I own Backstrom in adams league and Ovy in my other favorite league and I feel privileged to get to follow and cheer for these guys. I could not have been happier to get the 1st overall pick and use it on Ovy.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We might be watching the start of something really special folks.
Yup, the most talented player in the game at his physical peak with other very talented players to play with. Ovechkin's year could be one of the all time great ones.
Yup, the most talented player in the game at his physical peak with other very talented players to play with. Ovechkin's year could be one of the all time great ones.
As good as he is, and dont get me wrong he is good...No one is going to touch 92 and 215
As good as he is, and dont get me wrong he is good...No one is going to touch 92 and 215
in the context of today's NHL, ovie's season will be at least as significant as any of gretzky's, provided he stays healthy. I don't think anyone is expecting him to break the monster records.
in the context of today's NHL, ovie's season will be at least as significant as any of gretzky's, provided he stays healthy. I don't think anyone is expecting him to break the monster records.
I don't think "at least as significant" is accurate. Gretzky's seasons can only be compared to Gretzky's other seasons.Ovechkin's could (and come on, it is way too early to say) certainly be one of the greats though. Everything has come together nicely. I'm praying for no injuries.
All I'm saying is that a pure numbers comparison is silly.If he scores 75 and the next closest is 50, that's Gretzky-like dominance.
That wont happen either.
All I'm saying is that a pure numbers comparison is silly.If he scores 75 and the next closest is 50, that's Gretzky-like dominance.
I mostly agree. Even scoring 65 compared to, say 50 for the next highest would be pretty historical. Definitely a special player. Then again, unless we also want to talk about Backstrom getting 90 assists, it is very premature.
  • 4 months later...

he is back...Watching the Capitals play is so fun..If they can get their goaltending consistent, no one can stop them.

• 1 month later...

Congrats to Ovy on becoming the first 50 goal scorer this year..How sick is it that Gretzky scored 50 in 39 games one year...

Congrats to Ovy on becoming the first 50 goal scorer this year..How sick is it that Gretzky scored 50 in 39 games one year...
The man is a living legend. He played almost 10 games less then Crosby/Stamkos, and he is leading them. He is the greatest.

Pretty much what I expected in this game. Kinda happy he didn't go off for a bigger number.Now we have Ovechkin with a 1-goal lead and the Bruins on Sunday, while Sid gets the Thrashers and Islanders. Stamkos is 2 back of Ovechkin with Florida twice.

technically not true that he was the first 50 goal scorer of the year but whatev. :)The pens get their shot at Atlanta tomorrow followed by NYI again. The caps only have buffalo left. Crosby certainly has a good shot at taking the Rocket Richard trophy home. Also there's an slim chance at the Art Ross. Ovi's @ 109, Sedin 108, and Crosby has 104 with 2 games to play while the others have 1. Tonight was a big night for Ovi to put a strangle hold on both trophies though.