For the most part I don't have a problem with Ovi's celebrations. He scores a lot of big goals and celebrating after them in a spontaneous way is fine by me. But doing the exact same thing with a goal late in the 3rd to make is 6-1 is a bit ridiculous. I'm also not a big fan of planned celebrations like the one last night certainly was. I have a lot of respect for #8 but I lost a bit of it after seeing that video.Having said all them I'm excited that I'm one of the newest season ticket holders for the Caps (I'll probably only actually attend a handful of games) and that means I get priority on the playoffs. A Pens/Caps series seems inevitable and I'll certainly be at any of the games in DC.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the most part I don't have a problem with Ovi's celebrations. He scores a lot of big goals and celebrating after them in a spontaneous way is fine by me. But doing the exact same thing with a goal late in the 3rd to make is 6-1 is a bit ridiculous. I'm also not a big fan of planned celebrations like the one last night certainly was. I have a lot of respect for #8 but I lost a bit of it after seeing that video.Having said all them I'm excited that I'm one of the newest season ticket holders for the Caps (I'll probably only actually attend a handful of games) and that means I get priority on the playoffs. A Pens/Caps series seems inevitable and I'll certainly be at any of the games in DC.
thats cool dev...Thats interesting a Penguins fan that is a Caps season holder.Maybe Ill buy your tickets for the Leafs/Caps game next year in Washington.
See, this is where I really do think you're a moron. I'm not comparing one act with the other...I'm saying they both draw an increased audience so therefore an increase in viewership does not necessarily mean something is good.
this is just sensationalised and ridiculous. you really think people think 'oh shit, some dude raped his daughter and kept her in the basement. I GOTTA tune in to/tivo this!'? That's ridiculous, that doesnt boost ratings for the 6.00pm news, its just the most newsworthy/****ed up story of the day. I'd wager the news figures for the 6pm news vary very little from day to day. People watch the news because they want to know whats happening in the world, not because some perv nailed his daughter!
thats cool dev...Thats interesting a Penguins fan that is a Caps season holder.Maybe Ill buy your tickets for the Leafs/Caps game next year in Washington.
In no way am I changing loyalties. I can be at the Verizon Center in 2 1/2 hours while it would take me more than twice as long to get to the Igloo. Caps tickets should be a pretty big item the next few years in DC so I'd expect to be able to turn a bit of profit with them. Mostly it means I shouldn't be missing any Pens @ Caps games anytime soon. (I've been to 5 of the last 6)Chances are they'd be all yours if you want them. We'll see when the schedule comes out.
The knock on Ovechkin is that he celebrates too much.The knock on Crosby is that he whines and cries(this maybe unwarranted but thats the general knock on him)As a fan of the NHL, especially casual fans, what Ovechkin does creates excitement and intrigue. The old school guys like Cherry obviously hate it. You need more guys like Ovy to sell the game..Flash, speed , excitement and just overall fun. He doesnt cheapshot anyone, he doesnt really mock anyone, he is just having fun. They promote stuff like that in the All star game, and when he does it in a game they are all anti fun all of a sudden.Well the guy has 213 goals the last 4 years..Who else does in the NHL?
Hi, welcome to 2005.
Back in the day there were a lot of celebrations that people never complained about (that I recall)Tiger Williams riding his stick.Mike Foligno leaping after every goalBernie Nicholls pumpernickel.Fleury rolling around the ice after a big goal.These are things that are etched in my memory, why because they were exciting.I dont disagree with you, its your opinion. However a lot of people love Ovechkin for his enthusiasm. He adds colour to the game.
Yes. They were all retarded. There was a conversation between Gary Roberts and one of the old Oilers from that game (Craig Simpson?) where they were talking about how terrible his celebration was. Roberts was saying they were trying to catch him to stop him before he got near the Oilers bench because it was so embarrassing. The Oilers won that series in 7 games to rub it into Theo's face.
I never realized that Fryer was 68 years old. God forbid you walk on his lawn. ;)I don't care about celebrations. I don't buy the "but the poor opponents who are getting disrespected" aspect because when the opponents score they celebrate as well. I don't think in professional sports players get all that bent out of shape about it as fans of the team who got scored on do. There is a line but I have yet to see Ovechkin cross it. I have seen TO cross it, like the whole stepping on the cowboys logo in the center of the field. That was pure intent to disrespect. Big difference in my opinion. Plus with Cherry's comments I think that just makes Ovie want to do it more. They played the audio of a interview last night where he said he hopes he gave Cherry something to talk about on the "coach's room or whatever it is called".
If premeditated celebration doesn't cross the line, wtf does?
If you're in attendance at that game last night, and you witness Ovi score his 50th, and he doesn't even raise his arms, goes back to the bench, sits down and the ref drops the puck, do you feel like you witnessed history? Or would you feel a little cheated?
I saw Jaromir Jagr's 500th assist in person, and he did nothing to celebrate it. He congratulated the goal scorer and moved on. This from a guy who did the same stupid salute thing for years everytime he scored. I certainly feel like I witnessed history.
For the most part I don't have a problem with Ovi's celebrations. He scores a lot of big goals and celebrating after them in a spontaneous way is fine by me. But doing the exact same thing with a goal late in the 3rd to make is 6-1 is a bit ridiculous. I'm also not a big fan of planned celebrations like the one last night certainly was. I have a lot of respect for #8 but I lost a bit of it after seeing that video.
This is basically exactly how I feel. I would go see the Caps play every chance I got because of how good Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, Semin are, but I still am not going to agree with how he treated the league as a joke with his god-awful, and frankly, not even entertaining (at least TO gets points there) celebration.
this is just sensationalised and ridiculous. ...That's ridiculous, that doesnt boost ratings for the 6.00pm news, its just the most newsworthy/****ed up story of the day.
OJ SimpsonWhite Broncoetc, etc
If premeditated celebration doesn't cross the line, wtf does?
Things that are clearly done with the full intent to rub it in the faces of a team/player/fans. This was not done in an intent to rub it in anyone's face other than maybe Cherry's. It was a celebration of a milestone goal by a person who has a pretty flamboyant personality to begin with. My example of TO crossing the line was because he purposely (as an Eagle) ran out to the 50 yard line and spiked the ball on the Cowboy star as a clear showing of disrespect for the Dallas team and the fans. No offfense Zach, but I think while you respect his game, because he is always compared to Crosby, you tend to take more offense to his actions then others.
OJ SimpsonWhite Broncoetc, etc
theres a difference between a live chase for one of the US' most recognizable sportsmen from a random austrian who fiddled his kids! I'll give you that it would have been a ratings winner though lol

Iam hoping Avery scores a game 7 OT winner in Washington in the first round and does the wood burning celebration. I think alot of players around the league will find that funny.

Things that are clearly done with the full intent to rub it in the faces of a team/player/fans. This was not done in an intent to rub it in anyone's face other than maybe Cherry's. It was a celebration of a milestone goal by a person who has a pretty flamboyant personality to begin with. My example of TO crossing the line was because he purposely (as an Eagle) ran out to the 50 yard line and spiked the ball on the Cowboy star as a clear showing of disrespect for the Dallas team and the fans. No offfense Zach, but I think while you respect his game, because he is always compared to Crosby, you tend to take more offense to his actions then others.
Ok, that makes sense. I still think it's ridiculous, considering he's done it twice before. IMO, the milestone thing is completely meaningless in this particular instance. God, he got 65 last year, you really think he's satisfied with 50 this year?And to say he rubbed it in Cherry's face, ok, but by doing that, he rubbed it in everyone's face who's shown to dislike his goal celebrations. Imagine what would happen if, say, Sid went out and whined extra hard going into his 2nd year, after being criticized all year for it. Instead, he recognizes his fault, and goes on to correct it admirably. Ovechkin simply says, "I'm better than you, better than the game, I'll do what I want." At least that's what his showboating tells me.Now, in his defense, he scored a few goals after the initial criticism came out a few weeks ago, and actually did show some restraint. There was a time when he was about to power up and run into the boards, and just kinda stopped himself mid-stride, and another time he did even less. So, if he's working on it, then good for him. It's possible this is a one-off thing, and he'll go back to toning it down. I'd love to see that.And, with respect to your last comment. I don't think I'm taking more offense than anyone who disagrees with it. I simply have an opinion, whether he's on the Penguins or the Capitals. I wouldn't enjoy seeing him do that if he was on the Penguins. If Sid or Geno every did something that stupid, I'd have an issue with that as well. In fact, nobody has really mentioned, but Malkin celebrates big goals in a very similar way to Ovechkin. He'll slam up on the boards if he's near them, etc. I just don't recall seeing him do it when the score is out of reach, and he's definitely never premeditated it. Both of the Russians have a great passion for the game, which can't be overlooked, and it is great to see that excitement come out when they do score goals. I just think one 'sometimes' blurs the line a little, while the other is a bit more humble. Obviously my disdain for Ovechkin simply comes from a very good, healthy rivalry between the Pens and the Caps, but I'm definitely objective enough in my assessment to not just take offense to something without some merit.JMO.

Good piece on goal celeberationsIronically Crosby is mentioned as well , how he celebrates and "poses"

And to say he rubbed it in Cherry's face, ok, but by doing that, he rubbed it in everyone's face who's shown to dislike his goal celebrations. Imagine what would happen if, say, Sid went out and whined extra hard going into his 2nd year, after being criticized all year for it. Instead, he recognizes his fault, and goes on to correct it admirably. Ovechkin simply says, "I'm better than you, better than the game, I'll do what I want." At least that's what his showboating tells me.JMO.
It's all about personality. Sid has a completely different personality than AO but both are very skilled players. I guess I can agree that both get a bad rep simply because both have been fairly or unfairly placed on a pedestal by the NHL and by some fans. I am curious if people got this uptight in the the old days when people rode their stick like a horse or threw their gloves up and shot it with their stick or you know when the other 50 players jumped against the glass after a goal. I never saw anyone bitch about McCarty in game 4 of the 97 finals when he did it. So why all of a sudden jumping against the glass has become showboating? Anyway, off my original point there, you clearly take his actions and make him say something I never once took from it. I don't know how celebrating goals in obscure ways translates to I am better than you and the game. I really think that is a stretch. He is a kid, he likes to have fun, people need to leave him alone. Many Sid fans say the same thing in regards to Sid. He is a just a kid, leave him alone. Can't have it both ways. Sports are a form of entertainment, he is entertaining. I personally love hockey but the NHL needs people to get excited about this game because overall, the more people flock to it the better the product will be. At least I would like the ratings to go up so I can see more than 3 games a week that are not Red Wing games. If Ovie gets that attention, go crazy kid.Edit: 50 is a milestone. It is the bar set every year, who will get to 50. He now has done it 3 straight years. It's a milestone.Edit: not 3 straight years. my bad
It's all about personality. Sid has a completely different personality than AO but both are very skilled players. I guess I can agree that both get a bad rep simply because both have been fairly or unfairly placed on a pedestal by the NHL and by some fans.I am curious if people got this uptight in the the old days when people rode their stick like a horse or threw their gloves up and shot it with their stick or you know when the other 50 players jumped against the glass after a goal. I never saw anyone bitch about McCarty in game 4 of the 97 finals when he did it. So why all of a sudden jumping against the glass has become showboating? Anyway, off my original point there, you clearly take his actions and make him say something I never once took from it. I don't know how celebrating goals in obscure ways translates to I am better than you and the game. I really think that is a stretch. He is a kid, he likes to have fun, people need to leave him alone. Many Sid fans say the same thing in regards to Sid. He is a just a kid, leave him alone. Can't have it both ways. Sports are a form of entertainment, he is entertaining. I personally love hockey but the NHL needs people to get excited about this game because overall, the more people flock to it the better the product will be. At least I would like the ratings to go up so I can see more than 3 games a week that are not Red Wing games. If Ovie gets that attention, go crazy kid.Edit: 50 is a milestone. It is the bar set every year, who will get to 50. He now has done it 3 straight years. It's a milestone.
pretty much what i said all day..btw he hasnt had 50 in 3 straight years, thats reserved for special players like Rick Vaive.
I never saw anyone bitch about McCarty in game 4 of the 97 finals when he did it. So why all of a sudden jumping against the glass has become showboating?
One time in a Stanley Cup Finals game is different than many times over the course of a regular season, IMO.
One time in a Stanley Cup Finals game is different than many times over the course of a regular season, IMO.
Man you guys have some sort of book that details when and where and how many times an event has to occur to make it showboating or something. What does it matter how many times and when? If you are going to say jumping on the glass is showboating then it is showboating regardless of when, where, and how many times it happens. Like AO is the ONLY player who does that. Now. Often.
Really really?
When....Stanley Cup Finals Game 6, go ahead goal with 3 minutes leftVS.Regular season game, 1st period, to make it 2-0.So yea, it matters when.(btw, I'm out for the weekend, later all!)

Ok, it's 5 and I get to leave work in 5 minutes so this is my last post in this thread. I don't believe at all that any player in the NHL past or present who has jumped on the glass once twice, 40 times after scoring a goal in the preseason, regular season or playoffs is showboating. That is my opinion. From what I can read in this thread is that some of you think that when AO does it is showboating but he is definitely not the only NHL player to do it currently. So my point is that you can't have it both ways. You either think it is showboating or you don't. So if it is not showboating for McCarty to do it because it was in a Finals game, well that is a bit contradictory. If you don't like it when AO does it then unless you are a hypocrite, you can't like it when Malkin does it. I spent all day writing briefs and memo's on statute cases for school. I am tired of explaining things. Have a good weekend everyone, good luck to all your fav NHL teams and your fantasy teams.

I would argue that if showboating is unacceptable (I personally love it), than the Stanley Cup Finals would be the worst time to "rub it in" the other team's face.

What's interesting is that almost no player has a problem with the celebrations unless they are rubbing it in, directed at the goalie or the bench. As an interesting sidebar, how about the reverse celebration? When a team scores, watch the players from the team who just got scored on. They all skate away from the goalie, because the tv cameras always show the goalie, and no player wants to be in replays when his team just got scored on. When you watch it from up high, it looks like roaches scattering when the lights come on..... :club:

Then it becomes subjective. So, either you like players being excited by their scoring, and you want to see that, or you don't. Short of taunting the other team or goaltender (which opens a different topic), it's all subjective after that. What's too much? 2 seconds of celebration? or 10 seconds? one arm raised with a fist pump? leaving the ground with both feet while jumping into your teammates arms? distance travelled while celebrating? So you hate him for celebrating? or over celebrating? What if he didn't celebrate enough? Does he add a little more each time until he reaches a satisfaction point? and who's satisfaction point? I remember one time joking with Ric Natress about him celebrating a goal, when he scored about two in his entire career. His response? 'When YOU score in the NHL, you can celebrate any way you want'.
I agree it's subjective but it's not like there's a fine line between pumping your fist and simulating CPR on an invisible victim (or whatever the hell OV was doing). I have no problem with a spontaneous emotional response...my problem is with the premeditated bullshit. Really, what's the difference between what OV did and pulling out a pen and signing a ball?
this is just sensationalised and ridiculous. you really think people think 'oh shit, some dude raped his daughter and kept her in the basement. I GOTTA tune in to/tivo this!'? That's ridiculous, that doesnt boost ratings for the 6.00pm news, its just the most newsworthy/****ed up story of the day. I'd wager the news figures for the 6pm news vary very little from day to day. People watch the news because they want to know whats happening in the world, not because some perv nailed his daughter!
You don't think the ratings go up when there's a sensational topic? More people didn't tune in to see OJ Simpson? I know for a fact that people who don't usually watch the news tuned in over the last few days just to see that story.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey buddy,You are having an awesome year and I know you are looking forward to the playoffs. But dont ease up ok. We need you to finish strong, maybe even go for the Art Ross...That Geno guy is probably banging your ex gf..Dont let him win the Art Ross too...You need to get about 15 pts I say to win the title...As we all know if you tie with Geno , you win based on goals :club: We are almost like brothers..I am Armenian, and we used to be an old Soviet republic. I know you like to drink so if you beat out Sid and Geno i will send you a brand new bottle of Armenian Vodka..You will love it.Go get em Ovy, and I am sorry about Don Cherry, he is a goofball. Celebrate those goals and points anyway you want.Your buddySerge