"there's No Shame In Going Broke," - Johnny Moss

"There's no shame in going broke" - Johnny Moss  

111 members have voted

1. 1. How many times have you gone broke?

• Are you crazy! I don't go broke baby!
    • Only once, (I was drunk/on tilt/personal problems etc.)
    • Twice but I'm still a millionare baby!
    • Twice
    • Three Times
    • Four times
    • Five times
    • Six times
    • Seven times
    • Eight times
    • Nine times
    • Ten times
    • I'm always broke baby! That's how I roll!

It just happend to me. I lost like $100 going on tilt and taking shots at 0.50/1 tables, I'm just so desparate to get out of micro I made dumb moves and didnt get lucky at the cash tables. I also played alot of MTTs where i went really deep but didnt hit. So now after almost a year of playing online I'm broke after starting with $20. My highest point was when I was at $320 but then it all went downhill. I had to withdraw like $200 to pay for my moms bills then I lost the rest tilting at off at the low stakes tables that I couldnt afford so now my account is $0.01.But anyways im just trying to make myself feel better about having no money. I would like to know if anyone on FCP has gone broke before and how many times its happend to them. So for me its: YES, once. Lost my whole bankroll, a whopping $320. ($100 of it actually playing poker)How about you? Just remeber what Johnny Moss said, "There's no shame in going broke".

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not counting my 1st online deposit of $50 on partypoker, I have yet to go broke since then.Good bankroll management goes a LONG ways.
How can you not count a $50 bankroll!? That's alot of money to some people, lol
How can you not count a $50 bankroll!? That's alot of money to some people, lol
Well for one, on PP, the smallest games they had were 25nl. And secondly, I threw $50 on when I was bored one time in 2004 and knew nothing about poker. More just to goof off. I had full expectations on losing it all.Three times I have had my accounts under $20, which is SO close to busto, but every time I have recovered back up.

Ya there isn't any shame in going broke. I'd be more ashamed if I played for a year and only made $300. I admire your BR management though cause I have non whatsoever. Just wondering why after a year you decided to take a shot. . . it doesnt make much sense.

Ya there isn't any shame in going broke. I'd be more ashamed if I played for a year and only made $300. I admire your BR management though cause I have non whatsoever. Just wondering why after a year you decided to take a shot. . . it doesnt make much sense.
I think it was mainly for the exact reason you mentioned. It took me so long to build it up to $300 (bout 8 months I think not a year), I just felt like I was stuck in one spot and it was getting so frustrating tht I couldnt move up. I was always hovering around the same number and I just got sick of looking at "$300". Then what really put me on tilt was when i had to withdraw two thirds of my BankRoll to pay my mom's bills (money she does not intend on paying back). I had like $100 left and all i wanted to do was at least get back up to $300 and that's what really messed up my karma. Im just really disappointed that it went down like that cause now I really wana go back to grinding out the 0.10/0.20 NLHE, FLHE and PLO tables, the $5 HUs..and those beautiful lowstakes SNG Singles. Those wonderful $3 MTTs..sigh. I think b4 I start rebuilding my Bank Roll again in a few months, I should re-watch Rounders
I think it was mainly for the exact reason you mentioned. It took me so long to build it up to $300 (bout 8 months I think not a year), I just felt like I was stuck in one spot and it was getting so frustrating tht I couldnt move up. I was always hovering around the same number and I just got sick of looking at "$300". Then what really put me on tilt was when i had to withdraw two thirds of my BankRoll to pay my mom's bills (money she does not intend on paying back). I had like $100 left and all i wanted to do was at least get back up to $300 and that's what really messed up my karma. Im just really disappointed that it went down like that cause now I really wana go back to grinding out the 0.10/0.20 NLHE, FLHE and PLO tables, the $5 HUs..and those beautiful lowstakes SNG Singles. Those wonderful $3 MTTs..sigh. I think b4 I start rebuilding my Bank Roll again in a few months, I should re-watch Rounders
To me it'd make more sense to take your shot at the start rather than after youve spent months rebuilding
You listed all those options and not one that it accurate for me? You should have one option that says "over 20 times" and I'd be that guy. As would Doyle, and many other pros I know.
I'd love to see some sort of list comparing well known pros who went broke multiple times, continued taking shots until they became successful; vs. a list of well known pros who made it through proper BRM.OP, a large percentage of poker players lose their entire bankrolls. But something might need to change if you can't beat the micros after 8 months.

I went broke like 20 or 30 times if you count the $50 deposits on Party when I first started playing. Since taking poker seriously I haven't gone broke, and I probably won't. I fear taking shots, so you probably also won't find me making a million bucks any time soon either.

You listed all those options and not one that it accurate for me? You should have one option that says "over 20 times" and I'd be that guy. As would Doyle, and many other pros I know.
It was OK for you to go broke because you had a proven track record and friends who would back you. It might be different if you had a reputation as a donk.
gotta love this response. Now I don't feel so bad anymore.

I've busted many times.When I first started online, I deposited many times. Now I'm a winning player and my game has improved immeasurably since those days (and I learned a lot of the basics of BR management and started to successful apply them) but given the weird style I play, early on, it was hard to play that style and win. It's finally evolved into a winning style that's pretty miserable for my opponents but in the beginning, yeah. I donked off a lot.

It was OK for you to go broke because you had a proven track record and friends who would back you. It might be different if you had a reputation as a donk.
How do you know whether he's talking about early in his career or later on as a proven player? Not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.
How do you know whether he's talking about early in his career or later on as a proven player? Not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.
I don't really. I'm not sure I'd count "going broke" as a teenager myself. I wouldn't want anybody to take Daniel's comment as inspiration to pull a Royal_Tour. That's all.
Well, no offense, but you're kind of a relic. With multi-tabling, internet pros have figured out a way to make a good living on a smaller bankroll, without so much risk of ruin. It's a (less) brave new world. Gamble gamble.
Well, no offense, but you're kind of a relic. With multi-tabling, internet pros have figured out a way to make a good living on a smaller bankroll, without so much risk of ruin. It's a (less) brave new world. Gamble gamble.
Yeah...I somehow make a living on NO bankroll. lol
I don't really. I'm not sure I'd count "going broke" as a teenager myself. I wouldn't want anybody to take Daniel's comment as inspiration to pull a Royal_Tour. That's all.
I loled.
OP, a large percentage of poker players lose their entire bankrolls. But something might need to change if you can't beat the micros after 8 months.
This statement hints at something not exactly true. Beating the micros is often really a challange due to the high rake. I worked my way up from micro stakes (still a low stakes player) and can tell you that at the lowest levels the rake can be as much as 10%. It is very difficult to beat the lowest stakes games.

Depends on what you mean by broke. I don't play poker for a living so I never consider what I have on stars or tilt at any one time to be my "roll'. So if I have to redeposit, I don't think of it as going broke.