Is There A Moving Up "period Of Adjustment"?

I've fallen in love with the $5 18-person MTT!! It's such a soft game & I cash in just above 70% of the time. So, I naturally moved up to the $10 game. Here I am cashing in about 10% of the time. After a nice hit to my small bankroll, I've moved back down to the $5 game & again I'm killing it. Is there really that much of a difference in play? Or maybe I just have hit a bad run of cards. Is it normal to go thru a period of play adjustment at a new level? Any basic advice out there?

Most important queston: how many of them did you play at $5 before moving up?Variance can be a bitch in SnGs, and the larger the SnG the wider swings you get. Statistically speaking you need a few thousand results to get an accurate read on your success at a particular level, but you can usually get a rough idea of whether you're a winning player or not after a couple hundred. You can easily go through a nice run that lasts 30 or 40 tournies and then go through a rough patch that lasts just as long.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, as you move up the players ability will become better, but I have found sometimes at any level you can get in "good" and "bad" sit n go tables. I agree with everything jmbreslin said about playing alot of tournies to see how your doing at one level. 500 would be a good solid foundation of getting a feeling of if you are profiting enough to move up.

Cashing in 70% of these is nowhere near sustainable. Most likely you have been running like god in the 5s and running slightly below expectation in the 10s. Im not sure if there is a period of adjustment in sngs but even if there is it will still be worth it to move up if your good enough to beat them handily in the long term and have the bankroll.I play almost 100% cash games and I believe there is a small period of adjustment that takes place due to the increase in the size of the pots. In sngs or tourneys where your playing with tourney chips there probably isn't as high of a period of adjustment on your end anyways as when compared to cash games, but there still probably is a period of adjustment just getting used to the higher prizepool and slightly tougher competition.