How To Spend My Money

Hello all, I am not new to poker been playing since 2003(Thank You Chris Moneymaker), but recently I have came back from about a 2 year period in which I didnt play any poker(well on-line anyway). In that 2 years I got married and started a family and have recently decided to get back into it. Well to make a long story short while I was away UltimateBet had that whole scandal and since that is where I played before I decided to try a new site this time around and chose Pokerstars. Well I wasn't going to be able to deposit for a few months and Pokerstars was generous enough to give me 5 dollars to "give the real money games a try" for 14 days and keep any winnings I got. Well I played some of the 1.20 sit n go's and built that 5 up to around 23 dollars and then played a 1.10 Stud Hi-Lo MTT and finished 2nd for a 42 dollar score. My bank now sits at 69(good number) dollars and I was just wondering if I should just continue as I have been slowly working it up or take a few chances. My skill level is pretty decent IMO but I just want to play "with the big boys" I guess you could say, just wondering if there is any shame in slowly grinding my way up the levels or take that shot and go for the gusto. Opinions please and thanks for your help in advance.

I guess you could say, just wondering if there is any shame in slowly grinding my way up the levels or take that shot and go for the gusto. Opinions please and thanks for your help in advance.
I grinded up, and it worked for me. Sure, you'll take miniscule amounts of profits, but you learn a lot on the way.Definitely no shame in it. Just play $2 or $5*, and the $1.10 45 man Turbos, and get to around $150-$200*, then get Rakeback at FTP and play $10 there.Heh, that's what I did and I'm happy where I'm at now ($25). Please feel free to hit me up with any questions as I understand this post is very vague.:club:* Depends on if you intend on re-depositing and life roll, for eg.
I guess you could say, just wondering if there is any shame in slowly grinding my way up the levels or take that shot and go for the gusto. Opinions please and thanks for your help in advance.
This is the best way to learn. It would be foolish to take a shot and blow your roll on 2 or 3 sngs. Learn to consistently beat the micro levels, move up accordingly. If you find that hard to do, online poker will not be kind to you.

Thanks guys, I will probably not be making future deposits. With that in mind I will continue to grind these 1.20 single and multi sit n go's. Does anyone know an amount I want to have before moving up to like the 3.40's or 5.50's, because I know swings will happen. One of my goals for the month is to be in the top 10 of the battle of planets Mercury divison so I could get a nice little bonus. Last week I think I didnt crack the top 100, but my score was only like 100 points off so I'm confident that I can do it, just have to play 20 sit n go's this week which some weeks is easier than others to put in volume. Thanks again for the advice and anytime you feel like lending advice I'm all ears!

• 2 weeks later...

If you are proficient at games other then nl, then Iwould strongly urge you to try the smallest buyin sit n gos you can find. I built a roll out of a $4.87 transfer from Daniels old poker site onto stars mostly by playing $1.1 2-7 sit no gos. People want to learn alt games so they sit in these to learn. Play solid and you will cash a ridc. amount of the time.

Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone, I've been grinding the 1.20 sit n go's on Pokerstars and playing a few MTT's. In the sit n go's I've been doing farely well as my graph in my avatar indicates although its only through 150 games, I'm at a $61 dollar profit with an ROI of 8%. Do these stats look good, normal or bad from what you can see. I usually play a couple at a time and play tight early then try stealing in the later stages when others are worrying about cashing, but not getting into any big pots unless I have a strong hand. In the MTT's I've only played about 30 or so of these and cashed 6 times and made 2 final tables including the one in my original post. Should I stick to strictly SNG's or keep trying the MTT's trying for a big cash. *Note* I only play in the micro MTT's so I don't do damage to my small bankroll. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Personally I would just stop playing and leave my BR at 69 forever. If you play you could end up at 0. You could also get to 169 or even the great 6969 but why chance it when you already have a beautiful 69.

Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone, I've been grinding the 1.20 sit n go's on Pokerstars and playing a few MTT's. In the sit n go's I've been doing farely well as my graph in my avatar indicates although its only through 150 games, I'm at a $61 dollar profit with an ROI of 8%. Do these stats look good, normal or bad from what you can see. I usually play a couple at a time and play tight early then try stealing in the later stages when others are worrying about cashing, but not getting into any big pots unless I have a strong hand. In the MTT's I've only played about 30 or so of these and cashed 6 times and made 2 final tables including the one in my original post. Should I stick to strictly SNG's or keep trying the MTT's trying for a big cash. *Note* I only play in the micro MTT's so I don't do damage to my small bankroll. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I think there is nothing wrong with continuing the way you are. That's how I intend on playing as I am in a similar situation to yourself (I'm only at $11 right now though).
Personally I would just stop playing and leave my BR at 69 forever. If you play you could end up at 0. You could also get to 169 or even the great 6969 but why chance it when you already have a beautiful 69.
This works too.

I'm also in a similar situation with the bankroll amount but I'm trying something different and ignoring ALL rules of bankroll management and blasting through stakes trying to get my roll up to around $500 before the end of the month. If I was sticking to a more strict roll schedule with our current amount, I would move on up to the $3 SNGs and play $1 MTTs around $70.

Grinding doing exactly what your doing is the best way. the 45's are an awesome way to build it up, and playing multiple ones at a time like you are is the best method. Also it doesn't hurt at all to take a few shots at the MTTs as long as you stick to the micro ones. Best of luck to you :club:

I usually only put up 5% of my stack in any one game... allows for variegate without going broke.

I usually only put up 5% of my stack in any one game... allows for variegate without going broke.
I usually don't play any cash games online, well I used to back in 2006 at UltimateBet $25NL before my long break. But I haven't played much if any cash games since I've been back which was July 2008 when I started back online at Pokerstars. Should I give the cash games a shot, I don't think I'm rolled properly to take the swings that the cash games will definitely bring. Any other thoughts on whether or not I should be trying cash games as well?
Well, this is my updated graph last posted at 150 games and haven't been able to play as much as I would have liked to, but now I'm up to 190 games. It has been a roller-coaster here lately for me, been up and down and now my BR sits on $78 which is more than I had but considering I could be losing instead of slowly gaining I won't complain. How am I doing?DisplayGraph.png
As long as you are making a profit(whether its slowly or not) I don't think we can complain, just keep grinding and when you are properly rolled you can move up to the next level. Also, never let you ego get in the way if you feel you need to move back down after you move up. Good Luck
I'd say you start playing cash games. You can jump into 2c/5c NL and move up to 5c/10c NL once you get to $150 or so. Just play basic ABC poker and you'll be up to 25c/50c NL within 20-30K hands.
I feel extremely depressed reading this.Oh well.

OK, thanks for the responses everyone. A little update on my situation is in order I guess. In the last week have had the usual results did well in my single table SNG's and made a few deep runs in some micro MTT's including a final table. So now I have $94 which is not where I would have like to be as if a few of those deep runs in mtt's come out the other way I could have made way more, but still satisfied with having more than I did. Well, not really which is the basis of my next question. I love single SNG's and MTT's. The SNG's I feel the grind is just too much with the small payouts and all. The MTT's I feel take too long for the profit unless you make the final table which is not often for me. I was wondering if I should try the 4.40 180-man SNG's or the 2.20 Turbo 180-man's although I don't like turbo formats too well. Here are my stats in both since I've been back, should I try the 180's? For MTT's:Played 5313 cashes (25%)3 finals (6%)1 top 3 (2%)Total Winnings: $152Biggest Cash: $49Biggest Buy-in: $5

OK, thanks for the responses everyone. A little update on my situation is in order I guess. In the last week have had the usual results did well in my single table SNG's and made a few deep runs in some micro MTT's including a final table. So now I have $94 which is not where I would have like to be as if a few of those deep runs in mtt's come out the other way I could have made way more, but still satisfied with having more than I did. Well, not really which is the basis of my next question. I love single SNG's and MTT's. The SNG's I feel the grind is just too much with the small payouts and all. The MTT's I feel take too long for the profit unless you make the final table which is not often for me. I was wondering if I should try the 4.40 180-man SNG's or the 2.20 Turbo 180-man's although I don't like turbo formats too well. Here are my stats in both since I've been back, should I try the 180's? DisplayGraph2.pngFor MTT's:Played 5313 cashes (25%)3 finals (6%)1 top 3 (2%)Total Winnings: $152Biggest Cash: $49Biggest Buy-in: $5
If you ask me, the $2.20 turbo 180 man SNG's are a great way to build a bank roll. But you have to remember that only the top 18 get paid and you only double your stake. The real money is in the top 2 places $72 for 2nd and $108 for 1st. I don't think your roll is in good shape to take these sng's though as you could quite easily find yourself broke before you've had a big score in these. I tend to play 2-4 of these at at time and my roll is $380ish. Keep doing what your doing...there are some good MTT's out there for you, $2.20 $3,000 Guaranteed on Stars is one of my grinding favs. When I had a similar roll I loved the $1.75 18 man turbo SNG's often playing 6 at a time. You only need to average winning one of these sng's every 6 to make a small profit. I highly recommend.Good luck!Using my formula (taken from Jesus) you should be sitting down in cash games and SNG's with $4.70 and playing only $1.88 MTT's.
  • 3 weeks later...
I'd say you start playing cash games. You can jump into 2c/5c NL and move up to 5c/10c NL once you get to $150 or so. Just play basic ABC poker and you'll be up to 25c/50c NL within 20-30K hands.
The worst advise ever.