"there's No Shame In Going Broke," - Johnny Moss

"There's no shame in going broke" - Johnny Moss  

111 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you gone broke?

• Are you crazy! I don't go broke baby!
    • Only once, (I was drunk/on tilt/personal problems etc.)
    • Twice but I'm still a millionare baby!
    • Twice
    • Three Times
    • Four times
    • Five times
    • Six times
    • Seven times
    • Eight times
    • Nine times
    • Ten times
    • I'm always broke baby! That's how I roll!

If you could win money against the good players or top players, you should NEVER be going broke at the micro levels.
Me losing $100 at the low level was a result of tilt. If I had played my real game I would never have gone broke. That is why I am so angry with myself.
watched a few good men for the first time the other night. great movie
THAT MOVIE IS LEGEND! Gotta love Demi Moore in uniform.
Wow, pretty bold claim. Have you played high stakes?
When I was still living in South Africa I used to play in a $10/$20 game with these gangsters from Hillbrow. They were very good, had been playing poker their whole life for about 40 years, and I used to make a bit of money playing them. But that was a LONG time ago...sigh
It's unfortunate that people like that (who are so undeservedly cocky) tend to have so little money.If you can scrounge together a few hundred dollars though, you can find more than enough willing participants to help you try and back up your claim.
Im not cocky im just confident in my abilities. Me being cocky would be saying some shit like, "You're all just a bunch of dumb fishy donkeys and you're gonna give me ALL you're money, then you're gonna cry and complain about it. IM THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD. You understand!? Now drop and give me twenty!" Or pretty much anything Mike Matusow sais.I will do all the scrounging possible.
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was still living in South Africa I used to play in a $10/$20 game with these gangsters from Hillbrow. They were very good, had been playing poker their whole life for about 40 years, and I used to make a bit of money playing them. But that was a LONG time ago...sigh
I work two part time jobs as well as going to school. Most of my money however goes to my mom. I only get like $20 a week to spend on myself out of the $250 that I earn.
You used to play 10/20 against gangsters and now you work 2 part time jobs to earn $250 a week?Seriously, judging solely by your posts in this thread, your mindset is way off to be a successful poker player. But it is a common way to look at things when someone gets a basic understanding of poker and has a little success.Anyway, good luck in getting back on your feet.
You used to play 10/20 against gangsters and now you work 2 part time jobs to earn $250 a week?Seriously, judging solely by your posts in this thread, your mindset is way off to be a successful poker player. But it is a common way to look at things when someone gets a basic understanding of poker and has a little success.Anyway, good luck in getting back on your feet.
Agree with this.And A Few Good Men is an amazing movie.
Micros are very hard. You can see this just by looking at the difference between high stakes MTTs and micro MTTs. You'll notice that within 30min a large percentage of the field in micros is gone, wheres in high stakes it takes ages for illiminations to occur. The average stack in High stakes also goes up much slower than in micro. Micro's are hard to win at consistantly because it becomes very frustrating playing against people who probably dont even know the rules, much less advanced strategy.
BTW.... this is the definition of why micros are easier, not harder. Can be more frustrating at times but if you don't think that AA loses to 97o aipf in the larger tournaments, you are mistaken.
You used to play 10/20 against gangsters and now you work 2 part time jobs to earn $250 a week?Seriously, judging solely by your posts in this thread, your mindset is way off to be a successful poker player. But it is a common way to look at things when someone gets a basic understanding of poker and has a little success.
Lol I know sometimes I also wonder how that happend.My mom found out that I was playing poker and forced me to invest all my money in the family business, (which went bankrupt, dont ask me how it happend, it was a long and painfull process). Then we ended up moving to New Zealand to escape my drunken father who my mother had divorced. When we got here, I had to get a job. The first one wasnt paying enough so I got two, and there we go.I have what it takes to be a successful poker player, I estimate that I'd be filthy rich by now if things kept going the way they were going when I was playing the 10/20. But it just didnt work out the way I hoped it would.
BTW.... this is the definition of why micros are easier, not harder. Can be more frustrating at times but if you don't think that AA loses to 97o aipf in the larger tournaments, you are mistaken.
Yup I acknowldged this when I called AntiStuff a bastard.

OP. I'm going to try to sum it up for you here:1) Phil Hellmuth's strength is in large field tournments with weak players.His cash game skills at the level he plays are generally worse than those of his opponents. However, he's better then you and I. 2) if you can't beat donkey's, you can't beat good players. 3) You seem like a good guy, you just have some very common newbie misconceptions about poker, I hope you get back on your feet soon.

Lol I know sometimes I also wonder how that happend.My mom found out that I was playing poker and forced me to invest all my money in the family business, (which went bankrupt, dont ask me how it happend, it was a long and painfull process). Then we ended up moving to New Zealand to escape my drunken father who my mother had divorced. When we got here, I had to get a job. The first one wasnt paying enough so I got two, and there we go.I have what it takes to be a successful poker player, I estimate that I'd be filthy rich by now if things kept going the way they were going when I was playing the 10/20. But it just didnt work out the way I hoped it would.
do you play rugby?
do you play rugby?
lol. Yeah I used to. I play more cricket though, i was the captain of the A side when I was back in SouthAfrica. Im a huge fan of rugby though, (obviously, South Africa are the world champions)
Me losing $100 at the low level was a result of tilt. If I had played my real game I would never have gone broke. That is why I am so angry with myself.THAT MOVIE IS LEGEND! Gotta love Demi Moore in uniform.When I was still living in South Africa I used to play in a $10/$20 game with these gangsters from Hillbrow. They were very good, had been playing poker their whole life for about 40 years, and I used to make a bit of money playing them. But that was a LONG time ago...sighIm not cocky im just confident in my abilities. Me being cocky would be saying some shit like, "You're all just a bunch of dumb fishy donkeys and you're gonna give me ALL you're money, then you're gonna cry and complain about it. IM THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD. You understand!? Now drop and give me twenty!"I will do all the scrounging possible.
i am willing to cross book action with you in any of the following games - lhe up to 3/6plo8 up to 1/2plo up to .50/12-7td up to 2/4lo8 up to 1/2so feel free to put your money where your mouth is. i think it important to note that i am not doing this for ego, but i am more than happy to indulge yours. we can drop the stakes but then we have to do it for more than 100%.
OP. I'm going to try to sum it up for you here:1) Phil Hellmuth's strength is in large field tournments with weak players.His cash game skills at the level he plays are generally worse than those of his opponents. However, he's better then you and I. 2) if you can't beat donkey's, you can't beat good players. 3) You seem like a good guy, you just have some very common newbie misconceptions about poker, I hope you get back on your feet soon.
:club:, I never said I cant beat bad players. They just annoy me that's all, I think that's all I was trying to say. It annoys me to sit at a table with them. IT is physically hard.
i am willing to cross book action with you in any of the following games - lhe up to 3/6plo8 up to 1/2plo up to .50/12-7td up to 2/4lo8 up to 1/2so feel free to put your money where your mouth is. i think it important to note that i am not doing this for ego, but i am more than happy to indulge yours. we can drop the stakes but then we have to do it for more than 100%.
What money? lolIm not saying Im the best, Im just saying I can beat the best. That's confidence not arrogance.
Im not saying Im the best, Im just saying I can beat the best. That's confidence not arrogance.
What do you mean by "beat"? Winning in poker isn't about one tournament, one table, or one hand. It is about making the right decisions and being rewarded for that over time.
I estimate that I'd be filthy rich by now if things kept going the way they were going when I was playing the 10/20.
Dude, if I'd been on a hot streak since like 2005 I would be so rich right now it's not even funny. CAN I GET A 4 YEAR HOT STREAK ONETIME DEALER!!!!Seriously OP, if you want some real advice here it is: start taking responsibility for your results. Nobody else is responsible for them.
Im not cocky im just confident in my abilities. Me being cocky would be saying some shit like, "You're all just a bunch of dumb fishy donkeys and you're gonna give me ALL you're money, then you're gonna cry and complain about it. IM THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD. You understand!? Now drop and give me twenty!" Or pretty much anything Mike Matusow sais.
The definition of undeservedly cocky/arrogant varies from person to person.I suspect that it would be way out of line for you to think you're capable of being a winner in smallish/micro stakes games.

I have'nt been around as much as usual. Why has this thread gone on so long with this guy? Is there is something im missing, cause I can swear this is just some 16 year old kid acting like he knows everything about poker after a couple episodes with lon and chad.

What do you mean by "best"? Winning in poker isn't about one tournament, one table, or one hand. It is about making the right decisions and being rewarded for that over time.
By "best" i mean players who have enjoyed a large amount of success in the game
Dude, if I'd been on a hot streak since like 2005 I would be so rich right now it's not even funny. CAN I GET A 4 YEAR HOT STREAK ONETIME DEALER!!!!Seriously OP, if you want some real advice here it is: start taking responsibility for your results. Nobody else is responsible for them.
I did take responsibility for my results.
I have'nt been around as much as usual. Why has this thread gone on so long with this guy? Is there is something im missing, cause I can swear this is just some 16 year old kid acting like he knows everything about poker after a couple episodes with lon and chad.
You know absolutly fck all about me or what I've been through in my life so back of buddy. I was playing poker WAAAAAYYYYYY before Lon and Chad even got that fcking job.
By "best" i mean players who have enjoyed a large amount of success in the gameI did take responsibility for my results.You know absolutly fck all about me or what I've been through in my life so back of buddy. I was playing poker WAAAAAYYYYYY before Lon and Chad even got that fcking job.
i was going to respond to this but i want this to just die.damnit oops.....
You know absolutly fck all about me or what I've been through in my life so back of buddy. I was playing poker WAAAAAYYYYYY before Lon and Chad even got that fcking job.
It's probably more shameful to have been playing a long time, if you dont have any results to back it up. At least you'd have an excuse if you just started playing last year.