Bottom line:There's really no real way for McCain to pull this thing off if he doesn't take Pennsylvania. If he can win that state, he has several scenarios to the White House (he'd still need to get lucky in other states, but it's realistic). If he doesn't, he's going home with the parting gift.I think we'll know pretty early on if this is going to be an Obama victory or if it's going to be a nail biter based on early Pennsylvania polls. Those are the ones I'm going to be looking at on Tuesday. If they resemble the current polls, McCain's going to lose. In order for me to get nervous on election day, I'd have to see the early Penn. polls start to be noticeably different from what we're seeing right now. If not, we're going to know who the next President is before 5 o'clock.
qft
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line:There's really no real way for McCain to pull this thing off if he doesn't take Pennsylvania. If he can win that state, he has several scenarios to the White House (he'd still need to get lucky in other states, but it's realistic). If he doesn't, he's going home with the parting gift.I think we'll know pretty early on if this is going to be an Obama victory or if it's going to be a nail biter based on early Pennsylvania polls. Those are the ones I'm going to be looking at on Tuesday. If they resemble the current polls, McCain's going to lose. In order for me to get nervous on election day, I'd have to see the early Penn. polls start to be noticeably different from what we're seeing right now. If not, we're going to know who the next President is before 5 o'clock.
youre going to have to wait for the results, not the exit polls.

I was just reading about the Bradley Effect. It is based on an election that happened in 1982. In all likelihood they have improved the polling methods since then to minimize of even eliminate any errors. You know how quickly things evolve in this country! So the effect may be minimal.

I'm starting to feel like McCain has a real chance. On the yahoo political dashboard McCain is trending up in PA, OH, VA, and NC, which are obviously key for him. If the trend continues he can definitely take them all down...it may come down to Florida again. If he wins those states he doesn't need to win any of the western battleground states.

I was just reading about the Bradley Effect. It is based on an election that happened in 1982. In all likelihood they have improved the polling methods since then to minimize of even eliminate any errors. You know how quickly things evolve in this country! So the effect may be minimal.
They dont adjust for it because there isnt large enough a sample to make an assessment of its value. There are also more recent possible examples, including Bobby Jindal in 2003. You may even see a "reverse" Bradley effect, with Black voters unwilling to tell a pollster that they arent voting for Obama.
I'm starting to feel like McCain has a real chance. On the yahoo political dashboard McCain is trending up in PA, OH, VA, and NC, which are obviously key for him. If the trend continues he can definitely take them all down...it may come down to Florida again. If he wins those states he doesn't need to win any of the western battleground states.
Thats McCain's 3% chance. He has to win PA, OH, VA, NC and FL. He literally cannot win the election without all five of those states. I dont think he will even get 4 but thats just a guess I suppose.
Thats McCain's 3% chance. He has to win PA, OH, VA, NC and FL. He literally cannot win the election without all five of those states. I dont think he will even get 4 but thats just a guess I suppose.
If he can swing CO then he can lose VA or NC.
Level? I sure hope so.GW/Battleground Bush +4Rasmussen Bush +1.7TIPP +2.6FOX News Kerry +2CNN/USAT/Gallup Bush +2CBS/NY Times Bush +3 (oops liberal elites got it right on!!!)ARG Kerry +1Newsweek Bush +6realclearpolitics avg 2004 Bush +22004 results Bush +3POLLS ARE ALWAYS WRONG!!!realclearpolitics avg 2008 Obama +6.4MCCAIN IS REALLY UP!!!
I didn't say McCain was really up. Nice reading.
I don't think McCain has a real chance. I just hope the map doesn't look completely blue. That 1984 map would make me want to kill myself if I was a dem. I don't want to experience that.
I don't think McCain has a real chance. I just hope the map doesn't look completely blue. That 1984 map would make me want to kill myself if I was a dem. I don't want to experience that.
350px-ElectoralCollege1984.svg.pngthat's ridiculous.
350px-ElectoralCollege1984.svg.pngthat's ridiculous.
oh happy times from the 80's....que the music. oh what a night....
the very same that will be putting al franken into the senate
....and Jesse "the body" Ventura as the governor.
Ahh those were the days back when Montana had 4 electorial votes. :club:
..and Iowa had 8. But most importantly... CA only had 47.