I'm gonna have to fold to a 3bet, whenthenutz45: calls $0.50*** SHOW DOWN ***danny purse: shows [6d 4c 2s 8h 5d] (Lo: 8,6,5,4,2)thenutz45: mucks hand iwiiinok joins the table at seat #5 danny purse collected $4.90 from pot*** SUMMARY ***Total pot $5.10 | Rake $0.20 Seat 2: uniqueangel0 (small blind) folded before the DrawSeat 3: thenutz45 (big blind) mucked [3c 8d 2d 2c 7h]Seat 4: docminky folded before the Draw (didn't bet)Seat 6: danny purse (button) showed [6d 4c 2s 8h 5d] and won ($4.90) with Lo: 8,6,5,4,2Wow aside from the BBV of this hand, posting it just made me realize that I missed a raise after the first draw =\
As you stated, you should have raised after the first draw. I think raising the river is standard since villain should be betting in that spot with a J or better.
I guess we have different ideas of standard. Is your idea of standard building the pot predraw so you can chase lots of hands? Putting 3 bets in and then drawing 3 doesn't strike me as being a high percentage way to play the game.
He should for sure raise the button with a 3 card draw to a wheel with a 2, especially since he has a 9 in his hand. What is supposed to do, raise and then fold for one bet? If your folding in this spot you are playing badly and even more so if the villains suck in the blinds.I have told you why you should be increasing your early street aggression but I will say it one more time: you gain more action, you balance your range, and you increase your equity on later streets.

I see your point, I didn't realize Hero was on the button. And obviously he can't fold once reraised. But what does Hero holding the 9 have to do with how good his 3 card draw is?

The beauty of Coop's river raise is this: He bluff-raises there in many spots where he feels villain is bluffing, but Hero's hand doesn't have showdown value. It's indeed very meta-game.That's how he gets the 22xxx call. I'm surprised Checky hasn't commented on this: maxxing value in marginal spots and busting out thin value bets is a definite sign of turning the corner and taking your game to the next level. Bravo.

I see your point, I didn't realize Hero was on the button. And obviously he can't fold once reraised. But what does Hero holding the 9 have to do with how good his 3 card draw is?
If one of the blinds calls you can take 2 rather then 3, and either make a 9 low or snow them to death on later streets.
I think raising the river is standard since villain should be betting in that spot with a J or better.
Yea but a lot of bad passive players at this level c/c with everything from 865 to T or J or so. Against them it would be a bad raise, since their range is heavily skewed towards hands that beat us and will 3b. This guy seemed like the type to bet/call bad 8s all the way through T or maybe J. I can't say I had any idea he would b/c with 22.As for Cappy's comment, this guy has never seen me bluff-raise the river. He either just doesn't have a fold button, or he convinced himself that the pot was big enough and I was bluff-raising juuuust enough to call. But Cappy's comment about thin value is so soo sooo true, especially in this game. Time after time I get to show down Q and K for free vs. opponents' 9 and T, but when you switch the cards, I get an extra bet in.

Took a small loss today, one of the few I have taken since I started this challenge. I'm officially ending my challenge, I think it's safe to say I can easily beat the low limits and most likely any limit on stars with the goofy players I have seen :lol:I knew this was coming ever since this year started but I'm going to quit poker for a while. I just don't enjoy the game right now and as a result I'm not playing my best. I find myself not following my instincts and tilting much easier. I think I'm going to explore other options and jobs, not for money reasons but because I want to know I can become good at something besides poker.I won't be posting anymore hands on here, but I will engage in the occasional discussion on FCP and will answer any and all PM's sent to me. Cheers :club:

Took a small loss today, one of the few I have taken since I started this challenge. I'm officially ending my challenge, I think it's safe to say I can easily beat the low limits and most likely any limit on stars with the goofy players I have seen :lol:I knew this was coming ever since this year started but I'm going to quit poker for a while. I just don't enjoy the game right now and as a result I'm not playing my best. I find myself not following my instincts and tilting much easier. I think I'm going to explore other options and jobs, not for money reasons but because I want to know I can become good at something besides poker.I won't be posting anymore hands on here, but I will engage in the occasional discussion on FCP and will answer any and all PM's sent to me. Cheers :ts
:club:
Took a small loss today, one of the few I have taken since I started this challenge. I'm officially ending my challenge, I think it's safe to say I can easily beat the low limits and most likely any limit on stars with the goofy players I have seen :lol:I knew this was coming ever since this year started but I'm going to quit poker for a while. I just don't enjoy the game right now and as a result I'm not playing my best. I find myself not following my instincts and tilting much easier. I think I'm going to explore other options and jobs, not for money reasons but because I want to know I can become good at something besides poker.I won't be posting anymore hands on here, but I will engage in the occasional discussion on FCP and will answer any and all PM's sent to me. Cheers :club:
Good luck pdiddy.
  • 2 weeks later...

PokerStars Game #26459990627: 8-Game (Razz Limit, $4/$8) - 2009/03/28 13:15:34 ETTable 'Tisiphone III' 6-maxSeat 1: aucu ($216.90 in chips) Seat 2: City4Ever8 ($200.80 in chips) Seat 4: Togo & Balto ($173.25 in chips) Seat 6: saskatonian ($148.30 in chips) City4Ever8: posts the ante $0.80Togo & Balto: posts the ante $0.80saskatonian: posts the ante $0.80aucu: posts the ante $0.80*** 3rd STREET ***Dealt to aucu [6s 3c 2h]Dealt to City4Ever8 [Ad]Dealt to Togo & Balto [Jh]Dealt to saskatonian [5d]Togo & Balto: brings in for $1.20saskatonian: raises $2.80 to $4aucu: raises $4 to $8City4Ever8: folds Togo & Balto: folds saskatonian: calls $4*** 4th STREET ***Dealt to aucu [6s 3c 2h] [2s]Dealt to saskatonian [5d] [As]saskatonian: bets $4aucu: calls $4*** 5th STREET ***Dealt to aucu [6s 3c 2h 2s] [Ac]Dealt to saskatonian [5d As] [8h]saskatonian: checks aucu: checks *** 6th STREET ***Dealt to aucu [6s 3c 2h 2s Ac] [Kh]Dealt to saskatonian [5d As 8h] [5s]aucu: bets $8Since vil checked on 5th because the 8 prob conterfieted him is it reasonable to bet 6th even though it pairs me?

Since vil checked on 5th because the 8 prob conterfieted him is it reasonable to bet 6th even though it pairs me?
no. no. no. no. no.Dream Scenario: he's stealing on 3rd, has to bet 4th cuz he caught better, checks 5th when you improve....Problem: you have no made hand, he knows it. He really can't fold 6th when you bet. Nightmare Scenario: he's got a made 8.Problem: he gets to raise you. Now it's in god's hands on 7th.Middling Scenario: he's got total air.Problem: You can't beat total air atm.Granted that 4-handed we aren't running into the nightmare scenario often, but that 8 is so unlikely to pair him so betting there just seems like a spew...More info on the villain would help.. Does the villain realize an ace was dead on 3rd, he got one on 4th, so your ace would be a very, very happy card?
He was an ******* to me. Please go and bust him some more.
Just tell people the truth, the last time we played i bust u over and over, i think u lost about $100 on a 1c/2c table which was pathetic and u left the table crying...lmfao.

Hey guys, I got hired at a job, just trying a few things out and livin life. I might go back to poker, but right now, I'm happy playing in moderate amounts.I haven't checked this thread or FCP in a while so I think I will take a look:

PokerStars Game #26459990627: 8-Game (Razz Limit, $4/$8) - 2009/03/28 13:15:34 ETTable 'Tisiphone III' 6-maxSeat 1: aucu ($216.90 in chips) Seat 2: City4Ever8 ($200.80 in chips) Seat 4: Togo & Balto ($173.25 in chips) Seat 6: saskatonian ($148.30 in chips) City4Ever8: posts the ante $0.80Togo & Balto: posts the ante $0.80saskatonian: posts the ante $0.80aucu: posts the ante $0.80*** 3rd STREET ***Dealt to aucu [6s 3c 2h]Dealt to City4Ever8 [Ad]Dealt to Togo & Balto [Jh]Dealt to saskatonian [5d]Togo & Balto: brings in for $1.20saskatonian: raises $2.80 to $4aucu: raises $4 to $8City4Ever8: folds Togo & Balto: folds saskatonian: calls $4*** 4th STREET ***Dealt to aucu [6s 3c 2h] [2s]Dealt to saskatonian [5d] [As]saskatonian: bets $4aucu: calls $4*** 5th STREET ***Dealt to aucu [6s 3c 2h 2s] [Ac]Dealt to saskatonian [5d As] [8h]saskatonian: checks aucu: checks *** 6th STREET ***Dealt to aucu [6s 3c 2h 2s Ac] [Kh]Dealt to saskatonian [5d As 8h] [5s]aucu: bets $8
I'm basically going to echo what everyone else is saying; betting 6th is a bad idea. I think you should have bet on 5th though, because he could have very well started off with something like 954 which you are ahead of at this point.
Just tell people the truth, the last time we played i bust u over and over, i think u lost about $100 on a 1c/2c table which was pathetic and u left the table crying...lmfao.
If this is a joke and you're just needling him this is fine, but if you are some noob who signs up just to start a e-fight you are a loser and your account should be banned.
no. no. no. no. no.Dream Scenario: he's stealing on 3rd, has to bet 4th cuz he caught better, checks 5th when you improve....Problem: you have no made hand, he knows it. He really can't fold 6th when you bet. Nightmare Scenario: he's got a made 8.Problem: he gets to raise you. Now it's in god's hands on 7th.Middling Scenario: he's got total air.Problem: You can't beat total air atm.Granted that 4-handed we aren't running into the nightmare scenario often, but that 8 is so unlikely to pair him so betting there just seems like a spew...More info on the villain would help.. Does the villain realize an ace was dead on 3rd, he got one on 4th, so your ace would be a very, very happy card?
Thanks, wasn't too happy with my play here.
This sort of exaggeration is typical from him. In the interest of keeping this a mixed game discussion and not a "gfdsa146 eats ramacan's soul" thread, this is the last time I'm going to acknowledge that he exists.

Would you have played this much different?PokerStars Game #26626123822: 8-Game (Hold'em Limit, $4/$8) - 2009/04/01 22:56:24 ETTable 'Hudrus IX' 6-max Seat #5 is the buttonSeat 1: aucu ($292.45 in chips) Seat 2: ReXoPouLos ($214 in chips) Seat 3: Bo$$playa425 ($290.25 in chips) Seat 4: troyomac ($96.95 in chips) Seat 5: Failing ($161 in chips) Seat 6: PlayaAAK8 ($933.10 in chips) PlayaAAK8: posts small blind $2ReXoPouLos said, "wanted to get rid of him"Failing said, "i just wanted to use the word strategem"ReXoPouLos said, "10 9 is never gonna hold"aucu: posts big blind $4*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to aucu [Kh Ad]ReXoPouLos: folds Bo$$playa425: folds troyomac: raises $4 to $8Failing: calls $8PlayaAAK8: calls $6aucu: raises $4 to $12troyomac: raises $4 to $16Betting is cappedFailing: calls $8PlayaAAK8: calls $8aucu: calls $4*** FLOP *** [5c Js 8d]PlayaAAK8: checks aucu: bets $4troyomac: raises $4 to $8Failing: calls $8PlayaAAK8: calls $8aucu: calls $4*** TURN *** [5c Js 8d] [Kc]Failing said, "why am i such a loser"PlayaAAK8: bets $8aucu: raises $8 to $16troyomac: raises $8 to $24Failing: folds PlayaAAK8: calls $16ReXoPouLos said, "its the company u keep"aucu: calls $8*** RIVER *** [5c Js 8d Kc] [2d]Failing said, "i might puke"PlayaAAK8: checks aucu: checks troyomac: bets $8PlayaAAK8: calls $8aucu: calls $8*** SHOW DOWN ***

Would you have played this much different?PokerStars Game #26626123822: 8-Game (Hold'em Limit, $4/$8) - 2009/04/01 22:56:24 ETTable 'Hudrus IX' 6-max Seat #5 is the buttonSeat 1: aucu ($292.45 in chips) Seat 2: ReXoPouLos ($214 in chips) Seat 3: Bo$$playa425 ($290.25 in chips) Seat 4: troyomac ($96.95 in chips) Seat 5: Failing ($161 in chips) Seat 6: PlayaAAK8 ($933.10 in chips) PlayaAAK8: posts small blind $2ReXoPouLos said, "wanted to get rid of him"Failing said, "i just wanted to use the word strategem"ReXoPouLos said, "10 9 is never gonna hold"aucu: posts big blind $4*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to aucu [Kh Ad]ReXoPouLos: folds Bo$$playa425: folds troyomac: raises $4 to $8Failing: calls $8PlayaAAK8: calls $6aucu: raises $4 to $12troyomac: raises $4 to $16Betting is cappedFailing: calls $8PlayaAAK8: calls $8aucu: calls $4*** FLOP *** [5c Js 8d]PlayaAAK8: checks aucu: bets $4troyomac: raises $4 to $8Failing: calls $8PlayaAAK8: calls $8aucu: calls $4*** TURN *** [5c Js 8d] [Kc]Failing said, "why am i such a loser"PlayaAAK8: bets $8aucu: raises $8 to $16troyomac: raises $8 to $24Failing: folds PlayaAAK8: calls $16ReXoPouLos said, "its the company u keep"aucu: calls $8*** RIVER *** [5c Js 8d Kc] [2d]Failing said, "i might puke"PlayaAAK8: checks aucu: checks troyomac: bets $8PlayaAAK8: calls $8aucu: calls $8*** SHOW DOWN ***
I'm not an LHE player but since no one has answered I'll take a shot at this.First of all, everything through the turn raise looks standard. Now, troyomac raising facing 2 cold, is claiming to be able to beat TP, and if everyone folded you should probably call down UI in this bloated pot.What is your feeling about playa's holdings? After all that calling, what does he lead this turn with?